Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

That's what I was thinking, I work in healthcare so I have some distant connections to that hosp. I think I'll give them a call Monday and see if they can take me on. I'm sure this happens frequently, I don't think I'm the first lap bander to move! Thanks for the reply.

Good luck Yoops...

I also moved... from west Michigan to east... many doctors seem not to want to take on another's patient. But a 3 hour drive was too much for me, especially in the winter!!:omg: Even though all my followup support services were pre-paid in Grand Rapids, I did find a new guy over here and I'm doing well. I'm sure that somebody here from yooperland will have someone to recommend. Be sure to check the DOCTORS/HOSPITALS board here at LBT..... doctors themselves often reply.

Hello, Im Rose! I am in Ann Arbor and I am at the beginning of the process. Is anyone else in Ann Arbor? I'd love to talk to those who have been banded and see if this is the right option for me.

Hello, Im Rose! I am in Ann Arbor and I am at the beginning of the process. Is anyone else in Ann Arbor? I'd love to talk to those who have been banded and see if this is the right option for me.

Hi Rose.. I'm in Alpena.. way up north. We started the process back in January and I got banded April 10th. DH got banded May 22. We call those our "re"birth days. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It has been the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Teach, I noticed your age. When I got mine 4 yrs ago, I had just turned 50. I was told then that they were trying to put an age limit on the lap band, and I was almost too old then! It looks like that issue has been dropped. Did they try to give you a hard time??

Teach, I noticed your age. When I got mine 4 yrs ago, I had just turned 50. I was told then that they were trying to put an age limit on the lap band, and I was almost too old then! It looks like that issue has been dropped. Did they try to give you a hard time??

Nope...not at all. My insurance's criteria is 18-60 years of age, so I fit in that. My DH got banded May 22 when he was 62. He had to wait for a pre-auth, but that came through in 5 weeks.

Hi there all,

Just back from the wonderful UP (I'm a Yooper wannabe, but that's another story), I guess I missed a lot.

I'm really upset with my doc. I was SUPPOSED to have my surgery June 8, but he is still waiting for accredidation (sp) with both Harper Hospital at the DMC and St. John Hospital in Detroit. So, when I left for the UP, I was told NOT to do the two week liquids, because no guarantee of surgery date.

I'm thinking about seeing another doc. The doc has to take medicare, though. Dr. Deol does not, so she's out. Thinking about Bi-County Hospital's docs, although I'm still not sold on a DO rather than an MD.

Any thoughts? All suggestions gladly accepted and scrutinized .

Thanks,

Julia

Hi there all,

Just back from the wonderful UP (I'm a Yooper wannabe, but that's another story), I guess I missed a lot.

I'm really upset with my doc. I was SUPPOSED to have my surgery June 8, but he is still waiting for accredidation (sp) with both Harper Hospital at the DMC and St. John Hospital in Detroit. So, when I left for the UP, I was told NOT to do the two week liquids, because no guarantee of surgery date.

I'm thinking about seeing another doc. The doc has to take medicare, though. Dr. Deol does not, so she's out. Thinking about Bi-County Hospital's docs, although I'm still not sold on a DO rather than an MD.

Any thoughts? All suggestions gladly accepted and scrutinized .

Thanks,

Julia

I loved my doctor, Dr. Bhesaina at Port Huron Hosp. Also, everyone I know who had Dr Bout there thought he was great too. Where do you live?

I loved my doctor, Dr. Bhesaina at Port Huron Hosp. Also, everyone I know who had Dr Bout there thought he was great too. Where do you live?

I live in Warren, which is @ 90 or so miles away. I saw my doc's assistant today & she claims the signature should be available "by next week". Keep your fingers crossed. There are several good hospitals in the area which do this work. So I do have options.

I too had Dr. Bhesania in Port Huron and think he's TERRIFIC!!! You can't beat that hospital and staff for lap band surgery. I recommend it to everyone who is in traveling distance of the Port Huron hospital.

I have been reading more and more lately where people who are newly banded are saying that they have gained weight in the first couple of weeks after surgery. Have any of you that have been banded experienced that? I am going for my surgery on 7-09-07 and I am excited.... but I just don't want to be too disappointed if I gain at first.

karen

I have been reading more and more lately where people who are newly banded are saying that they have gained weight in the first couple of weeks after surgery. Have any of you that have been banded experienced that? I am going for my surgery on 7-09-07 and I am excited.... but I just don't want to be too disappointed if I gain at first.

karen

It is quite common to gain. Usually you have lost fast from the liquid diet pre-op (if you had one). Those folks seem to gain the most in the first couple of weeks, but lots of people who didn't have the pre-op diet gain too. It is from all the IV Fluid you get during surgery. Don't worry about gaining, the first four to six weeks are for healing, not weight loss. It will start coming off.

Hi everyone, by any chance have any of you gotten a medical alert Bracelet for the lap band? I was just wondering because I read somewhere that it is a good idea to have one to alert any medical staff about the band should the need arise. Hope everyone is having a good day...16 more days until i"m banded!

Hi James,

Yes actually I just ordered a new one today with LapBand added to it.

I think it's very important-you may not always be able to answer questions in case of emergency and frankly a lot of times it's not asked.

I have to wear one anyway but I figured it can't hurt to let medical personnel

know esp if your abdomen was injured or you were unconcious. I'm a nurse and know I would always prefer to know these things about a patient right away in case of emergency.

-Sara

p.s. I have a friend that makes custom ones that are really cool, pm me if you want her website.

Hi All,

I'm from northern lower michigan and looking into going to the Traverse City Bariatrics program. It's semi-new but they sound like great people. I sent in my paper work to the TC doc's and am waiting on my doctor to send in a referal letter - this should get things rolling.

Misty