Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where are all the Michigan people at??

Hey there Judy! I wish I had known you were there on Tuesday. I had my appt with Dr. Boutt Tuesday at 3:30. I would have loved to say Hi! I was down another 11 pounds since my last visit. 64 pounds GONE!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Hi All :wave:

1st post here. I've been thinking about having LB surgery for about two years now but with all my health problems piling up I thought it was time to get serious. I've read so much but not sure where or who to go to. I live near St. Joseph Hospital in Pontiac where DR Pleatman works out of but I've read some very good things about DR Doel. I think I would be more comfortable with a woman DR but I would use who ever is the best for me in the long run.

About myself: I live in Pontiac, Michigan. 53 yrs old, 262 lb., 5' 6" with several health problems:

• severe sleep apnea
  • high blood pressure
  • back pain all the time (had 3 back surgeries already)
  • am supposed to have neck surgery due to bad discs but would rather try and get the weight off and see if that helps the pain
  • High cholesterol
  • short of breath doing anything
  • etc., etc., etc.

I have 2 grand children (3 yrs old grandson and 3 weeks old granddaughter) whom I cherish and want to spend most of my time with since I am unable to work due to my bad back, but am unable to now due to so much aches and pains and tired all the time from sleep apnea (unable to use cpap much). My husband who I know loves me doesn't know how to help or support me. He is a shy/hate hospitals kind of guy so he wouldn't be a good supporter for me even though I love him to death. And everyone else I've talked to works a lot. So that could be a problem. Don't you have to have a supporter before you can see the DR?

OK sorry for rambling and winning. Let me just end by saying I've read many messages here and you all sound like a great group of people. Thank you for your caring and great information.

HUGS :) , Brenda

Welcome Brehere,

Dr. Deol is my surgeon. She is the most compassionate, caring doctor I have ever met. I went to other doctors first, but when I found her my search was over. I suggest you go to her seminar. That's a great place to start, you can get all the info you need, get your questions answered, and get a feel for Dr. Deol to see if you want to go any further in her care. The next seminar is June 5th and again on June 29th. Her web sight is www.MichiganBariatricSurgery.com and the office phone# is (586) 737-2810. Normally they are in the office Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week. They are probably closed this Monday for the Holiday. Hope this helps you with your decision. Good luck!

Hi Brehere,

I too am a patient of Dr. Deol's. I just found out last week that insurance approved me so she will be doing surgery July 9Th! I have found her to be such a compassionate person. As a matter of fact when I went in to Beaumont for my upper GI last week she stopped in to talk to me and reassure me of any questions I had. Rebecca her office assistant is wonderful too. She will take all the time you need to help you through the process. I am glad I chose Dr. Deol. I just could not say enough about her. I live in Commerce Twp, so I am not that far from you and the drive to her office is not bad either. good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Hi April & James,

Thank you so much for the replies. It is a very big help to me knowing how you feel about Dr Doel. I'm 99% sure I will be using her if I can get our insurance to pay for the surgery. I had already called last week and made a reservation to go to her seninar. They told me that the next one was July 10th at 7PM. Wonder if they were already filled up for the earlier ones.

Wow April! 60 lbs gone. That is so awsome. Way 2 go!

James, That's really great that you have been approved and already have a surgery date. I was wondering if it isn't to much trouble could you keep me posted on how it's going? Guess what I really should do is get that appointment made to see Dr Doel so I will know what I need to do.

Right now I'm not sure what else I should be doing other than go to the siminar. Wish there was a list in order that I could follow. Does Dr Doel have such a list? Anyway, thank you for the great info. I look forward to hearing how you and everyone else is doing with there LB journey.

Good Luck to you. Take care.

Hugs, Brenda in MI

Brehere,

You are right, the best start is with her seminar. That is packed with so much information for you. Take your husband to the seminar. I am sure he will get so much out of it too. Mine was so unsure of this before going with me, but came out a huge supporter.

You will have to start with your physical first from your primary care physican. I had that done before I went to see her so I could take that information along with a letter from my doctor saying I was OK for surgery. You could also call Rebecca to find out just what blood work your PC needs to do. Dr. Deol does give you a check list of who you will need to see, but if your insurance pays for it I suggest also getting a cardio work up done before you see her. The rest she will help you with.

This week I see the nutritionist and my last appt. with psychologist. Then it is just waiting for July 9th. Good luck, and I will keep you posted.

Karen James

April,

60 pounds is great. I love your little " MILF in progress"... ahh, my ultimate goal too. Do you know why your band slipped? Did Dr. Deol have to replace the whole band or did it fall back in to place on its own? Just curious because I had asked her if they could fall back in place on their own and she told me they could... occasionally.

Karen james

:clap2: Wow Karen! Your on your way. That is awsome. Thank you very much for the info. I am seeing my pcp next week. Hope all goes smooth and I don't run into any delays. I have read that some people have waited over a year or more from the time they started the process to the actual surgery day. Sure hope it won't take that long for me.

Oh, I was wondering if your insurance oks the surgery does that include the visits to the nutritionist, the psychologist, etc.?

Thanks again for your help and I wish you a speedy and smooth LB journey.Take care.

Hugs :), Brenda in Pontiac, MI

Hey there Judy! I wish I had known you were there on Tuesday. I had my appt with Dr. Boutt Tuesday at 3:30. I would have loved to say Hi! I was down another 11 pounds since my last visit. 64 pounds GONE!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Well Shoot, Josette!!! I would have loved meeting you too! I go back for my fill on the 5th of June.

Congrats on your weight loss!! That's a major accomplishment!!!

I too was impressed with Dr. Deol and found her seminar very informative, but I just didn't have the extra $$ for her "mandatory" support group fee (I believe it is $800, but someone who is her patient could say for certain) in addition to the $1,000 deductible for my insurance company, plus what it would have cost me out of pocket to use the doctors she sends you to for your pre-op stuff.

The extra $$ is a big consideration for me.

Faith... I totally agree. She was my initial choice until all the fee's were uncovered and then I couldn't afford it anymore. I then decided to go to Port Huron because I heard great things about them and I love my doctor there more then I liked Dr Deol. He's amazing and funny and very caring. I feel lucky I found him.

From Dr. Deol's website I was very impressed but from reading the thread it looks like she had some hidden cost. Have anyone tried the Barix clinic in Yspilanti? My mom had her gastric bypass there about 6 years ago and was well impressed. I was thinking about going there but I wanted somewhere close , I live in the Troy area.

Wow a lot of new bandsters from Michigan, and of course Tennessee. Rodeo? what Rodeo? just kidding it usually comes to the local fairgrounds.My name is Shirley, and feel free to get in touch any time. I was bandae by Dr. Jeffrey Genaw at Henry Fords Hospital on 10/31/06. So you can also find me under October Bandsters. I'm in st. clair shores. So check in sometimes.

Hi, I'm new here, so I'll tell you a little about me. I had the band done by Dr. Bhasania on Feb. 3, 2003. I was 315, I got down to 188 when I had my last fill in April 2004. I moved from the area to the Upper Penninsula. I haven't been able to see the doctor since then. My weight continued to go down for the next 5 months. But then it started to creep back up. I think my low wt was 160. I am now back to 200. I'm even doing nutrisystem but it's very very slow. (I have lost 17.5 in 2 months)

There is now a Dr. in Marquette who does this surgery. I'm wondering if it's possible to have a different Dr. pick up where the original one left off. I'm sure I'm not the first person to move away from the doctor's area.

Does anyone know the answer?

I would check with the Doctor in Marquette. Chances are if his practice there is "newer" he would be willing to take on a patient from a different doctor. Plus seeing as the UP is less densely populated as down here chances are he would take you on as a patient. There may be some kind of fee involved though.