Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From Lap Band To Gastric Bypass

Hello all, thanks for the happy anniversary wishes. I have some sad news and some good news. I had to have my band removed in May after loosing 97lbs. which was the happiest I have ever been in my life. That's saying a lot at the age of 56. Scar tissue developed to the point where nothing was going down and what was supposed to be a 45 min. procedure turned into 2 hrs bec. there was so much scar tissue.

My Dr. suggested I go ahead and have the gastric while he was removing the scar tissue but I decided against it due to my husband's and my fear of the surgery. BIG MISTAKE! Hubby was supposed to be my support and we were going to exercise and he was going to lose 50lbs and I would keep my weight down. NOT! I have gained back 60lbs and he has not lost 1lb. Of course my life has been miserable, all the old pains have returned, back pain, knee pain, arthritis pain in shoulders worsened due to weight gain and the most painful my type 2 diabetes is returning. I was taken off of 3 diff. meds. 1 which I had to take twice a day and put on 1 small injection of Victoza. I cannot get back into my clothes size 12-14 from 24 -26 & I buy the size 20 I'm in now as needed.

After much discussion with my husband and our both going back to talk to the Dr. about the gastric bypass and asking more precise questions about what went wrong with the lap band I opted to go ahead and have the procedure done. As it turned out the plastic from the band caused the scare tissue. By metal staples being used for the gastric I will not have that problem this time around. I had to repeat some steps like the psych eval. but I was willing to do everything that needed to be done.

This was in the early part of December. Yesterday I got a call from the Hospital saying my insurance had been approved for the gastric bypass. I jumped up and down, praising the Lord and asking him to watch over me and the Dr. I'm scheduled for sometime in February and I look forward to the new me, AGAIN. Keep me in your prayers.

I'm sorry about your weight re-gain, but most surgeons don't like to do revision surgery at the same time as band removal anyway, because they want the area to heal completely first.

I'm sure someone will jump in and ask you why you haven't considered revising to the sleeve (which often isn't covered by health insurance), so I'll skip along and tell you that I personally know of 2 bandsters who revised to gastric bypass. One had some complications from the surgery but is now recovered and doing fine. The other had no complications and is also doing fine and happy about her revision. Both revised due to slow or disappointing weight loss with the band. Interestingly, they're both finding weight loss to be slow even with the bypass, which makes me wonder if something else is going on in their body to "fight" the bariatric procedure.

Congratulations! You are in my prayers ... but we both know, 'it is done'.

Good luck, I hope all goes well

That must be so frustrating. It also proves( for me at least) that even with the best intentions most of us are not able to keep the weight off without that additional assistance. I am sure once you have the bypass you will soon be back to a trim healthy you.

All the best.

I am thinking about having a revision to the gastric bypass and am wondering how this went for you. Does it feel different then the band? Is eating a lot different then you ate when you had the band?

I am thinking about having a revision to the gastric bypass and am wondering how this went for you. Does it feel different then the band? Is eating a lot different then you ate when you had the band?

Actually it doesn't feel all that different. With the gastric, the recoup time was longer, up to 4 weeks which I took full advantage of due to my line of work, whereas it only took 2 wks for the band. The diet for the band was simpler but just as important that you follow the rules. Why are you thinking about switching if you don't mind my asking.

I've been Having a hard time with my band! Can't seem to find the "green zone" for me! So frustrating. I go from not being able to eat and throwing everything up because the band is too tight. When I go and have a tiny bit if Fluid taken out im I'm able to eat enough for two! Never full! It will be 3yrs in August for me. I lost 60 and have gained back 24. Right now I keep losing and gaining the same 10lbs. Considered a revision. What steps did u have to go through to have the bypass?

Thank you for your reply. I had really bad anxiety right after getting the band, They told me it was from the med Reglan that they gave me. I lost 75 lbs the first year, had my galbladder out and after that I just started gaining the weight back. I have gained almost all of the wight back now and the band seems to be getting more and more uncomfortable. As with mlliemac, I never found the green zone again. I am just starting the process and don't know if there's even a chance for a revision. I have had my band for 6 yrs.

Goldenlady5, im sorry im a new bandster and im here wondering, what is scar tissue and how does that happen? Can anyone please explain? I would appreciate the info. Thanx

Goldenlady5, im sorry im a new bandster and im here wondering, what is scar tissue and how does that happen? Can anyone please explain? I would appreciate the info. Thanx

Scar tissue forms during the process of healing after an injury or surgery. When you fall and scrape your knee, the scab that forms is the initial part of the healing process. The same thing happens internally as a result of surgery. The body is trying to mend and reconnect the tissues that were cut apart. the collagen and other Proteins that the body uses to do this tend to connect in a different way than undamaged tissue does, so the scar tissue becomes thicker and more rigid than normal tissue.

How much scar tissue forms as a result of band (or other) surgery depends on the individual. Scar tissue formation is not abnormal, but it can be difficult for a surgeon to deal with when performing surgical procedures (such as band removal) later on. If the patient has had several abdominal surgeries in her/his lifetime, there will probably be more scar tissue to complicate things. For example, my bariatric surgeon says that I'm a challenge to work on because I no longer have a "virgin belly". I have scar tissue from band placement, a port revision, band removal, and (further south) a hysterectomy. If a patient has a lot of scar tissue, a surgical procedure will take longer to perform, and the surgeon may decide that the patient's body needs time to heal (and, unfortunately, form more scar tissue!) before another bariatric procedure can be done safely.

My doctor has problems accessing my port due to scar tissue that has formed.i often wonder when he will not be able to get it. My body forms A LOT of scar tissue.

My doctor has problems accessing my port due to scar tissue that has formed.i often wonder when he will not be able to get it. My body forms A LOT of scar tissue.

I can't remember where, but the other day I read that scar tissue usually softens as time goes on.