Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Use Anthem Bcbs For Lap Band Surgery?

I am trying to get myself prepared for what to expect when I finally get up the nerve to talk to my doctor about getting banded. I am wondering if anyone has used Anthem BCBS insurance? What hoops did u have to jump thru? How long did it take? I have trouble keeping my eye on the prize when it comes to having to go thru so many steps to even getting started. So I hope that knowing what to expect from the beginning will help. I know everyone says it all depends on ur insurance so if anyone has went thru Anthem BCBS, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

I do, you will have to most likely have complete a three month supervised diet. You will need to two years of medical history of your weight from your PCP. Having a high BMI and a co-morbidity will help with your insurance. Make sure that you choose a Doctor and staff that has a person that primary job is to work with insurance. That will be a huge asset.

I have Anthem BCBS or BCBS of California or ... I don't know, it seems the name changes EVERY year. I know at one point (and it's on the "back" of my insurance card) it was called Anthem BCBS. The main office for our firm is in NY, and from what I understand BCBS is different in every state. All that said, I had my surgery in 2009 (happy with results even though I am a slow loser :) and BCBS paid for everything including a years worth of fills.

I would suggest that you go to the website for your particular insurance and check out the pre-requisites. If you have a hard time finding this info, call customer service and they help you find the right web page. It's a good idea to check your insurance website for this info so that your doc's office does not get your insurance requirements mixed up with another insurance. Knowledge IS power and when it comes to medical issues of any kind, it is good to be your own advocate.

All the best to you on your journey.

~Fran

I have(for now) BCBS of georgia also Anthem. They are relitively easy to work with. Because georgia has such a problem with obesity. You need your doctor to send a letter of medical necessity outlining any obesity related conditions you allready have or are at high risk for developing. You have to see a psychiatrist to asess you to make sure you are not mentally ill. And you have to have a visit with the nutritionist before surgery because they want you to loose about 10% of your current weight first. That is not a large number. The surgon you use must be within your network listing. and you have to have an ekg done and routine blood work. That is it. I wish you the best

I have Anthem BCBS. I had my initial consultation in August where I received a packet from my surgeon telling me everything I needed based on my insurance. I had to have the following: Psychological clearance, dietician evaluation, pulmonary clearance, letter from PCP, diet history, TSH test, upper GI. I did not have to do a three month medically supervised diet. My BMI was 49 and I have mild sleep apnea. My paperwork was submitted at the end of Nov and I got approved in less than a week. It would have been sooner than that had I not taken my time getting the clearances....i was trying to make up my mind between the lapband and bypass. Getting banded 01-05-12!!!!!! If you call Anthem...they will tell you everything that you need. Good Luck!!!

Thanks to u all for all the advice. It makes me a little more optimistic! I go to my doctor tomorrow so hopefully that will get the ball rolling!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 0 replies
    • Mr.Kantos

Just signed up. Feeling optimistic.
      · 0 replies
    • Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches