Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

questions

So this is my confession-I have spent it seems much of my adult life

worried about my weight. Since I have turned 40-I am now past obese.

I want a band. But I am scared. I hate vomiting. Can I ever go out

to dinner. Is having wine with dinner verboten. And no more

carbonation-I have had a diet coke almost every day of my adult life-

that will be challenging but I could cope.

So here is another question-I hear that this is just a tool and you

have to work it-well how do I know that I won't fail at this.

Now you have to understand that I am a highly disciplined person and

yet in this one are of my life I am not winning. Is the band the leg

up that I need?

Thank you for your answers

KK

Well you definitely need to do some research. First off, there isn't vomiting with the band. I don't know who told you that. Secondly, I gave up a 2 litre a day Dr. Pepper habit, then so can you. I don't even miss it. Missed it for about a month, then nada.

I had this same fear for some odd reason...vomiting a lot. I was just banded 2 weeks ago and have not felt nausea at all. I'm not even sure why I thought I would, I have never read of anyone being sick like that. My sister has been banded for 1 year and she has only gotten sick once and that was due to indulgence on her part.

I gave up diet coke, too, and really haven't thought much about it.

Kelli

Hi! I was drinking anywhere from 10-12 diet cokes a day and went cold turkey about 6 weeks before my surgery. I sometimes miss it - you know, the snap of the pop top and the small hiss of the carbonation. Every once in a while I'll sneak a sip of one of my kid's or husband's but that's about it. One day I even thought - how did I drink so much of this? It tastes like crap!

As far as the band, you do have to work at it. I haven't been and I'm totally kicking myself in the butt as I come close to my 1 year bandiversary at the end of March. I've spent the last 3 months working 12 hours a day and then partying almost every night. However, after my last fill last week, I changed my thinking and I've started working with it again. In fact since last Thursday I've lost 6 pounds and working out at least every other day now while drowning myself in water! I know it's a little harder with the large band to feel restriction and I think I've finally found what I was looking for.

Good luck and keep in touch! Laura

KK -

I can't tell you whether it will work for you or not, but it is a good tool to let you know when you're "full". This is one thing I never had the experience of knowing - I could eat like a pig and rarely got the feeling that I was "full". It's kind of a nice reminder to stop eating. I find that's helpful since I'm a binger.

As far as the vomiting goes --- I haven't done it yet. I think you do a trial and error to see what you can and can't eat. Nobody really wants to throw up, so they steer clear of the things that can make it happen. Each person is different and can tolerate different things. Most agree that white breads, rice and dry meats will cause problems --- although I talked to someone today in the dr's office who didn't have a problem with bread. I know I had a bad experience with salmon and will probably not try it again for a good long while. I think it's different for different people, but I can see where my reaction to some foods will keep me away from them just because I don't want to be sick or throw up. It's definitely not a deal where you just constantly throw up.

Diet Coke??? I miss it sometimes! When I'm really dying for one I get a crystal light. Something about the convenience of popping a diet coke can makes me reach for that before anything else... I'm not sure it's not just more habit than really missing it! I have been known to drink a 12 pk a day and seem to be doing ok without it.

I guess there is nothing that says this is a sure fire thing and won't fail. It can - you can still eat crap you're not supposed to. chocolate still goes down very easily for me! Luckily, the feeling full thing at least puts a clue in my head that maybe I don't need to eat 10 lbs of it.

Best of luck on your decision. I couldn't be happier with mine.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I was banded back in August. I would be lying if I said it wasn't an adjustment that you have to get used to. It's a total change as far as food goes. I got my band because I was almost 300lbs and I have a 16 month old daughter that I want to be able to chase on the beach and not feel like I am going to die.

If you have children you might relate to this. It's the only comparison I have found. You have life before kids and it's one way. When the baby comes home your whole world is torn upside down and things are just different. Your priorities change. While it's hard at first, you get used to your new life and how things are. It takes some people longer than others to adjust to the change, but when the weight starts coming off it's a HUGE motivation!

Very few times do I miss my pre-band days. I avoid buffets like the plague. They are horrible and nothing but stress because I can't eat much. I do admit I enjoy an occasional soda. I let it fizz down a bit (usually for about 1/2 an hour) and sip it VERY slowly. You can't chug it because you WILL hurt. I usually get one soda every couple weeks when I want the bubbles. The only thing is it can cause you to throw up if you drink it too fast or give you the farts. :)

I can pretty much eat a bite of anything I want. If I have a craving I eat 1-2 bites of whatever it is and either trash it or give it to someone else. I can eat a hamburger, but I have to take away the top bun, get it plain w/o lettuce and pickles and only eat 1/2 of it. You can still have what you crave, but with such limited capacity in your pouch you have to eat the healthy stuff 99% of the time. :Banane40:

Best of luck to you!