Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am three weeks post op and so hungry I feel like my stomach is eating itself! I met with my nutritionist a week ago and they said I could increase my calories to 600-800 daily if I feel I need to. They recommend 400-600 calories a day for the first 6 weeks after surgery. I understood going into this that it is not going to be an easy ride, but dang! Ive started on the purée stage and can eat tuna, canned chicken, refried Beans, cottage cheese, etc. don't get me wrong, I'm super excited to hit this stage, but to keep my calories in the 600 range, my portions are tiny and I never feel satisfied. I'm hungry an hour after eating. My surgeon told me that once the swelling went down, I'd be hungry since the band is empty. I'm eating to live, not living to eat any longer.

I was hoping I'd be one of those lucky ones that feel restriction without a fill. Unfortunately my doctors office will not do the first fill until 8 weeks after surgery.. That puts me at jan. 26. URGH!! I'm miserable and I still have another month and a half of this.

I returned to work today and people asked if I'm still happy with my decision.. My response was mostly. I really didn't expect that I would be so miserable and hungry at this stage.

I went through 2 full workups since I was at first denied by ins., 2 years of "training" and am totally blown away with how unhappy I am. Should I have gone with a bypass??? With everything I've been through medically, I wanted the least invasive wls I could get.

I know what the end result is and this isn't a post to dis the band.. I know I made the best decision for me. After two heart surgeries, a blood clot in my lungs and dealing with osteoarthritis at only the age of 31, I'm looking forward to looking and feeling healthy again! And all these feelings I'm having now will all just be a bad memory!

You have a similiar BMI as I do so that's why i am responding. I wasn't on any particular # of calories when I was in the Post-op stage but I wasn't really physically hungry either. I had a lot of head hunger and mouth hunger but I didn't have a growling stomach or shaky feeling. I personally don't think that 600-800 calories is enough food unless you've got a terribly slow metabolism. I'd drink a Protein Shake when you get hungry again. It takes a while to find the balance and without a fill, you really just have a band around the top of your stomach. It's a good time to practice eating super slow and cutting up meat in eraser sized bites.

I'm 11 months out and I eat about 1100-1300 calories a day. I did an out-patient metabolism test about a month ago which was interesting. I burn 1600 cal a day just by being alive. (breathing, organ function, digestion...) I just happen to be a slow loser, I was before the band and still am. I'm extremely envious of the people that lost 2 lbs a week consistently! Oh well, I'm down to probably 194 or so (I go to the doc on Weds) and my lab numbers have improved drastically. It's a journey that just takes longer for some people. Good Luck.

I don't know if 600 calories is healthy. I do believe that your calorie intake should be adjusted for your weight loss.

If you're losing more than 3lbs a week average over a month or so, then your likely to be losing muscle, and you

don't want that. If you follow the diet you were given. you'll probably be fine, just don't stay on it too long.

But are you really physically hungry or head hungry. Sometimes when I think I am hungry Im not and I drink Water and it goes away. If your eating Proteins such as tuna, cottage cheese, eggs you shouldnt be hungry an hours later. I would say stop counting calories right now and just eat normal portions measure out a cup of food and eat it and be done. I dont remember once I started eating tuna that I was hungry every hour. Some of that has to be head hunger because by now your stomach has gotten adjusted to less food and you shouldnt be so hungry. I would reassess the hunger part but definitely increase your calories to at least 800

Your calorie intake is way too low, no wonder you are starving! I can't imagine an office telling the patients to eat only 600 calories a day. That is not enough for a toddler, much less an adult. It will put your body into starvation mode and your body will start holding on to the fat for fear of not getting calories. At least that is what I was told from my office, and it makes sense. 1000-1200 calories is what we are supposed to be eating, depending on our level of activity. When you start getting fills, you will be so much happier. You have to stick it out until then. Drink Protein Shakes, eat low calories foods, eggs, soft cheese. I know you are in rush to lose weight, you want to see results now, I was in that same mind set too, but now I have realized that If i lose it too fast, my skin won't have time to shrink and may result in needing another surgery to get rid if the excess skin. Stick with it, you can do it! There are lost of people here that can help, just post to us when you need a pep talk. Good Luck

I'm sure some of it is head hunger.

My stomach is growling so badly it's making me nauseous. I've even had episodes where I get dizzy and feel like I'll pass out. When I was first banded, the first week or so.. I was rarely hungry, but had the urge to eat.. That's what I feel head hunger is. What I'm experiencing now is mostly stomach growling. It's not necessarily always an hour when I start feeling hungry again. Could be 1.5-2 hrs sometimes. I keep my Protein Powder with me all the time in case I need a shake, but at 180 calories a pop with skim milk, I'd be way over 600 calories a day if I had one every time my stomach growled.

I'm going to bump my calories up to 800 amd see how it goes. My doctors office put lap band and bypass patients on the same diet. I think this is horrible. Not only do I feel like a failure for not bing able to maintain a 400-600.calorie day, I've started regretting choosing the lapband.

That seems ridiculous to me since bypass is much more invasive than the band. With the actual cutting of the stomach, the bypass patients should need to take it easy but the band requires no cutting and doesn't take long to heal. Up your calorie intake, if you are feeling dizzy, your body is telling you to eat, your blood sugar is too low.

I asked my nutritionist about calories, and she said calories will not even be a factor for the first year. Listen to you body, and recognize the feeling of actual hunger. If you need to have a shake or something, then do it. You can't be under nourished, you'll go crazy!

I agree jayres14. I will tell them my experiences when I go back in for my fill next month. Thank you all for the support! I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but hopefully with a few small changes it may be bearable until I receive my fill.

Hey Ang! I'm just about a week out of surgery, I know 3 weeks is a BIG difference but are you drinking all your Water? That will help a lot. And I know a huge part of this whole process for me, is figuring out when you are actually hungry and when you just think you should be eating. But I agree with everyone else, 600-800 calories is not very much... Maybe just focus on drinking your water when you are hungry and if you are still starving, have a little something. But just as some encouragement, my dad who had lapband 2 years ago always tells me, YOU WILL EAT AGAIN! Just get through the next month and I think things will get better! :-)

I am four weeks out ofnsurgery and this Thursday it will be five so I am where you are not. I haven't been counting any calories. My hunger is a stomach growl and not in the head trust me so when I am I eat or drink a shake. A day for me is oatmeal, yougart, Soup, fruit and for dinner lately a small salad or chicken salad and if I'm still hungry sugar free Jello. I know the difference between head hunger and my stomach taking to me so I just say eat when you are hungry and make it Protein as it will keep you full longer.

Good luck and wishing you much success!

Sweetie, I'm jumping on the bandwagon here and encouraging you to EAT MORE. Not tons more, just more - 800 calories is NOT too much and if you are constantly hungry, you will soon become depressed. That's no way to be a success at anything! I'm 10 days out and I'm just starting to get my appetite back, so I know what you're going through. If it would make you feel better, get a second opinion from a family doctor or nutritionist. Blessings to you!

You need at least 800 calories a day and you need to eat if you are truly hungry. Thats the whole point of the band...its not a diet. You are on the right track and yes, this part sucks, but I promise in a year or two (its not a race) you'll be laughing about all of it! Be nice to yourself!

everyone has offered so many good suggestions. I am glad you joined this forum, think what you would do if you didn't have anyone to talk to!

I don't understand what your docs are thinking, the dizzy part scares me the most. you have been eating the right stuff, just not enough of it!!!

please keep us informed as you start to eat more.

praying for your health....