Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

hair loss...what's up with that!

Help.......I have heard time and time again that lap band patients do not lose their hair. Why then am I losing more and more hair everyday. I eat the right foods like Proteins, Protein Drinks daily, veg. and fruit. I am so worried that before long it will all be gone. Has anyone experienced the same thing and if so what are u doing to stop it? :help:

I think there are a lot of posts on this forum about Hair loss after banding. It's not the band; it's supposedly the anesthesic that causes the hair loss in many people. I'm going thru the same thing and I didnt have a lot of hair before, so I'm really having a tough time. BUt I keep reading that any hair lost will come back. I hope so!

I had the same problem with Hair loss thought it would never end I was told to eat more protien which did not help. I called some health food stores for protien mixes and the clerk suggested I try a vitaim b complex and it worked the hair stopped falling out so quickly and is comming back in :clap2:. You might want to try it.

Hi Chez, Are you getting enough fat in your diet? From prior dieting experience I found that whenever I totally excluded fat I started losing my hair. Take a look at your intake - your body needs some fat each day as part of a balanced and healthy diet. It's only when we go overboard that fat becomes a problem.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.

Lou

From everything I've heard and read, there is nothing that will really help with hair loss after surgery, childbirth, whatever other trauma is causing it. The good news is that it WILL stop, and your hair will come back to its self within a few months.

I experienced it after surgery, but it's a distant memory now and the only thing I did to deal with it was get a slightly different haircut. :cool:

There are several threads about this subject, you might want to do a search on it. I lost a lot of my hair, but it all grew back. In fact, if you feel your scalp you are probably already growing in new hairs. My doctor told me it was hormones and nothing I could take or do would help it, it will grow back in pretty fast.

HI,

I also am losing hair. I however know I am not getting enough Protein. This has been a problem since I am filled up more and the restriction makes it hard for me to eat meats. I put a powder from of Beta-protein in soft foods or liquids to make sure I get enough Protein. Too early to tell just yet if it is working but I am trying what my nutrionist said. Will keep you posted. Good luck.

Janieh123

Me too!

Ive tried Rogaine, and my face and hands swelled I looked like a sumo wrestler.

Ive tried Nioxin, and that was just a expensive smelling Shampoo & conditioner with a spray on treatment which only left my scalp red.

Didn't notice any difference in the thickness or regrowth of my hair.< /p>

Anyways......Before surgery,

I had finally been able to grow it out to have the latest longer style and then got a glimpse of it in the mirror one morning and saw just how thin I had become on top. My mom had RNY and now wears a wiglet.(Thats a 1/2 wig which is on the top of your head and it blends in with your own hair.) I talked with her and was almost ready to go and research the wiglet thing, and went in for my "FEBRUARY BLUES" hair make over, usually I try the dye job at home by myself and end up spending double to get it fixed, but this time I went in and had "JUST A TRIM" in mind and ended up at a "WEAK MOMENT" and said "CUT IT!" She layered it up on top and the sides and I cried for a couple days off and on. I actually had a lot of "looks nice" comments on it and have decided it isn't so bad. I do have to say though, I don't like having to style it every day. Since it was long before, I could get up and do the pony tail thing, but since getting it layered I have to do it every morning. I guess I'll just live with styling for now and increase my Protein and hopefully it will grow, grow, grow and not fall out any more. One of the docs I work with said a B-complex Vitamin would help, or check my thyroid, or my B-12 level, or check my Iron. Well...... I already am on synthroid, I already am taking a Multivitamin, and separate iron suppliment, however I need to look into the B-complex vitamin thing.

In the meantime it's still February and well.... I..am kinda sick of the color of my hair so...... no I will not "GO INTO THE PHONE BOOTH" as my aunt calls it.(doing the dye job myself) My mom thinks that I should wait until my hair recovers from the thinning and well.... I probably will. But then again... It is Feburary!!!!!

Can you tell I get the winter blues?

Well anyways good luck to all you out there with the hair woes.

Just know your not in this boat by yourself. There's a phone booth out there for everyone!

Schel

Help.......I have heard time and time again that lap band patients do not lose their hair. Why then am I losing more and more hair everyday. I eat the right foods like Proteins, Protein drinks daily, veg. and fruit. I am so worried that before long it will all be gone. Has anyone experienced the same thing and if so what are u doing to stop it? :help:
The same thing happened to me when I was on Atkins. My doctor told me it was from the diet and start taking GNC womens Hair,Skin& Nail Vits...I did and problem sloved...so before I was banded I started taking them again...My banding DR. has a warning in his take home book for us that this(hair loss) can happen..TRY GNC VITS...I get mine at Rite Aid.

I started losing handfuls of hair about 3 months post op. It continued for about 6 weeks. I upped my Protein, plus took a B-12 and Biotin daily. No more hairloss now. Oh BTW my hair is alot healthier and more manageable now!

I lost tons and tons of hair but now at almost eight months out it's stopped and new hair is growing back in.

Biotin. That's the key. Talked to my hairdresser when I was losing the hair and she recommended it. She also recommended this to my friend who had RNY and it immediately stopped her Hair loss (substantial!) and got her hair growing again.

It's good stuff!! Give it a whirl!!

My hair has always been really thick, then I started to notice a lot in the shower and I could tell it had really started to thin out, I did a search of past post and found that a lot of people experienced the same thing, came to the conclusion that it was from the anesthetic, because I had been on all kinds of diets before and never had this problem, but I had not had any surgeries before, and I was really sick after ward, anyway long story short, I take Biotin, on top of my all the other supplements that I am taking, it is helping, not seeing much in the the shower. thank goodness. good luck to all

qqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqCan you guys clarify what Biotin is? Is it a pill, or a topical thing you put on your hair? I'm 7 months out and I've been losing hair for about 4 weeks now. I'm just about ready to cut it all off, and it has me really bummed.

I get plenty of Protein and fat, and I've been under anesthesia many times and never lost hair, so I'm at a loss as to why I'm losing it all of the sudden. I just had my thyroid tested too, and it's fine. The hormone thing makes the most sense. I guess the reason doesn't really matter, I just want it to stop!

Thinking of going chin length and blonde... DH is gonna kill me. :D