Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Years Later.. Better Late Then Never

Well I first joined this site 4 years ago. I started the process then stopped due to having my third baby and didn't pick back up. On the 15th of November I was diagnosed with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. And my doctor told me I need to lose the weight and keep it off or else my liver would begin to fail after 20 years. Talk about a wake up call! I've got 3 kids and I want to live past 48 years of age. So I contacted my weight loss doctor. They ran my insurance and I still qualified with all my prerequisites done. So, I met with the nutritionist today and I'm waiting on the call to start my 10 day diet and find out my surgery date. I know already that I will be banded sometime in December. I have yo yoed in my diet from 270 to 209 then back up to 260. Which is where I am now. My long term goal is to get to 140 since I'm 28 and 5'3 with a medium build. But I can't wait to start this new journey. My doctor said I could be off work from 2 weeks to a month. What's the average down time after being banded and being able to have full mobility ? I look forward to joining the bandster club and getting back to being healthy and having a good support group.

What kind of work do you do? I could easily, and I mean easily, been back at a desk job inside of a week. I'd have been tired, but that's it.

Good luck, like you say, better late than never. Its a real wake up call to have health problems at a young age isnt it? Always a shock when we find out we're not immortal.

I'm a poker dealer. And with my height my midsection and rib cage constantly hit the tables when I lean over to pull in chips or cards.

I do get to sit down a lot but it is still a lot of movement and stretching in my job , just because i can't reach lol. Thankfully though i can take off up to 2 months with my insurance and still get paid for being at home......I just don't want to be out that long. I get stir crazy after being in bed for 2 days after having my gallbladder removed.

Good luck, and best wishes. I am,also, 5'3" and feel your pain! 140 is a good size for us. I wear a size 8 and everyone says I look good. I just got through with my 1st cruise and was able to pick up a size "m" cruise dress and NOT try it on, and it fit perfectly! So, good luck, and once again, best wishes! Karen

Thank you for the support. Ya my doctor wants me Down to 115-125. But that's too skinny. When this is over I want butt and boobs and not to be counting my ribs in the mirror.

Wow, 115 to 125 is small, but I am 63 years old. My face is already getting like I could use a lift; not going to happen. 140 is where I was for years before I gained 100 lbs!!! Since my surgery, I lost that 100lbs. One again, good luck Karen

I had my gallbaldder removed and this surgery recovery was identical in terms of incision soreness. Both surgeries were very easy cor me. I can't imagine needing even two weeks off much less a month. The gas pains were much worse with the lapband surgery, but the cure for that is to keep moving! Good luck and please don't focus too much on the pain. Just see how YOU feel. Everyone deals differently! No pun intended!! lol

I was off for two weeks with my gall bladder surgery. I had food poisoning on toP of it all. And my doctor was afraid I would pop the stitches stretching against the table. The pain wasn't terrible. But the pain ive been having with my liver hurts a lot more. Especially when I couldn't take pain meds bc they needed to do more blood work.

Lol, at five ten, i think 140 is perfect for me and i wear a size eight too! Isnt it funny how two people can be such different shapes yet wear the same size? I like counting ribs, but different body types need to carry different amounts of padding. You should aim for what weight you like best, and in the book my surgeon wrote, he makes the point that you don really get any health benefits for that last 20 pounds or so, its purely cosmtic - and obviously thats debateable too.

My surgery has been set for December 16 th. I go in for the 8 day liquid diet on the 8th and then preop meeting on the 14th! I'm ready to be skinny and healthy. Wish me luck! I will post preop pictures and after weightloss pics soon!

Well i am finally a bandster! I was banded his morning and was told i would get to leave but i will be staying a night in the hospital. Ive been extremely sick to my stomach, unable to tolerate even ice chips, and my heart rate hasbgone from mid 70's to upper 40's. They want to keep an eye on me for at least 24 hours. I know this is painful now but im still hlsd i did thi. I have a horrible case of hiccups any suggestions on thiss?

I hope you start feeling better! Keep your chin up! I t will get better.

I have a sit down job and was back to work after 1 week off (but with weekends 9 days). My only concern is hitting the port incision which is the largest at like 3 inches and does hurt the longest. I would hurt pressing that against the table.