Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm just feeling like I need to eat everything I don't think I can eat after I get banded!! "Oh, I'd better get some (insert crappy food here) since I don't know if I'll ever be able to eat it again!!" And I do and I eat it.

I am about 2 months out or so from having the lap band done- I have to do a 6 month physician monitered diet - November is month 5, December month 6 then submitted to insurance, so surgery sometime in January or February 2012.

I know some people can eat whatever they want, just small amounts, some people have things they just cant' eat- and I know it's different for everyone! Thing is........

This is all completely mental.

Mental as in all in my head- I'm not hungry for this stuff, it's just the thought of MAYBE not being able to eat it again in my life!

So dumb

but help.

I went through about 2 weeks of mourning myself...i literally sat at the table and ate pizza from my favourite pizza place and just cried as i said 'goodbye' to the slice 'forever'. i did that with burgers, Pasta, mexican, etc, etc, etc...

well, i'm here to tell you that at 6 months out, i can eat anything i want to eat. i can't eat in the same quantities, but i can eat it.

i would say that it's up to you if you feel you need to go through the mourning stage, to eat whatever it is that you want to eat. you really won't be able to eat real food for about a month or so anyway, especially if you have to do the 2 week pre-op liquid diet followed by 2-3 weeks post surgery of liquids and then 1 week or so of mushies...so if you feel that you want to eat things, then go ahead and eat them.

but don't say goodbye just yet. you'll still be able to eat things like Cookies, pie, brownines, cake, pizza (if it's thin crust or if you don't have fill that is too tight)

really, if you have time to chew, chew, chew, you can eat anything. about the only thing i don't really eat is steak and bread rolls because i just get so tired of chewing. i don't really miss them all that much anyway.

anyway, mourn if you need to, but mourn the QUANTITY you'll be eating. you won't even want to attempt to eat a huge amount of stuff after you are banded. you'll be satisfied and satiated. bulk eating will be a thing of the past.

edited to say...i'm not saying 'go out and eat everything in sight', especially if you are on a monitored diet. but, rather, if there is a particular food that you just really want to have, go ahead and have it, don't feel guilty. you'll probably be able to eat your favourite things again, but just not any time soon.

i wouldn't go looking to eat foods that i haven't really had just because you think you'll never have them ever again when it's not necessary. nobody told me this before surgery, and i ate everything in sight...and GAINED a few pounds before my pre-op diet. so, anyway, sorry for the ramble, but do what you feel you need to do to prepare.

I felt the same way! And wouldn't you know it, but my surgery got moved up 4 months. And all of a sudden I didn't have months to get in all of my favorite foods. And the moment I thought I needed to start eating 6 meals a day to get all my favorites in....I got sick. Sick to where I wasn't hungry/couldn't eat for a week! In the end I had 2 days before I started my preop diet to get in my favorites. And guess what, it was pretty easy to narrow down what I wanted. And now.....3 weeks post op, I can still pretty much eat those things. I just eat way less then I would have before.

I thought I might have to go through a grieving process with food. But I really didn't! If I want some cheesecake, then I have it! But instead of a huge slice, I have one or two bites and am done. The mental aspect of eating is a hard one, but so far I have found the band to be on my side and really help me realize that I can beat my food addiction.

I wish you all the best in your journey, and keep us up to date on how you are doing :)

Your not being given a death sentence! Your being given your life back. Why would you mourn food that made you the way you are now. I dont miss it and dont want it and dont think about it. Instead of mourning food think about how well your life will be without the weight. Think about all the things you will be able to do that you couldnt before. It's not that bad.

I felt the same way. But the physcogologist said not to do a food funeral or a food bucket list. She said why do that to yourself your just setting yourself up for failure; if you think you will never be able to eat certain foods again then you won't be able to. That's not what the band is about its about eating the same things as before just less of them. I know it sounds crazy to have to eat a steak or piece of chicken cut up like its for a toddler but isn't it better to do that with a great cut of steak then not have it at all. So I say no to the food bucket list.

I try not to think of this as a diet. A very dear friend of mine, and fellow bandster recently said this is not a lifestyle change, but a change of lifestyle.. Think about it! you are gonna have a whole new life, where food is not the center of attraction! you are going to be the center of attraction! We get so stuck on mourning, but really we should be celebrating! you will understand this soon! I love my life now. I have a healthy relationship with food, it doesn't run my life. I eat what I want, but I also eat how much I want, which isn't much! IF I don't want it, I don't have it! That happens alot. So , 1 cookie, yup, half the bag? nope!

Get it? It's not that bad, just the unknown is scary. See you on the other side!!!B)

My surgery is on;y 3 weeks away and I definitely have been feeling similar. Grateful for all the responses.

I have gained 6 pounds since my consult last month OMG :( Then I mentioned having "last supper syndrome" to my surgeon today and my big fat mouth got me in trouble. My doctor is making us start our pre-op diet starts tomorrow and we (husband and I) have to go back next Wednesday to prove we are losing weight. At first I was annoyed but being the heavist I ever been (260lbs!) I guess I needed a little b*tch slapping lol. Just shakes up to 800 calories. Nice dinner for us tonight and happily starting my "LAST" diet tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Skinnymini, we weigh the same, and I have been having last supper syndrome too...so funny how the human brain works isn't it!

Before I started my preop diet, I had a list of things that I wanted to have because I wouldn't want to and/or be able to have them again. My list was: an untoasted cinnamon crunch bagel with hazelnut cream cheese from Panera bread, pizza from my favorite delivery shop, and dinner at a churrascaria (an all you can eat Brazillian steakhouse).

I had all of them, but none of them were "right". The bagel was toasted, which made the cinnamon sugar melt and it was a sticky mess. The Pizza Crust was doughy, like it wasn't baked correctly. Finally, the steakhouse that I wanted to go to was closed for a private party, so we went to a different one -- most of the meat was overcooked and dry. It was a fitting beginning to my healthy lifestyle.

I did this to. I am not sure if I can eat any of it. I just was able to start solids today lol. I havent had any solid food yet either grrrr

LMAO that reminds me couple weeks ago I went to the "Last Chinese Buffet" meal at my favorite place. When I left I was pissed $100 later and it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be! Then as I was angry driving home & it dawned on me...IF it had been sooooooo delicious and worth every penny...I would have dreamt and missed that meal for the rest of my life. So I was grateful it was like breaking up with a bad boyfriend lol no turning back. Now tomorrow I am on my pre-op diet 26 days before my surgery because my doctor wants to see the scale move. I left the office and I was sad....now that I pondered on it some more....I am grateful that he is putting my ass in motion! No choice and no turning back. Everyday as I am having those Protein shakes I am just going to keep telling myself ..."this is the last diet I will ever be on".

Before I started my preop diet, I had a list of things that I wanted to have because I wouldn't want to and/or be able to have them again. My list was: an untoasted cinnamon crunch bagel with hazelnut cream cheese from Panera bread, pizza from my favorite delivery shop, and dinner at a churrascaria (an all you can eat Brazillian steakhouse).

I had all of them, but none of them were "right". The bagel was toasted, which made the cinnamon sugar melt and it was a sticky mess. The Pizza Crust was doughy, like it wasn't baked correctly. Finally, the steakhouse that I wanted to go to was closed for a private party, so we went to a different one -- most of the meat was overcooked and dry. It was a fitting beginning to my healthy lifestyle.

It is so ironic that I took a few more minutes to read another post (and chose this one) before I shut things down for the night. I am starting my 2 weeks of liquid pre-op diet on Monday and I am feeling some of those same feelings. I had decided I would get a Breakfast sandwich at Dunkin Donuts this morning and maybe even a muffin BUT then decided that it was not going to be worth it. I ended up cooking myself a veggie omelet (with mushroom, onion, green pepper, broccoli, and put a string cheese on top) and it was so much more satisfying. I also didn't have to feel bad that I'd made a bad choice! I've worked too hard these last three months to throw it away for something that wouldn't taste as good as I think it will.

I'm encouraged to hear so many responses about being able to still have those comfort foods, but to be able to eat them in a small amount and then walk away. It will be so great to be able to eat just one cookie - maybe even a bite or two - and feel satisfied! That sounds wonderful - can't wait!!!

Thank you to all the post-op people who shared their experiences and encouragement!

I am at restriction and I can eat pretty much whatever I want. I just choose not to make high calorie/fat foods a regular food choice. There has been recent research that shows having an all or nothing mind set leads to people giving up completely on diets. It's better to allow occational treats. And I do mean OCCATIONAL. I had a work meeting this evening where I ate some cheese, and appetizers but it was not alot and I treated it like dinner trying to eat Protein and some veggies. I also went directly to the gym and did an hour work out.

Had some of those ideas last week, not my husband, he did say he'd like to drink a beer, but decided not to. I have lost 14 pounds since my first visit in Sept. so the doc was pleased and so was I. Bear stayed the same but doc was ok with that.

Pre op starts Friday for both of us. We have an invite out tonight for birthday dinner. Think I will have a piece of catfish, and a slice of brisket; nothing crazy like a buffet, just a hometown Bar B Q.

November 2011 is a good thing.