Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong?

I THINK YOUR CALORIE INTAKE IS TOO LOW. I WAS BANDED 7/11/11 AND I EAT 1000-1200 CALORIES A DAY.EVEN THOUGH I HAVE BEEN LOSING OK, I STILL HAVE HUNGER PAINS FROM TIME TO TIME. TODAY WAS MY 4TH FILL I NOW HAVE 8CC'S IN A 14CC BAND. TRUST ME I CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE... SO TELL YOUR DOCTOR'S ASSISTANT TO GET WITH THE PROGRAM OR REQUEST TO SEE THE ACTUAL DR. HIMSELF. HE WAS PAID OVER $17,000 SO HE NEED TO HIS JOB!!!!

I got my lap band in May. People ask me all the time if I would do it again and what the worst part is. Yes I would do it again. I know I would still be gaining weight if I had not. And to me the worst part is that it is slower than I thought it would be. I have only lost 25 lbs. And I know that is better that gaining even an oz. but I thought it would be more by now. I have had 3 fills and I do not know how much is in my band, they will not tell me. I had broke my foot and I am just now getting back to exercising. I think what make's this so hard is that it seems like my doctor is never happy. I say I am walking almost 4 miles she tells me I should be doing 5. I say I am go the elliptical for 25-30 min. I hear it should be longer. I went for a fill the other day and I had only lost a couple of oz. I had just got back from vacation. And she said I hadn't lost enough for a fill. And I need to work harder and come back in 4 weeks. And I should only be eating 1/2 C. of food 3 times a day, no snacking. I feel so week when I do that. She said I should be eating no more 500 - 700 cals. a day. Am I being a big baby? Am I not working hard enough? This is my first time to write anything so sorry if it's a lot. Thanks for your thoughts.

You need to remind the doctor - you are their patient -and I would be looking around to see if there were any other practices around you! They don't sound very helpful or supportive. I'm taking everything you're saying as truth as they sound like idiots....and I'm being nice! First of all you should know your fill amount! Realize has a little card so you can keep the info in your wallet in case of an emergency! Fills though should go by what you are feeling with eating...and feelings of hunger etc. The idea of SUPER low calories is all wrong though unless you have a super low metabolism - even then I'd be more inclined to eat smaller "meals" every couple of hours though and making sure you get all your Protein and Water in. Good luck and don't be afraid to speak up for yourself! They should be working with you !!! If not we're here for you...don't be afraid to share any concerns you have ...OK????? I think you should have a friend go with you for your next appoinment - especially if they are also a lapband or gastric patient...I go with a friend of mine and she with me...and we ask questions of the doctor when things get said "Like why? this or that..." That might help with their attitude...I'd drop a doctor if they talked to me like that and I'm a big wuss...was a big wuss! You're not a big baby...and I don't think that would even apply! You got my thoughts - what you do with them is up to you!

Nicki - Can you provide me of a sample of your daily menu with a <30g of carb per day regiman? I'm very interested to see what that looks like.

i messaged you!

The fact that you broke your foot and couldn't exercise is probably a big reason why you haven't lost alot of weight. I went a week without exercising (bad me) and gained 3 lbs. As far as exercise, you can only do what your body can take. Listen to your body. If you are gasping for air and pouring sweat by walking 4 miles, then I would believe it's good. I wouldn't increase until I felt comfortable because overexerting yourself is a surefire to injure yourself. Take it from me, week 1 of boot camp I pulled a muscle thinking I could keep up with people who are at least 100 lbs. lighter than me.

Also, their fill policy is stupid! Fills should not depend on the amount of weight you have loss, but how hungry you feel. Although some people would disagree with me, hunger should not be something you have to bear through. That is what we traditionally did and that's where we messed up everytime (or at least for me). I got so discouraged and hungry that I ate everything in sight! And the cycle started over. My advice is to eat when you are hungry. When you are hungry your brain or body cannot function properly. food is supposed to be fuel, so how can you possibly have enough fuel for your body to make it through the day and exercise by eating 500-700 calories?

My advice is to track your food intake religiously by using My Fitness Pal. You can set it up on a computer and always have it handy as an app (Android & Iphone) on your phone. You put in your stats and it tells you how many calories you should be eating a day to lose up to 2 lbs. per week. I'm a 27 year old female that's 5"7' and weighs 244 lbs. and it says that I should be eating like 1350 calories per day to lose 2 lbs. per week and that's not including exercise and it always says I'm eating too few calories (so what do you think about 500-700). Make sure you are drinking 64 oz. of Water per day. Ugh! I know it's a pain, but believe me it helps. Of course exercise (always at YOUR own pace)! And eat! Not Snacks, sweets, and treats (not regularly anyway), but filling, nutritious foods. I found that Protein bars were my savior. I ate the Atkins fudge brownie and Zone chocolate chip cookie dough when I was hungry. They are not too hard and don't have too many calories. I don't know about sugar, carbs, etc.

Finally, listen to yourself. Everyone always wants to give advice, but they are not YOU and don't know what's best for YOU. The PA at the fill clinic told me I shouldn't be eating Cereal in the morning for Breakfast because it had too many carbs in it. Did I listen to her? No! That's because everyone does not know what's right for YOU! I was still losing weight and sticking in a good carb range, so I chalked it up as she wanting to hear herself talk. Do I eat Cereal anymore in the morning? No, but that is because I can't eat anything! Just hot coffee and a Protein Drink. GOOD LUCK!

Thanks everyone. It's just hard to go into the doctors office feeling like you have done a good job and then get a lot negative feed back. I know I'm loosing because I have dropped two sizes and inches. I would just like for my doctor to see that I'm trying.

Thanks everyone. It's just hard to go into the doctors office feeling like you have done a good job and then get a lot negative feed back. I know I'm loosing because I have dropped two sizes and inches. I would just like for my doctor to see that I'm trying.

I know what you mean...but I hope you have a local support group you can go to for that pat on the back we all need while we're going thru this learning process... I've had good surgeons who are not good "people" persons - if you know what I mean! Take pictures as you go on your journey because that really brings the changes front and center! Don't argue you don't like to get photographed...(I didn't so I don't have a "good" starting picture)...but I know understand looking at the body changes and sizes would be more concrete with those pictures now! It's a journey and we're in it for the long haul! Thank heavens for these support groups online....Good luck... Linda