Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting back to they gym??

Hey Team!

I was banded on 9/27/11 (three weeks ago, tomorrow). I was told that I was not allowed to go back to my workout routine until I reached one month post-op. The thing is: I am not your average 250 lb woman. I have always been very active (side effect of living in Colorado). In fact, I finished a tri and a half marathon less then a month before surgery.

I have been in a bad depression for the past two weeks. I finally started to come out of it this weekend. I feel, other than my "break up" with food, that my lack of gym time has really effected me mentally. I am usually very high energy and annoyingly happy and positive. I have been kinda an a*****e lately.

What is the consensus about getting back to working out? I feel like I can go...and just take it easy.mellow.gif

I have lost 23lbs in the month since my pre-op physical (9/15/11). I have plateaued the last week and a half, so I think the gym will help me get off this damn plateau!

Has anyone started working out prior to the doctor's OK and lived to tell about it?

I'm in the same boat you are, anxious to get started, but not healed enough

to do much. My surgeon said to wait six weeks before lifting more than 10 Lbs.

I talked to the gym owner (who is a friend) and he recommended I wait.

I'm a big, strong, active guy and really feel like I could do most anything,

but I guess I'll just settle for my walks, for now.

I started back at the gym 4 days post op gradually increasing my time on the treadmill. My exercise of choice is swimming which I had to wait 2 weeks for. As long as you are not lifting weights I think you can do gradual cardio.

We all heal differently. I went back to treadmill increasing as I went. Took a class after a month. I just did abs class 2 weeks ago and felt Great!!! Definitly get back to routine and what makes you happy. Healing from the band is different for all, I'm usually active and was at the gym pre band so getting back to the gym was faster for me. Listen to your body and enjoy!!!

I was told when I am two weeks out I can go to the gym.

I am also a gym person. I was told 6 weeks but I will not go back until I am getting food, Protein and Multivitamins in me. I know my body and if I started Cardio and weight training, I would probably pass out. I am going to wait at least till 5th week. I am walking and doing what I can to make sure I am back in shape. Best Luck and Please keep us updated!

I am 4 weeks post-op and this is my second week working out. I don't lift waits but I work out to what feels comfortable for me. I have to admit I was sore the first week but feel fine now. I would say it is probably best to listen to your doctor,but if you just can't wait why not power walk. You'll get the work out with out hurting yourself.

Good luck

Thanks for all your wonderful input! based on your recommendations, I think I am going to load up my iPod with the Footloose soundtrack, head back to the gym tonight, take a nice stroll on the treadmill or maybe really slow on the elliptical. Then reward myself with a nice swim and soak in the hot tub!biggrin.gif

Thank you all again so much. This forum has been an invaluable partner in this journey. I feel like I have an extended family who knows exactly WTF is up with this craziness!

PS...I have been able to eat a little more, so I am much less of an a*****e now tongue.gif

Nice! I am gonna head back next week. Let us know how it went!

Nice! I am gonna head back next week. Let us know how it went!

It was AMAZING!! I am so happy I went! biggrin.gif