Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tomorrow makes it a week since I had the surgery. The third and fourth days were the worst, I think. The most pain I had was from the gas in my left shoulder...it REAAALLY hurt! I haven't even had any pain medication today, and am pretty excited about that.

I have not been taking in as much Protein as I should just because I get so full so easily. Tonight I ate maybe an ounce and a half of broth from chicken noodle Soup and 3 hours later, I still feel full. Yesterday I had a little too much of a Protein Drink and light yogurt and felt very full...almost miserable. It's tough because you can't get comfortable when this happens. I would sit down, stand up, walk around, do everything I could, but the full feeling didn't pass for a long time.

What a strange sensation, so be full off so little "food" (I will be so glad when I can eat softer foods...even mashed cauliflower sounds like heaven right now!)! I see people who are comfortable with their bands and the types of things they can eat and tell myself not to worry about being "deprived" later on. I know I won't be able to have pizza or anything "fun" like that anymore (which honestly makes me kind of sad, it's like saying goodbye to an old friend, even if the friend was toxic and helped make me fat), but only a week in, I am anxious to eat more filling foods. But how on earth should I expect to eat more solid foods when a teensy bit of broth fills me up?

Here is another experience I've had...I am VERY emotional post-surgery and cry at the smallest things. I already have anxiety issues and am on medication for that but even with the medication, I still find myself crying at random times for no real good reason. I think I am just worried about adjusting to "normal" life again...but perhaps the adjustment is the kick in the butt I need to feel "myself" again.

Sorry to babble about random things, I've just been lurking for a few days now and figured it was time I registered and got my thoughts out!

Welcome and congrats on your surgery. Sounds to me like you're right on track. If an ounce and a half fills you up for 3 hours, that's great. Just make sure that you eat very slowly so you don't get that uncomfortable feeling. It's all a learning process and you'll get there. You will get used to being full on so little and you'll learn to love it. As you start to see the weigh fall off and are able to spend all that money you're not spending on food on cute clothes you'll love it even more. That should help with your bouts of depression and anxiety too!

I am almost 4 weeks out and it just keeps getting better and better and better.This is the hapiest I have been in a long time just knowing that if I follow the ''rules'' and do as I should I actually have a chance to be thin and regain my heath! That to me means no more CPAP machinewhich =better sleep (God willing)and relief for my Osteoarthritis pain in my knee which = better motion/mobility.(God willing).

Another benefit is I am no longer ravenously hungry to the point of feeling like a "bottomless pit"when I eat.I had a bad problem with emotional overeating that after I conquered that habit,I knew a band would further help me in that habit not returning because it will be ther to remind me that I may have pain if I overeat again ,for whatever reason.I handle my emotions differenty and I get out /express what is bugging me instead of destroying myself with food,cigarettes,or alcohol.;

Newbie,if you do the best you possibly can to follow the band "rules" you will be very successful and over time you will not think of food the same way ever again.This may seem frightening for you now but over time you will look back and feel as if this was the best thing you ever did for your health and self esteem.I have lost 30 lbs already and that is from July 19th -September 26th,and I am feeling better every day.

Yes,it is a complete lifestyle makeover but what you will gain in health,self-worth,and how others will treat you better is priceless.Good luck to you on your journey!

Thank you so much for posting about the "emotional" part. I am one week out of surgery as well and am having the EXACT same experience. I have to FORCE myself to eat. I am down 7 lbs since last Tuesday. I feel slow, lethargic and like an emotional basket case. I am usually such a happy person. This week I have sobbed uncontrollably daily and can't figure out why. I returned to work yesterday and had to leave early. I never do that. I went home, crawled into bed, cried myself to sleep and woke up 15 hours later.

I am determined to be focused and positive today. I started the day with a Protein shake and a cup of herbal tea. I WILL put a smile on my face and focus on having a great day.

Thank you again for sharing this! It makes me feel better that I am not the only malnutrition, emotional wreck out here tongue.gif

Well let me tell you I'm a year post op and these things happen to me. They ate normal. For females the hormone let down and effects from surgery. It even messed with my menstrual cycle. Doc says that's common. I was a sensitive, crying, blubbering mess! It truly gets better I promise. Also your body has been through a shock from solids to liquids etc.

Let me just say u don't have to give up what u love forever his will be in moderation and as tolerated. Ex: I can eat pizza but only a slice and I have to eat it real slow or else I get stuck. I have treats now when I want them. The only thing I don't mess with is corn, popcorn, corn chips they heart me really bad when I tried to be naughty and eat it. What u can tolerate in your diet is very individualized. I eat bread once in. While cause I don't crave it.

Last thing keep a watch on tiredness. It was foun out that I was Iron, B12 and Vitamin D deficient and had to go on supplements. Talk to your primary doc. Those tests are normally not sort if preop work up. Once on supplants energy shot up. But don't worry about sleeping either. We have to remember although surgery was quick it's still surgery and your entire body inside and out has to adjust to the effects and get back on rhythm.

Thank you all for your input! I love knowing that I'm not alone when it comes to the weird stuff.

I'm now 2 weeks post-surgery and it gets easier and easier to get back into my routine. Once I was allowed soft solid foods again, my body seemed to chill out some. The emotional part has subsided, thank GOD!

The only thing that concerns me lately is that I lost 21 lbs in 10 days and have since gained about 7 lbs back (once I started eating solid foods again). I don't understand how this can happen since my calorie intake is sufficiently less than it was prior to surgery, but I'm thinking maybe my body is still in shock from being starved for 10 days and then being fed again, but with significantly less portions than it's used to. I'm not too worried about losing weight...I know it will happen...but isn't that the whole point of the surgery? Ahh! ;)

The gaining once starting solid foods seem to be quite common for many. Don't worry about it now even though you want to do so. This is the healing period. Soon the time will come for consistant weight loss. Good luck to you.