Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Over 1 year havent lost what i thought i was going to..considering getting gastric bypass

Hi everyone,

I got my band on March 23 2010. At that point i was 254. The first few months were great i was losing weight easily and i loved it. The lowest i got to was 215. Then after the 6th month mark i didn't lose any at all. I was getting fills but i just didn't seem to work. Then I started to gain weight again...i was not happy. And now over a year into Ive still only lost 40 lbs total. I am eating the right foods, exercising once to 2 times a week, and still nothing.

Recently i have been thinking about getting the gastric bypass. I am getting fed up with doing all i can and not losing weight, things getting stuck all the time when i know im eating slow and chewing as much as i can. I have a appointment with my doctor to discuss this.

What does everyone think? Has anyone decided to switch and get the gastric after getting the band?

Thanks,

Ally

Would it be possible to maybe add another day or two of exercise? It's so frustrating to hit a plateau and not be able to get past that. If the protein/calorie intake is where it should be, it might be time to up the physical activity. Even if it means parking your car farther away or taking the stairs instead of the elevator it might help you through the plateau. I am not even a week pre-op so I can't say I've been in your shoes, but I wouldn't even think about a bypass until I have exhausted every single thing I could do to make the band work for me.

Upping the ante on your exercise sounds like a good option to see if you can break your plateau. And, if you are not already, try tracking your calories and exercise with something like myfitnesspal.com so you can be 100% certain that you are on track. I was surprised to see how low my calories actually were until I started tracking. From personal experience and what I have read, it seems that mixing up your routine with both eating and exercise is what it takes to break out of a plateau. good luck.

Hi everyone,

I got my band on March 23 2010. At that point i was 254. The first few months were great i was losing weight easily and i loved it. The lowest i got to was 215. Then after the 6th month mark i didn't lose any at all. I was getting fills but i just didn't seem to work. Then I started to gain weight again...i was not happy. And now over a year into Ive still only lost 40 lbs total. I am eating the right foods, exercising once to 2 times a week, and still nothing.

Recently i have been thinking about getting the gastric bypass. I am getting fed up with doing all i can and not losing weight, things getting stuck all the time when i know im eating slow and chewing as much as i can. I have a appointment with my doctor to discuss this.

What does everyone think? Has anyone decided to switch and get the gastric after getting the band?

Thanks,

Ally

I had a the original gastric bypass in 1978.

I am pre surgery for the band.

maybe things have improved in 30 years.

I lost 125, and maintained until 2004 when I had a crisis in my life.

Wishing you the best, whatever you decide.

I think a lot of people expect there to a frightening amount of weight lose the first year but 40 pounds sounds about on track with a band. Could you have seem more results with more exercise...absolutely but you've still lost 40 pounds in one year. I would recommend reassessing your exercise and see a nutritionist.

Also you will be hard pressed to get your insurance to pay for a second surgery unless you can prove a technical malfunction with the band.

Good luck

The weight can be very stubborn. I plateaued from like Feb til May this year - my dr wasn't concerned, but I was. Have to tried taking in extra Protein & Water?

Good luck

Well,,, this is a switch,,,,, How is your fill level ? are you hungry every couple of hours ? Or are you good for say 5-6 hrs....

i went through a lot also, they ended up filling my band to the fill line under Fluoroscope (this is painless) .

If you are going to speak to your surgeon, ask him to fill you to your Fill Line, before you make any decesions

You might actually be Happy with the results. You will be able to watch the whole thing on screen.

Add in some walking maybe 3x a week, and you have a good start.

I'm speaking from experience. I only had a slight tweaking since I lost some weight.

But being filled this way put me on the right track, and it is available to you.....

Tell your surgeon to do it, youre tired of waiting for weight loss to begin, and you believe this would help.

What have you got to lose but weight.

This is one fill straight to the Fill Line.

Also check out myfitnesspal.com for journal, and tons of info...It's FREE ! Again, you might be impressed.

Don't make a mistake that is not reversible.

Then comes the problem with Melabsoruption. (I know I spelled that wrong..)

Every one that I new that had it done,,, It did not work for them. Don't make a mistake, Think first.

Shirley.

All my fills have been done under fluoroscope its really cool to watch and it gives you alot of perspective of how it works plus it's the only way to check that you have proper restriction

I guess if I wad in ur position I'd consider the sleeve. Bypass scaees me, I am not a big fan of the whole malabsorption idea. But that is a tough call.