Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I feel normal??

I got banded on Aug. 18... also they fixed a hernia that they found. I am in some pain.. no vomiting at all yet. I barely eat anything... only a few spoonfuls of broth here and there and some sugar free popsicles. I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday where I have loads of questions for my doctor.. but I was just wondering.. how long did it take most of you to start eating normal things... feel normal.. sleep normal? It's only been 4 days and I can't imagine feeling like this for much longer :( I don't think I was completely ready for all of this pain and discomfort.

I'd like to read some replies to this post because I was banded on the 15th and I still do not feel "normal". Shoulder pain is sometimes so painful it's breath-taking. Still no signs of being hungry, I just eat my Protein and Soup as directed by my post-op diet, although I don't think I'm eating the full amounts. Nor am I drinking the full amount of Water I should be. sleep is so all over the place. One night ok, then one night up from 2am - 6am, wide awake, then another night so tired just not able to sleep due to shoulder pain.

I'd like to read some replies to this post because I was banded on the 15th and I still do not feel "normal". Shoulder pain is sometimes so painful it's breath-taking. Still no signs of being hungry, I just eat my Protein and Soup as directed by my post-op diet, although I don't think I'm eating the full amounts. Nor am I drinking the full amount of Water I should be. sleep is so all over the place. One night ok, then one night up from 2am - 6am, wide awake, then another night so tired just not able to sleep due to shoulder pain.

I also have really bad shoulder pain.. I read up on it and I think that it's gas pains from when they pumped up the stomach during surgery. Gas-x has helped the shoulder pain.. you should try it.

I'm not sure what to tell you, except I hope you guys feel better soon. My first day, I wanted to crawl in a hole, my second day was much better, third was even better and I went out shopping on day 4 (or 3, but I think it was 4), the only problem I had that day was a little nausea when I was out. I only felt the shoulder pain when I was sitting down. Still sore for the next number of days getting in and out of bed and such. But I had a pretty quick recovery. Only took the pain meds the first 2 days, and once day 3 and that was just because I got my period and I get bad cramps and I didn't need that with the pain...lol

But I hope you guys feel better soon.

I started feeling "Good" on day 5. Now, at day 10 I feel almost totally normal except for port pain. Both of you are only a few days out, give it some time, you JUST had surgery.

I just got banded on the 17th. I thought I was doomed until today... I couldn't even keep liquids down... This morning I made a point of walking around as much as possible, and found it *REALLY* helped my gas pain! I also took my gas-x strips WITH warm tea, and that made it WAY more effective. I was able to drink my whole Protein Shake without any PB-ing :) I'm not back to 'normal' but... yesterday I was in the same place as you, then suddenly today I'm way better. Don't give up hope! You'll have little break-throughs and it'll boost your hope :)

I was banded on the 6th and this weekend has been the first weekend where I've actually forgotten I even had surgery (2 weeks total). I started feeling better about 8-10 days out but I feel completely normal now at 2 weeks. The first week was really rough for me I could only handle Water and about 2 oz of broth a day but slowly things started turning around.

My story is exactly like chelsea's. I was banded on the 2nd and I feel pretty much normal other than port pain and still a little swelling. My gas pain is gone. That was awful and it took a solid week for that to go away.. Once that was gone I could handle more fluids.

You're almost out of the worst part! Hang in there girls!

By 10~14 days I felt pretty good. I was banded in April. I know I felt a ton better when I was able to progress my diet & was taking in some solid, well mushi, calories. I was only mushies by day 7.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm 8 days post-op and back to work as of today. Maybe I'll try the gas-x strips, I've been using the crewables, but I'm not really sure if they've been helping. Today on my 15 min walk I was in a lot of pain. Both shoulder pain and in the last 2 days I've been getting like a sharp spasm pain in my lower left abdominal area. I was going to wait till the 10 day mark before calling my clinic. I hope I make the whole day at work today. I'm an admin assistant so I do a lot of sitting, but already I feel tired and cranky :(

I agree that it takes about 5 days for the gas to leave. I was banded on Aug 15 and I don't have any gas now. It's still a bit hard to bend over all the way, but getting better each day.

Hi! I was banded on 8/17. Today was the first day I woke up and didn't think about the pain, which I think is a step in the right direction. I have done a lot of walking and sipping on Water. I did notice that I did have heartburn when I went to bed last night. I have to still sleep on my back with pillows under my knees.

I hope you feel better soon! This has to be worth it! :)

weight.png

I'm glad this post was written. I'm on day 4 post op and I have been wondering the same thing. Today is a lot better than the previous days. I did have severe shoulder pain yesterday but that has since resolved. I continue to take small walks. My appetite is picking up but is still not wear it should be. So my goal for today is to at least get in all my needed Proteins.< /p>

Update: called my clinic...they told me all is normal. To continue to take gas-x and even some tums, heating pad on my shoulder and keep on walking. I worked through my lunch today so I can go home a bit early and tomorrow I'll remember the heating pad. I feel a little better now that it's later in the day. Maybe my body just didn't like getting up so early today :)

The first few days are rough with the gas pain and all. It will go away with time. Walking and gas x will expedite everything.