Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Silly Fill Question

Is there an average number that people seem to end at for fills? I had my first fill and feel no different. I know everyone is different but I was wondering if there was some "magical range" for people. My Dr. does 1cc then 1/4 to 1/2cc from there until the number. I am thinking it could take forever for me to get to the "magic number" for me.

It all depends on the size of your band and your personal needs. Some people need more and some need less. I am up to 7ccs in a VG band and feel some restriction, while others have less and some have more. Just depends on you. Be patient and best of luck!

No magic numbers, just personal differences. Usually, for the smaller bands, a surgeon will start with a larger number (1cc, 1.2 cc etc.). Then after, the cc amount is usually smaller than the first.

See my fills below. Shawn

My first fill was 1 cc in a 4 cc band and I had no restriction. The dr then brought me up to 1.5. At the office I was able to swallow Water fine but by the next day I couldn't keep anything inside and had to have some removed.

Don't rush the dr in overfilling you. Also, some people don't get restriction at the time of the fill but it kicks in a week or so later. For me, I am very sensitive to heat and had to have an untill last month to go on vacation - and I still struggled.

Hang in there. This is a process and takes time. Good luck. Celeste

I had some restriction but not a lot until my 5th fill. With the VG band I thought I would get up to 9cc's before filling any restriction but I was wrong. I had 7cc's and had little to no restriction but at 7.5cc's I was so tight that I was up all night, I couldn't even swallow my salva. They but me back down to 7cc's and made me come back in 2 weeks and gave me a 0.2 bringing me up to 7.2cc's and I had a rough time with that for a minute but I realized it was that time of the month and I hung in there. It took a while and I still have restriction with it but it has given some now. I may go back in a couple of weeks for .02 again and that may carry me through the summer.

Each person is different. My friend who had the same surgery is up to 8.5 and has little to no restriction.

I had some restriction but not a lot until my 5th fill. With the VG band I thought I would get up to 9cc's before filling any restriction but I was wrong. I had 7cc's and had little to no restriction but at 7.5cc's I was so tight that I was up all night, I couldn't even swallow my salva.:cry They but me back down to 7cc's and made me come back in 2 weeks and gave me a 0.2 which bought me up to 7.2cc's, and I had a rough time with that for a minute but I realized it was that time of the month and I hung in there. It took a while and I still have restriction with it but it has given some now. I may go back in a couple of weeks for .02 again and that may carry me through til summer.

Each person is different. My friend who had the same surgery is up to 8.5 and has little to no restriction.

Natural Beauty---I would love to talk to your friend that is at 8 something with no restriction. I was just filled to 8.8 last thursday and I am not feeling a thing!! Very frustrated!! I have been filled FOUR times since January 4th and I'm still not there. I am only 20 lbs from goal so I sure wish I could hit it!! Thanks---Misti

Its the same for me. I had one first fill of 1cc. I felt a slight effect from that. Then I had .3 cc, I'm slightly more restricted again - well to be honest I dont feel "restriction" I feel lack of appetite. I'm nowhere near the point where I'm tight, cant eat certain foods etc. But I'm losing weight due to the lack of appetite. Smaller amounts of food satisfy me, I'm never ravenously hungry anymore. So I'm not overly worried about the time it takes me to get to the sweet spot.

I have a 4 cc band and have had four fills 1/2 cc then another 1/2 and then 1 cc and the last fill was 1 cc. This was over a period of 8 months after my band was put on. I wish I could have had restriction from the beginning but I understand that its not the same for everyone and the Dr's can't just load it up. Its better to get small fills till you get to your "SWEET SPOT". Once your there its great. I have good restriction. Its bad food choices that have given me pause with my losing weight. But I'm bad being a good boy and hopefully I'll get rid of the few pounds I picked up soon and then go from there.

Natural Beauty---I would love to talk to your friend that is at 8 something with no restriction. I was just filled to 8.8 last thursday and I am not feeling a thing!! Very frustrated!! I have been filled FOUR times since January 4th and I'm still not there. I am only 20 lbs from goal so I sure wish I could hit it!! Thanks---Misti

Hi Misti, I spoke with my girlfriend and she doesn't come on this board but she has lost weight even with more than 8cc's. Not as quick as she thought but most of it's been her fault, she doesn't follow the bandster rules for eating cause she can eat anything. She's lost about 50lbs and has at least 50 more to go. She says she has decreased portion sizes because she can't eat as much as she use to but other than that she has no problems getting anything down. Her doctor wants her to have an upper GI and some other test done so I'll let you know what the results are.

I went in Monday and had .2ccs put in and this time I didn't feel it until today. I notice I've been having a hard time getting liquids down so I guess it's taken a couple of days to kick in. I have been averaging 6/8 lbs a month and then a complete hault until I get another fill. I'm at 7.9 now and I still have about 35-40lbs to go so hopefully I'll be able to make it. Hopefully, Misti, you're doing better.

Natural Beauty