Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Today I Joined a Gym!!

Hey, I had my first day with my trainer and it went great! (Well if you consider sore, tired, drenched in sweat and hardly able to move great...but I'm proud of what I did!) My trainer was VERY positive and motivational and also supportive of the band. She even called my Dr to make sure she understood any restrictions and what type of training he would like me to do.

I called the trainer to speak with her before even setting up the first session...I told her immediately about the band (I think they should know AND show support). I asked if she ever had a banded client and she was very honest and told me she's never worked with anyone who has had WLS and that's partially why she called my Dr. She told me she got into training because it's rewarding and she promised she would never judge anyone or their reasons to lose weight. (I think I found a winner!)

Anyways, try talking to their trainers there and see if they have a few and "interview" each of them or if you really like the first one and they show support with the band, take them. I realize we're all out of shape, but weights AND cardio will give you the most benefit. The trainer will work out a plan specifically for you. (The plan mine made for me is that I'll do 25 minutes of cardio and another 20 minutes of strength training 3-5 days a week). She even said if I only make it 3 days a week, I should be proud of that and just make sure I put in 110% each time. (I'm 5'7, 225 as of today)

Yoga has never done much for me for weight loss, BUT that doesn't mean it doesn't have benefits! It will help you with stretching and even some strength (especially in your core).

Thanks for the advise! I was thinking that I should do strength training to build muscle to help with my metabalism (burn fat). I do get 1 free 45 minute fitness evaluation and the owner said people are on the floor to show my how to use the equipment.

I am considering the 6 session packet with a trainer (I think it's once a month-not sure). It's pricey at $300. But I do think a trainer shows you exactly what you need.

I am not sure whether to tell him about the band-I have read stories where trainers aren't on board with the band.

Do you think weights would be better than cardio equipment? Right now I am at 221 at 5'6. I think I am probably very out of shape.

They do offer classes too. I like the idea of doing Yoga but I amnot sure if it has any benefits.

Thanks again for your input!

Well today was my first day at the gym! I actually got my oldest daughter to join too (so me and my 2 daughters). The owner suggested I do 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 5-10 on the rowing machine. Then I did 5 minutes on the bike (I know-but it was boring!). Then I wentto some sking-type machine. That was fun for a few minutes and then my last machine was some arm/leg cross country type thing! I am exhausted!!!

I hope I can keep up with this. I am off all of August so I really plan to make good use of the gym during that time.

They do have Water areobics and I might do a class. They also have Zumba.

My goal for now is 3 times per week but hopefully I'll do more!

Thanks again!

Great job! The bike gets boring for me also and doesn't feel like enough of a workout. The skiing type machine you're referring to is probably the elliptical - my favorite one! It's low impact and you can work your whole body.

I'm in pain today! I'm so sore after that session yesterday but can't wait to go again.

Your goal of 3 days a week is great and if you do more, that's absolutely wonderful! Keep us up to date :)

Well today was my first day at the gym! I actually got my oldest daughter to join too (so me and my 2 daughters). The owner suggested I do 30 minutes on the treadmill, and 5-10 on the rowing machine. Then I did 5 minutes on the bike (I know-but it was boring!). Then I wentto some sking-type machine. That was fun for a few minutes and then my last machine was some arm/leg cross country type thing! I am exhausted!!!

I hope I can keep up with this. I am off all of August so I really plan to make good use of the gym during that time.

They do have Water areobics and I might do a class. They also have Zumba.

My goal for now is 3 times per week but hopefully I'll do more!

Thanks again!

I highly recommend swimming, great low impact exercise. Waterproof mp3 player is a must! Also Water Aerobics can be done at different intensities.

I highly recommend swimming, great low impact exercise. Waterproof mp3 player is a must! Also Water Aerobics can be done at different intensities.

I never heard of a waterproof mp3 palyer! Thanks!

I was banded May 3rd, 2011 have lost 62lbs from my highest weight and 55 since May. I NEVER thought I could make the gym work for me but I started about 3 weeks after surgery and have built a nice routine and I SEE the results which is just amazing to me!! I do about 20 min on the ellipitical then go to the machines especially the core / abdominal ones and the butt blaster has really helped my very large hind end! When I am finished with the machines I go back for 20 more minutes of cardio. The weight has been coming off but my body is changing in ways that I know it would not have done with weight loss only. If I wanted to try something new I would go to the gym when it was less crowded and ask for help from staff. The most important thing is to set a gym schedule and if it is a day you go be sure to get there one way or another and not talk yourself out of it. I go two very early morning a week and 2 to 3 afternoons a week and take WED and SUN off. Good luck!!

I think yoga is the best thing someone could do to maintain there body

Looking to join a gym in three weeks when the doctor said I could do more than walk. However, realizing that it is hard to go from being a couch potato to even walking I am taking advantage as of today of my apt complex fitness center, such as it is. I walked down the hill to it today (my complex is built on the side of a mountain) and could only force myself to do 10 minutes on the treadmill, but, hey, that is a start, right? Then I had to trudge back up the hill to my apt. My rear was sure dragging when I got home but it was worth it. Hopefully by the time I join the gym I can do 30 minutes on a treadmill like your trainer suggested you to start with. Lol. And I can drive there and the hill to my apt won't look like an Alp from the bottom.