Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

restriction question in 10cc lap band

My doc says that *most* patients with a 10cc band are in the green zone between 5-7ccs. I wouldn't worry about the number, but what you body tells you. There's always someone that needs less and there will always be someone that needs more than the average. :)

I had a 10cc band put in 2 years ago. I had to have a tubing revision done this summer though so I am now going through the "fill process" again. I am currently filled to 6.5cc but still don't have any restriction. Is this normal? As anyone else not felt restriction at 6.5ccs? My doctor made it sound like it would be really tight and maybe even too tight.

I am a little scared that the revision didn't work or something and that my fills aren't working at all. However, if others haven't felt restriction at 6.5ccs then I won't get TOO scared. I was perfectly filled until April but I don't know how full my band was then and I really don't think my doctor does either or else why not just fill me up to the same place as before that seemed to place me in the green zone?

Those of you with 10cc bands when do you usually get great restriction? I want mine pretty tight.

Update: A few weeks ago I was filled to 7.5cc's and it was kind of tight and probably would have worked. However, at times I could still eat quite a bit so I went in for another fill. I am now at 7.9cc's, which is where I was before my tube got a leak. It is pretty tight but I like it like this. If I was to be picky, I could go back to have an adjustment to like 7.7 or 7.8 .....but I won't.

7cc is where I finally felt restriction. Have enjoyed being at that level. Lost weight and now think I might need a little more fill next time. My band sure helps me. Just can't really overeat and its not anything I have to think about. It just happens. Love my band. Restriction is great when you reach it.

7cc is where I finally felt restriction. Have enjoyed being at that level. Lost weight and now think I might need a little more fill next time. My band sure helps me. Just can't really overeat and its not anything I have to think about. It just happens. Love my band. Restriction is great when you reach it.

My one and only fill is 4cc. I am counting Protein and calories the old fashioned way, and am losing weight. I don't feel restriction, but the band must be helping in some way-- maybe being even slightly banded does something hormone-wise? Losing weight has never been so relatively easy. But I sure would like to have the comfortable feeling you are experiencing! All of you who have reach the green zone are an inspiration to me for the long run. Thanks!

My doc says that *most* patients with a 10cc band are in the green zone between 5-7ccs. I wouldn't worry about the number, but what you body tells you. There's always someone that needs less and there will always be someone that needs more than the average. :)

Funny, I was told the same thing on Fri. I hope he is right because I am at 5,5,. He also said that when the band has been in place over a year it doesn't loosen. Early weight lost is what causes that and once the fat under the band is gone it stays put until filled more.

I have great restriction at 5.6 cc in a 10 cc band. I was lucky, I had some restriction with an empty band. But it took me almost a year to get to the point where I was full on less than 1 cup of food.

Good Luck to you!

Funny, I was told the same thing on Fri. I hope he is right because I am at 5,5,. He also said that when the band has been in place over a year it doesn't loosen. Early weight lost is what causes that and once the fat under the band is gone it stays put until filled more.

Wow! I've never heard that before about the band not loosening after being on more than a year. I must admit, I was getting worried about getting too many fills to soon, cause what do you do when you are filled to the max and don't feel full?! That takes care of that worry! Thanks!

And by the way, you are almost at goal! Super congrats!!

I was banded 5 years ago and I took a break from fills for nearly 2 years because I got pregnant (wonderful surprise). I breastfed and after my baby was weaned at about 7 months of age I went back to my doc to get the band up and working again. My child is now 13 months old and I can't count the number of visits to the doc's office, each time a fill, each time no difference. I had a barium swallow done to see if the band slipped, nope all is fine. I just had another fill a week ago, of course no difference. I don't expect it to work as well as it did the first year, got a fill, felt restriction for months, lost weight...life was good. I am down 75 pounds from the day of my surgery, still need to loose another 100 to be at ideal weight, have no clue what is wrong with this thing. I keep asking the doc's office and they keep telling me to see the nutritionist and keep asking what I am eating. Well I am eating about 1000 calories a day and it's all Protein and salad. I kept a journal and showed the nutritionist and she actually commented that I should add Snacks. I am not sliding anything down because I hate being at this weight and want it off but of course I don't loose at all am just maintaining.

Arg frustrating and discouraging.

How full is your band? Can they make it tighter still?

I was banded 5 years ago and I took a break from fills for nearly 2 years because I got pregnant (wonderful surprise). I breastfed and after my baby was weaned at about 7 months of age I went back to my doc to get the band up and working again. My child is now 13 months old and I can't count the number of visits to the doc's office, each time a fill, each time no difference. I had a barium swallow done to see if the band slipped, nope all is fine. I just had another fill a week ago, of course no difference. I don't expect it to work as well as it did the first year, got a fill, felt restriction for months, lost weight...life was good. I am down 75 pounds from the day of my surgery, still need to loose another 100 to be at ideal weight, have no clue what is wrong with this thing. I keep asking the doc's office and they keep telling me to see the nutritionist and keep asking what I am eating. Well I am eating about 1000 calories a day and it's all Protein and salad. I kept a journal and showed the nutritionist and she actually commented that I should add Snacks. I am not sliding anything down because I hate being at this weight and want it off but of course I don't loose at all am just maintaining.

Arg frustrating and discouraging.

What is panniculectomy, Panniculus is a medical term describing a dense layer of fatty tissue growth, consisting of subcutaneous fat in the lower abdominal area. It can be a result of obesity and can be mistaken for a tumor or hernia. Abdominal panniculus can be removed during abdominal panniculectomy, a type of abdominoplasty

I did not knwo what that was either so I looked it up. I love this site, there is so much information here!!!!!:)

I am not sure how full it is, I have a 10 cc band and I believe I am somewhere around 8 cc full. They don't tell me when I go in for the fills, they just keep harping about diet and exercise and if I am having trouble speak to the nutritionist. It's really frustrating because they don't listen.

How full is your band? Can they make it tighter still?

I had the EXACT same experience. I don't know why they try to keep the amount in our band such a secret. I was very frustrated too but now I make sure they tell me how much is in my band so that I can use those numbers for reference later on. Like I said, I am now at 7.9 cc but can still eat. Before my period of free fills is up, I am sure that I will go in for one more fill....maybe to like 8.1.

I am not sure how full it is, I have a 10 cc band and I believe I am somewhere around 8 cc full. They don't tell me when I go in for the fills, they just keep harping about diet and exercise and if I am having trouble speak to the nutritionist. It's really frustrating because they don't listen.

I also have a 10cc, I got my surgery November 9, 2010 and I'm filled to 8cc. I HAVE NO restriction, hate it. I'm going back to doctor to see if I have a leak, or to fill this band up. I didn't pay 12,000.00 dollars to not have this work!!! :angry:

I'm hearing more and more about leaks. Is it pretty common? What happended at your Dr. appt? How are you feeling?

I had my first fill in a 10cc band. I've got 1.5 cc in it. I'll be going back September 13th for another adjustment. So around 5 cc is when you start feeling real restrictions?

At first, I would say yes. But after a few years I think that you don't feel it until around 6ccs.

I had my first fill in a 10cc band. I've got 1.5 cc in it. I'll be going back September 13th for another adjustment. So around 5 cc is when you start feeling real restrictions?