Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Baked (NOT fried!) mozzarella sticks

Hey everyone!!!

My kids ate some frozen fried mozzarella cheese sticks the other day and it got me to thinking.....

are these ok if I make them homemade and bake them instead of frying them? I have a recipe that I've been wanting to try.

I go to solids in the next 2 weeks, so it's not something I want to make right now, just something to keep in mind. I could probably add unflavored Protein powder to the marinara sauce to make these a little more band-friendly, right?

I'm still working on understanding go foods vs no foods (including eat once in a while foods) so accepting advice.

Thanks!

kristi

I love mozzarella sticks but every time I eat them I get stuck! That's not to say that you will. We're all different. You have to experiment and see what you can and cannot eat.

Well... the breading is going to be the "problem" area, but in small amounts I don't think it'd be a problem. I agree with Cindy that they might be hard to get down, though!

I've always baked my mozz sticks. They are good.

How do you bake them?

I have a recipe where I mix 1 egg with Water, dip the cheese in flour, then egg mixture, then roll in bread crumbs.....freeze until firm, then bake @ 400 for about 10 minutes. I may try to make these with whole wheat bread crumbs and whole wheat flour to see what it does to the taste as well as the nutritional stats.

This recipe can be doubled to make a big batch to have on hand.

per 2 stick serving:

281 calories

16 g fat

17 g Protein

17 g carb

1 g Fiber

98 mg cholesterol

776 mg sodium

How do you bake them?

Thanks. Sounds tasty.

You can also make your breading out of the original Fiber 1 cereal... Just crush it in a food processor. It's waaaay healthier that way. Good luck! Sounds yummy.

I'm with BaileyRose. I saw the recipe that uses the mozz sticks, egg sub and crushed up Fiber 1 to make cheesesticks. As soon as I'm off mushies, its the first recipe I'm trying. This recipe is from Hungry Girl (hungry-girl.com). She has some interesting books out (200 foods under 200 calories,etc). I ordered them from my library to see if they're any good...but here's a recipe for you. Not sure how band-friendly her recipes are. More info on my blog. :)

Mozzarella Fix

Before creating these cheesy faux fried hunks of heaven, we had totally given up on the whole mozzarella sticks thing. Total bar food... completely greasy and horrible for you. Not anymore, thanks to (you guessed it!) a box of Fiber One and our trusty blender. Check out this super swap and prepare to be wowed (and filled with cheese!)...

Ingredients:

2 light mozzarella sticks (50-60 calories and 2.5g fat per stick)

1/4 cup Fiber One bran Cereal (original)

2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute

salt, pepper & Italian seasonings; to taste

Optional: low-fat marinara sauce (for dipping)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor or blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place crumbs in a small plastic container with a lid. Season crumbs with as much salt, pepper and Italian seasonings as you like. Set aside. Cut cheese sticks in half, so that you have 4 sticks. Place sticks in a small bowl, and pour egg substitute over the top of the sticks. Swirl egg substitute around so that it thoroughly coats the sticks. One by one, transfer sticks to the container with the crumbs. Cover container, and give it a shake to coat the sticks in the crumbs. Carefully return sticks to the dish with egg substitute, and coat them again. Next put sticks back in the crumbs container, cover, and shake once more to coat (try doing this two at a time the second time around). Place sticks on a baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Spritz the tops of the sticks with a quick mist of the spray. Place dish in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes (or until the first sign of cheese oozing out). If desired, serve with warm marinara sauce. Best when eaten immediately, while cheese is hot and gooey!

Serving Size: 4 pieces

Calories: 155

Fat: 5.5g

Sodium: 500mg

Carbs: 13.5g

Fiber: 7g

Sugars: 0g

Protein: 19g

Her 200 under 200 book is great. Again, I don't know how band friendly it is though... I guess we'll see! I have it and thought it would be a great idea after I'm banded because the portion sizes are fairly small and it's low in calorie. Enjoy!

I'm with BaileyRose. I saw the recipe that uses the mozz sticks, egg sub and crushed up Fiber 1 to make cheesesticks. As soon as I'm off mushies, its the first recipe I'm trying. This recipe is from Hungry Girl (hungry-girl.com). She has some interesting books out (200 foods under 200 calories,etc). I ordered them from my library to see if they're any good...but here's a recipe for you. Not sure how band-friendly her recipes are. More info on my blog. :)

Mozzarella Fix

Before creating these cheesy faux fried hunks of heaven, we had totally given up on the whole mozzarella sticks thing. Total bar food... completely greasy and horrible for you. Not anymore, thanks to (you guessed it!) a box of Fiber One and our trusty blender. Check out this super swap and prepare to be wowed (and filled with cheese!)...

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor or blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place crumbs in a small plastic container with a lid. Season crumbs with as much salt, pepper and Italian seasonings as you like. Set aside. Cut cheese sticks in half, so that you have 4 sticks. Place sticks in a small bowl, and pour egg substitute over the top of the sticks. Swirl egg substitute around so that it thoroughly coats the sticks. One by one, transfer sticks to the container with the crumbs. Cover container, and give it a shake to coat the sticks in the crumbs. Carefully return sticks to the dish with egg substitute, and coat them again. Next put sticks back in the crumbs container, cover, and shake once more to coat (try doing this two at a time the second time around). Place sticks on a baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray. Spritz the tops of the sticks with a quick mist of the spray. Place dish in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes (or until the first sign of cheese oozing out). If desired, serve with warm marinara sauce. Best when eaten immediately, while cheese is hot and gooey!

Her 200 under 200 book is great. Again, I don't know how band friendly it is though... I guess we'll see! I have it and thought it would be a great idea after I'm banded because the portion sizes are fairly small and it's low in calorie. Enjoy!

Mozzarella Fix

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Fiber One bran Cereal (original)

Directions:

I tried this recipe last night with low fat mozz string cheese and was disappointed. Maybe I didn't use enough egg sub or too much breading, but it was pretty dry. I ended up picking off the breading and just eating the cheese. LOL. By the way, the Fiber One cereal totally looks like cat food. hehehe.