Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lost In The Journey

I got my band on 3/9/09, things went well and I finally felt that I was in control. I'm not sure how much is in my band, but I had a few cc's in with the surgery. I have had 3 fills, there was an unfill last July because it just tightened from my stupidity. I got stuck real bad and didn't know I should have gone to liquids or soft foods for a few days. I just continued with solids and more and more frequently to get stuck. This caused irritation and swelling, thus I was tight. Then I was stupid again and didn't get a fill until Oct. For this I gained about 9 lbs and I have been fighting ever since. Currently I am at 181 and very angry with me. I am not hungry! So by the guidelines I don't need a fill. Today all I have had is a cup of coffee and some Water. When I get up, I feel that I am not going to be able to eat. Most days I try to get in a Protein Drink and the meal I do eat always has the Protein first. I wait and wait, but nothing to eat interests me. I used to look forward to my grilled chicken and wild rice, now it just doesn't matter. What is really strange is that I have always been able to eat bread, if it's sliced and toasted I'm good. dinner rolls not a problem, even a sub rolls go down. Yet, I can take a bite of a pickle and I am done! I can eat something for lunch, but can't eat the same thing at dinner. It has always been this way. I take B6, B12, Biotin and a multi Vitamin. My husband is angry that I am really only eating once a day, and that is to stop the dang headache. To add to my problems, I now have upper dentures and chewing should be easier and I thought it would help me with this, but I don't think so. I had hoped it would open me up to something other than chicken. My port is also tilted and while the fills don't hurt because they send me to radiology, I have an appointment next week with the nurse, hopefully I will be able to get a fill soon. I don't feel like a failure, but I am very disappointed in myself.

I'm confused. If you're not hungry, why are you getting a fill?

Well, I;m not losing. Of course this has be due to bad choices, not only what I eat, because I stay away from the bad stuff. The problem may be that I am not eating often enough, and with only a little restriction and never feeling full or hungry. I need to not be able to eat some of the things I can. I might not get a fill, instructions are to call for a fill if I am not losing 1.5 lbs a week. There is an issue in here somewhere and I hope the appointment will help me find my way. If you check the original post I say that no hunger means no fill by the guidelines.

But didn't you say you're not hungry, you have no interest in food?

It sounds to me like you don't need a fill at all. You may not be losing because you aren't eating enough. Try increasing your calories with high Protein foods(even if it has to be with mushie type food)and see if that helps.

Instead of getting a fill you need to eat more. If you're only eating once a day you probably arent getting enough calories in. I guess if you're truly not hungry drink a Protein Shake or 2 at least. Definitely do not get a fill!

I have put a lot of thought into this and have become aware of a few things.

First, I am not eating enough and my body is holding onto everything because it thinks I'm starving.

Second, because I am not getting enough Protein, my muscle tissue is being attacked. My legs are getting skinny because the muscle tone is dropping, I should be able to fly with the arm flab. This is new and I hadn't noticed the change.

Third, I haven't been getting in enough Water. Liquids yes, but Water is best. Sweet Tea somehow managed to work itself back into my life. coffee will be cut back to 1 or 2 cups a day, I was mainlining the stuff. It can cause me to not be hungry.

Yesterday I recommitted myself to doing the right things for me and I can still be comfortable.

Body Fortress whey Protein can deliver 52g of protein per drink. 1 or 2 of these a day and a good meal will get me back on track.

I will only weigh myself on Mon. mornings and this should help ease my mind.

My water and my Vitamins will not be skipped, no matter what.

I am canceling the appointment until Aug. giving me enough time to see if what I'm doing is working. Wish me luck :rolleyes:

Niterun,

Can I make a suggestion? In the drink mix section of your grocery store, they sell a little squirty liquid called Mio. They have a sweet tea flavor with zero calories. Because you can control how much you put in, you can make it as weak or as strong as you like.

Best wishes!

You may also need an UNFILL to help release some of the pressure on your nerves to give you a bit of hunger back. And to help you better eat healthy foods.

However, even with that - you must make the right choices. If you don't - then nothing will help you.

52 grams of Protein in one drink is too much. 20 to 25 grams at one time is all our bodies can handle, after that it just goes to waste (urine mainly) and stresses our kidneys. Normal kidneys can handle an insult (too much protein) a few times, but over time repeatedly insulting the kidneys will cause damage. Of course, this is your choice. Just giving you the information. Do what you want with it.

I know I told you this on another thread and you said your medical team was ok with it.. but as I understood your reply, they're ok with 1 scoop of the Protein. Do they know you are doubling it?

I understand your frustration.. I seem to be bouncing around at about the same weight too, down a little, then back up again. Then working to get back down again. argh, but I'm not dealing with no hunger. I almost wish I was. :)

Regarding the muscle tone, are you doing any type of weight lifting? That might help.

52 grams of Protein in one drink is too much. 20 to 25 grams at one time is all our bodies can handle, after that it just goes to waste (urine mainly) and stresses our kidneys. Normal kidneys can handle an insult (too much protein) a few times, but over time repeatedly insulting the kidneys will cause damage. Of course, this is your choice. Just giving you the information. Do what you want with it.

I know I told you this on another thread and you said your medical team was ok with it.. but as I understood your reply, they're ok with 1 scoop of the Protein. Do they know you are doubling it?

I understand your frustration.. I seem to be bouncing around at about the same weight too, down a little, then back up again. Then working to get back down again. argh, but I'm not dealing with no hunger. I almost wish I was. :)

Regarding the muscle tone, are you doing any type of weight lifting? That might help.

I heard ya! I took the time to do some research and found that you are correct and the body does not absorb all of it. The double action is for muscle restoration when doing weight lifting; which I am not,. So as of today, I am a 1 scoop girl.

Many of you here have suggested that I am not eating enough and that caused me to do some evaluation of me (as mentioned above), what I'm doing and what I was told to do.

I went back and reread my handouts and my patient handbook. The upside is that when I got on the scale this morning I am down 1.5 lbs. :bananajump: I will be watching it very closely for the next few weeks to see if I am able to do this without a fill or unfill. While I have never had restriction and I have never really measured my food, I am going to really watch the portions more closely. Maybe I've just eaten to much when I do eat is why I am not hungry along with getting the calories from the wrong sources like that dang sweet tea. There is also the possibility that I have pouch dilation. If that's the case the pouch might be resting on the nerve that triggers hunger so it's not firing right.

I'll give it a couple of weeks to see how things go. But THANK YOU! Yes I was a little upset at first but my mind didn't shut down to what you had to say. ;)

I got my band on 3/9/09, things went well and I finally felt that I was in control. I'm not sure how much is in my band, but I had a few cc's in with the surgery. I have had 3 fills, there was an unfill last July because it just tightened from my stupidity. I got stuck real bad and didn't know I should have gone to liquids or soft foods for a few days. I just continued with solids and more and more frequently to get stuck. This caused irritation and swelling, thus I was tight. Then I was stupid again and didn't get a fill until Oct. For this I gained about 9 lbs and I have been fighting ever since. Currently I am at 181 and very angry with me. I am not hungry! So by the guidelines I don't need a fill. Today all I have had is a cup of coffee and some Water. When I get up, I feel that I am not going to be able to eat. Most days I try to get in a Protein drink and the meal I do eat always has the protein first. I wait and wait, but nothing to eat interests me. I used to look forward to my grilled chicken and wild rice, now it just doesn't matter. What is really strange is that I have always been able to eat bread, if it's sliced and toasted I'm good. dinner rolls not a problem, even a sub rolls go down. Yet, I can take a bite of a pickle and I am done! I can eat something for lunch, but can't eat the same thing at dinner. It has always been this way. I take B6, B12, Biotin and a multi Vitamin. My husband is angry that I am really only eating once a day, and that is to stop the dang headache. To add to my problems, I now have upper dentures and chewing should be easier and I thought it would help me with this, but I don't think so. I had hoped it would open me up to something other than chicken. My port is also tilted and while the fills don't hurt because they send me to radiology, I have an appointment next week with the nurse, hopefully I will be able to get a fill soon. I don't feel like a failure, but I am very disappointed in myself.

I have to agree with others, it seems like you may need an unfill instead of a fill since you are not able to get in enough Water or liquids to induce weight loss, also you may want to increase exercise.

I have to agree with others, it seems like you may need an unfill instead of a fill since you are not able to get in enough Water or liquids to induce weight loss, also you may want to increase exercise.

I am able to get what I need, I just haven't paid attention to what I wasn't getting done. In just a couple of days I can see a difference by starting the day with a Protein Shake, a lite lunch or another shake and then a correct portion for dinner. My 32 oz glass filled twice daily and the water is in. This was simply me not using my tool the way I should :mellow: .

I am able to get what I need, I just haven't paid attention to what I wasn't getting done. In just a couple of days I can see a difference by starting the day with a Protein shake, a lite lunch or another shake and then a correct portion for dinner. My 32 oz glass filled twice daily and the Water is in. This was simply me not using my tool the way I should :mellow: .

Sounds like you're back on track. Good Job!