Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have struggled with my weight for 10 years now. I have gained 5 lbs per year and now have GERDs, asthma, high cholesterol, etc. When I started researching the lap band everyone tells me my BMI is too low to be banded. I have not told very many people because they think it is too risky, they think it is drastic, don't understand why I can't just quit eating and exercise more. I have done all of this and can take it off, but only to put it back on with a few extra pounds.

I do not fit into any of my clothes. The doctor says I need to lose 50 lbs. It is all in my middle and I feel miserable. I lost 20 lbs last year and gained 25 this year. I feel this is the tool that will help me take it off and also keep me from over eating. I know it is just a tool and everything else is up to me. My surgery is this Thursday, June 16th and I am avoiding talking about it to any one because they are making me nervous.

Any one else going through this?

Mine is a bit higher than yours, but I am barely 5 feet tall. I have struggled with weight since I was about 10 years old. I am excited to have my life change! I am ready!

My BMI is 31 and I am going through the same thing. Pretty much the only person who has been optomistic has been my priary doctor and of course the surgeon. My surgery is June 30 and there are only a handfull of people who know about it.

Good luck. I will be thinking about you.

That sounds like the story of my life! My bmi is 33/34 and I'm 5"7. The main response I get when I talk about it is "you don't look that big!"... But they don't realize how much being overweight affects my life and the risks it poses to my future health. It's also hard because I'm so young too.

I'm getting banded on July 5th. :)

I have struggled with my weight for 10 years now. I have gained 5 lbs per year and now have GERDs, asthma, high cholesterol, etc. When I started researching the lap band everyone tells me my BMI is too low to be banded. I have not told very many people because they think it is too risky, they think it is drastic, don't understand why I can't just quit eating and exercise more. I have done all of this and can take it off, but only to put it back on with a few extra pounds.

I do not fit into any of my clothes. The doctor says I need to lose 50 lbs. It is all in my middle and I feel miserable. I lost 20 lbs last year and gained 25 this year. I feel this is the tool that will help me take it off and also keep me from over eating. I know it is just a tool and everything else is up to me. My surgery is this Thursday, June 16th and I am avoiding talking about it to any one because they are making me nervous.

Any one else going through this?

Hello, My BMI was 35. I had my surgery May17th. Everyone has said your not big enough. Well when is big enough?After I gain another 30 puonds?I am tired of living like this.I take 6 different medicines daily. I had tried every diet and have exercised with NO results.sad.gif I go for my first fill next week. Good luck with your band.

Katwomantexas

Thank you for sharing your experience with this. I went to the doctor and I had lost the 8 lbs that he said I needed to lose in a week. So I feel good that I did it but the last two days is hard. Just liquids. Then my husband caled and said they opened the new Mexican restaurant down the street. Mind you I live in a small community so that is big for us. I just said, well isn't that nice. LOL! Tomorrow is my surgery. I ready, prepared and willing to get this done so I can move on with the weight loss process. I think the build up has made me anxious. Good luck to all of you and again thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

I have a much higher BMI than you (started out at 50, now it's 46), but I'll weigh in (pardon the pun). The fact is, every person is so different, and all of our needs are different. Weight affects everyone differently. I am appalled that anyone would be so judgmental as to tell you that you don't need the band, or that because you have a lower BMI than most who get the band means that you should just try to lose another way.

Only you and your doctor know best. Some people do have comorbidities and other problems that make losing weight difficult with a smaller BMI. It's all so personal.

Good luck to you folks! I hope that whatever you need to find the best health possible happens for you.

Mine is june 30th also and I stopped telling people when i started getting negative feed back. The only people that know is immediate family, a couple of close friends and thats about it..

Good luck with your surgery I look fwd to hearing about you successes :)

My BMI is 31 and I am going through the same thing. Pretty much the only person who has been optomistic has been my priary doctor and of course the surgeon. My surgery is June 30 and there are only a handfull of people who know about it.

Good luck. I will be thinking about you.

My BMI is 35 and people say the same thing "Your not that Big" when I tell them about my plans. I know what right for me so I just ignore them. I also take 5 medications a day and have struggled for 10 years with my weight. I am only 5'3. I just worry about insurance approval with the lower BMI. I am diabetic, high cholesteral, gerd. Good luck to you all!

my BMI is at 40 right now. At first I thought mine was going to be too low, but come to find out my primary doc tells me that if you have any sort of medical problems associated with your weight, the BMI isn't that big a factor. For example, because of my weight my blood sugar is running high, and I have sleep apnea. I swear I cannot get a good nights sleep without waking myself up snoring. I went for a sleep test and now sleep soundly (on most nights) with my CPAP machine. Just recently I began my doctor evaulated 6 month diet, I am yet to even have a consult my the surgeon I am going to be seeing. I'm a newbie, but I am sooooooooo trying to keep my spirits high.

I hate the " your not that big" comments... I wish people were more supportive..

I hate the " your not that big" comments... I wish people were more supportive..

ME TOO! My surgeon said it to me, but then he said "but the numbers don't lie." I told him I just got good at hiding it. I was on the cusp of 40 and actually was denied twice because I wasn't over 40 for 2 years.

Good luck all :)

How's everyone going???

I started process at 36.28 BMI and at 32 now. Banding on July 6! Yea!