Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Kimmi:

I too could have written this. While I don't know my BMI right now, I started this journey at 225 pounds and barely make 5 foot tall, I'm heavy for being so short and severly need to lose the weight. (Go figure, I got the bad "genes" as my sister is about an inch shorter than me and she doesn't even reach 100 pounds!!! UGH!!! And she has 4 kids and just turned 40!!!!)

My date is June 20 and as it gets closer, I begin the worry and self-doubt. I am self-pay, so the pressure is really on for me to make sure that I don't "waste" the money by being a failure.

I've been trying to stay positive, but then I stumble upon horror stories and negative experiences and then start to panic. I too am worried that I won't lose the weight or will not work with my band and learn how to do the wrong things.

I am in your shoes....wanna be "buddies" to support each other? They say it takes a village to raise a child, and I bet this "village" on LBT will be there to support us in our journey too.....I've met several informative and helpful people that offer support and a helping hand, and my hope is that I can pay it forward and be helpful to others.

you can also email me kittyforet@yahoo.com

good luck!

kristi

My surgery is scheduled for July 18!!! I thought I would be thrilled but now I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and I will be one of the banders who does not loose any weight.

I think I understand all the things that need to be done to make me successful, but what if I can't do it??? Small portions, chew, don't drink during meals, exercise. I know the rules now how to loose weight and keep it off but I can't seem follow those rules.

I read a lot of the posts under struggling lap banders and I could totally be one of them too.

Part of me is like if I keep doing what I am doing now I will keep getting the same results and lap band is my attempt to do something different but what if really I need to change something else??????????? I don't know

I have a bmi of 32 now, and have been up and down for 15 years(mostly up) . I don't know what to dosad.gif

My band date is June 9th. I have the pre-surgery jitters. How will I do Post-op. Will I fail? Is this the right decision?

I too have a BMI of 31. I am self pay because I am not "big" enough. I am barely 5 feet tall and small framed.

But if I don't do this the road ahead is not pretty. Diabetes, knee replacements and high blood pressure etc. The list of health related issues that come from obesity is long and very scary.

I am so scared I can hardly breathe.

My surgery is scheduled for July 18!!! I thought I would be thrilled but now I am afraid I am making the wrong decision and I will be one of the banders who does not loose any weight.

I think I understand all the things that need to be done to make me successful, but what if I can't do it??? Small portions, chew, don't drink during meals, exercise. I know the rules now how to loose weight and keep it off but I can't seem follow those rules.

I read a lot of the posts under struggling lap banders and I could totally be one of them too.

Part of me is like if I keep doing what I am doing now I will keep getting the same results and lap band is my attempt to do something different but what if really I need to change something else??????????? I don't know

I have a bmi of 32 now, and have been up and down for 15 years(mostly up) . I don't know what to dosad.gif

Hi Kimmi,

You have no idea how relieved I am to read your post. I am so new at this that this is my 1st reply to a post. I just met my surgeon and nutritionist on 5/23/11. The 1st of 6 monthly meetings required for my insurance company.

Your fears are my fears. I am nothing if not inconsistant. I have been on dozens of diets and lost and regained hundreds of pounds. On most diets I would lose 30-50 pounds. I am 6'2", 355lbs and a BMI of 45.6. Because I was an athlete everyone always told me that I carried my weight well. I believed them. I felt ok. Even when I developed diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, back and joint pain and failing kidneys, it did not make me feel that bad The mirror even lied because I never thought I looked that bad in the mirror.

So what has changed? This past year has been miserable. Last August I met an old Navy buddy and we went out to Celebrate. You know, 24oz steak, 1lb baked potato, creamed spinach, martinis, scotch, beer, dessert. Delicious!! Three days later I had a Gout attack that put me on crutches on and off for 4 months. Even taking a tubful of pills daily was not enough to turn me around. Then someone gave me a picture of myself recently. I was stunned. Cameras don't lie. I am a true believer now. I will make this work no matter what it takes.

I guess my point is, don't wait until your body starts to fail you before you take some action. I know I will need support on this journey which is why you are here as well. Let's help each other.

Roger

First of all your Surgeon will tell you how many calories a day he wants you to eat, this is for life. He will also tell you to exercise, this to is for life.

If you listen to your surgeon you won't fail ! You will be a success story instead.

Right now, it's a case of nerves getting in there, and a lot of what if's.... Do your research, talk to the people, talk to your Dr., find out information that you need answers to.

Also if it does not work, it's removable. But I don't see that happening... Once you start losing weight, your going to love it.

Just learn from the people that have been here and done that, and the professionals. So pay good attention, and learn, because it's a everyday learning experience.

Shirley.

Kristi and Kimme both took the words right out of my mouth. People have told me repeatedly that I don't need the surgery because they don't "see me as being as big as I think I am." I'm tired of listening to everyone and I'm ready to feel better about myself and be more confident. I have struggled with my weight all of my life and I want to turn 30 with no worries about weight! With a surgery date of June 16th and I plan to make this work. A big incentive of mine is that insurance wouldn't cover me, so this is a LOT out of my pocket and I need to make sure it works! I need support so lets keep in touch.

leanel_01@yahoo.com

First off, let me say, it's not NEARLY as bad as you are thinking. It's a little confusing at first, but it gets easier, when you figure out how your body is taking things. I felt the same way going into surgery. I have a normal life, I eat every single type of food. I don't eat tiny bites, I don't chew till it's mush. Now, obviously everyone reacts differently... so I can't speak for your body. Basically, with fills, you just aren't hungry, which makes it so much easier to stick to a diet. You will lose weight if you stick to your diet. People come on here and complain, but they aren't doing what they need to, if they say they are, they are lying. You can't eat junk food and expect to lose weight, it doesn't work like that. The band is just a piece of plastic, not a miracle worker. This is a lot of work! A lot of learning and dieting, but you can do it :)

Also, yea if we could do it on our own we would have haha laugh.gif I've lost and gained the same 50lbs many times.