Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone!!

My Surgery is in 5 days....can't believe it!!! I am so excited and nervous all at the same time! If anyone has any advise or thoughts for me that would be awesome!! I kind of know what to expect, I have been on here reading ALOT...and my girlfriend just had the surgery this past Tuesday. I was just wondering how long do you feel crappy??

Thanks so much!!

My surgery was a piece of cake really. I am lucky in that I have a high pain tolerance and handle anestesia (can't spell it!) really well. I also had no gas pains. I took pain meds for 2 days or so, figured why be uncomfortable. Bring chapstick, you won't be able to have anything by mouth until they do an exray to make sure everything is where it should be. Your lips will get dry. Also, a pillow for the ride home. Put it between you and the seatbelt. Well, that's my 2 cents. Congrats on your impending surgery, you'll do great.

i was banded last friday and a few pointers i would give would be.

1. make sure someone stays with you at least the first 2 nights(it was hard to get in/out of bed.)

2. make sure you have all your post op diet foods at least for the first week.

3. be prepared to sleep upright for at least 2 days

4. think before you sit in something if you will have to use your abs to get up cuz trust me it will be painful.

Hope this helps. Best wishes on your new journey!

Even though you will feel some discomfort from being swollen, I don't think you will necessarily refer it to feeling crappy because when I had pain, yes...it was uncomfortable, but as soon as I tell myself that I have the band, I would smile!

I don't know if others feel this way, but I will endure any type of pain knowing that there will be a good result out of it.

Congratulations on your surgery date and I am excited for you!!!!

I agree about taking a pillow for the hospital stay, and the ride home, to help get over bumps. Gas pain was the worst part for me, and they make gas-x strips, that are just like the breath freshener ones, and those worked great. I had really bad shoulder and neck pain, and the pain meds weren't helping at all, but as soon as I took the gas-x, totally better! I also bought some childrens tylanol and motrin (liquid) for when I was done taking the hard stuff, but still wasnt totally comfortable. I only took the prescribed pain meds for 24hrs, then I moved on to the kiddie stuff. If you enjoy taking long baths or showers, take a good one the night before, because you can take showers afterwords, just not long ones, and baths are out of the question for a while until your incisions heal. Most importantly.......

GOOD LUCK!! Its such a wonderful new start to life!!!:lol:

My suggestion is to walk, even if you don't feel like it.

Good Luck.................Mine was done Monday May 23, 2011. Only problem I had was gas pains. The first night is the worst. But after that just some minor pain. Walking is the key, keep moving. You will make it with flying colors.