Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1-Week Away from Surgery and got the dreaded call!!!!

At 4:30 yesterday afternoon, my cell phone was going off. It was my Doctor's office telling me that my surgery has been denied!! I say WHAT?? How is that possible? Apparently, the hospital where I'm having the surgery has not acquired their Center Of Excellence as the surgeon's office said they would by the time I had my surgery. I was in complete disbelief and really didn't say a whole lot, I felt the girl at the doctor's office was just like "oh well, there's nothing we can do to help you. Let me know where you want your records sent". I went home and talked to my husband, who reminded me that 2 different people said that the hospital had acquired the COE and then I did remember that. Needless to say this morning, I was on the phone with the Hospital Administration office and the Office Manager for the Surgeon. We'll see what happens now, but I also know that God has my plan for me and I'm going to let him lead the way!!

Oh no, I am so sorry! I will be praying for you for sure.

I had something similar happen. My doc was approved by my insurance and the surgery center he uses was also approved by my insurance. But, just days before my surgery I received a call from the docs office saying that my surgery had to be cancelled. Why? Because, even though the surgery center has a contract with my insurance they did not feel that the amount that their contract said they would be paid was enough! I called the surgery center and spoke to a woman there who said "Yes, it's true. We do not agree with the amount your insurance will pay us, so we won't do your surgery -- unless you pay the difference." (which was THOUSANDS of dollars). I was sooooo mad I could have exploded ... I cried instead, of course. So I called the benefits person at my job who, because the woman at the surgery center had given me information that she was not supposed to, almost got the surgery center lady fired! It was just awful.

Long story short, within days I found a new surgeon and my surgeon found a hospital that would do the surgery for the price my insurance (BCBS) would pay. My surgery was originally scheduled for June 1, 2009. I had my surgery on June 15, 2009.

This is just a minor bump in the road to the new you. Find a center of excellence that is on your insurance and match it up with a surgeon on your insurance that uses that facility. Won't take but a couple of days and you will be back in business. BUT, I tend to agree with you that the hospital IS a center of excellence and your insurance was given the wrong info. Either way ... if it God's will, you WILL have your surgery.

Let's touch and agree on you getting your surgery, shall we?

God bless,

~Fran

When you first get on the Forum, scroll down and look for your state, click on it then look for your city and search for a Center of Excellence Hospital.

Also just ask if anyone knows of a COE hospital in your area. That works too.

I'm sure you will come threw. Just do your research, and you will help solve your problem.

Thanks everyone!! Still working on this, waiting for the doctors office to see if they can get any sort of documentation that shows the hospital has acquired the COE and just waiting for their ID number. I'm giving it till the end of the day, but in the mean time I have made an appt in Baltimore. I will have to go to one of their seminars before they will schedule and appt with the surgeon and I've also contacted Christiana Bariatric, so either way I'm confident I will succeed in getting a new surgery date!!! I went to church yesterday and the pastor said that he had to go to Baltimore today to see a 26 yo girl that needed a double lung transplant, my wanting to have an elective surgery is nothing compared to what some are going through!! I prayed all day for that young lady and hope God will touch her with his healing hands!!

What hospital denied you? Dr. Brebbia operates in both Milford And Dover?

The insurance company denied Milford, because they do not have their Center of Excellence. However, they just don't have their ID number yet, so we're hoping with a letter the insurance company will allow it.

What hospital denied you? Dr. Brebbia operates in both Milford And Dover?