Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I had my surgery on 4/15 and I have had a bump near my port incision but I really don't think that it's my port. It is about the size of a large egg and there is no pain associated with it so I don't think it's a hernia. When I'm standing up I can feel it but it doesn't stick out however when I am laying down on my back it sticks out like crazy and looks really gross. It was a lot bigger to start (about baseball sized) with but in the past 2 weeks or so the size hasn't decreased at all. Has this happened to anyone and if so did it go away and did you do anything to help it along? Any suggestions or advice will help thanks

Yes i had the same experience it will all go away soon.

I had that experience and mine went away. Swelling I guess??

Thanks guys I appreciate it :). How long after was it gone? Did it make getting your first fill more difficult?

Hey Pamela...you should definitely have this checked out. Although, incisional hernias are very rare in laparoscopic banding, it should be considered in cases like yours. It may very well be swelling around your port since after all this is something that your body recognizes as foreign. If you do not have a fever and the size is decreasing you should be ok.

Still, it would be a good idea for your physician to confirm this.

Best of luck,

Dr. JSA

When I first was banded 10/31/2006. I went back to see my surgeon for my first appointment, and I asked him. What was this big lump?

He told me that was my Port, and the swelling will go down. It did..

You might want to ask your surgeon, what is it, and let him look at it, and tell you.

Thanks all I was just concerned because I have my first fill tomorrow. I'll be sure to ask while I'm there. You guys are the best! :)

I got one about two weeks after my surgery. I can feel my port just to the left of my belly button (feels like a baby foot if you ask me) But the other thing developed above my belly button. I went in and they said it was a seroma (spelling could be wrong). It is a little pocket of Fluid and they said that the body should obsorb it. It is still there and it has gone down a little. I never really hurt that much. I think I will have them check it out again when I go for my next appt and get my fill (which is next week yea me)

I had the same thing after surgery. You can actually research it, but my surgeon let me know that is is called a healing ridge. It will eventually go away. It was really hard for me to get my first fill because of the healing ridge being directly over my port area. But it went completely away about two months out. You will be fine.

Ok so it turns out that I have swelling that is intensified by a mild skin irritation. I was put on an antibiotic and have to return to the doctor on the 31st. So no fill so far but fingers crossed it will happen soon. On a lighter note I'm down another 4.5 lbs bringing my official total so far to 35.5 lbs lost in 1 month. Yay!!!! Thanks again to all that have commented :)

Ok so it turns out that I have swelling that is intensified by a mild skin irritation. I was put on an antibiotic and have to return to the doctor on the 31st. So no fill so far but fingers crossed it will happen soon. On a lighter note I'm down another 4.5 lbs bringing my official total so far to 35.5 lbs lost in 1 month. Yay!!!! Thanks again to all that have commented :)

Way to go that is awesome