Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You Get Stomach Pain? PB's ? Need your input.

Hi Everyone,

I was banded in July and to date lost about 40lbs, but most recently the weight loss has stopped. I eat so much less than I used to and it's still not coming off. I've been busy over the holidays like everyone else and wasn't paying much attention to how much/how little I've been eating. Now that the holidays are gone, I've been noticing I'm not eating much at all. Breakfast, nothing, lunch a small scoop of egg salad and dinner 1/2 cup chicken. This is about average of what I eat a day. The last month, I've had a tough time getting the food down. I experience a pressure feeling and then a discomfort, a hic-cup a burb, and finally an internal squeeze and then it's down - sometime's it's a five minute process. I can continue to eat but sometimes it comes back up. The last couple of days it's gotten worse, I have a constant achy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I called my doctor this afternoon and am hoping that he sends me for a x-ray or something tomrrw. I'm nervous that it's scar tissue or something closing up my stomach.

I'm hoping that someone else has had this experience and can tell me not to worry. **P.S. I haven't had any fills yet.

I welcome your input.

Your doctor will almost certainly send you for a barium swallow and possibly an endoscopy. I had a similar experience, but I had too much fill. Once they removed it the problem resolved itself. It could be that your PB'ing has irritated your stomach and you are swollen. I would recommend sticking with liquids until you speak with the doc. Good luck, and please keep us posted!

Gosh, this could be a number of things.

Have you heard from your doctor yet? Please keep us posted on what he's choosing to do - AND the results.

Many of us have expereinced this, but it was after a fill.

Im with the others about sticking to liquids/soft foods until doc has a chance to see whats going on.

hang in there...

Hi All, thanks for your responses. Here's my update; it's not any better the pain comes right after I eat, almost a burning sensation. I called the surgeon and have an endoscopy scheduled at the hospital next Friday. I couldn't take the pain to day, so I went to my primary doctor in hope that he'd send me for an x-ray or upper GI or something. Nothing! He said; double your dosage of Nexium and wait till Friday. Here's what I was able to get down today; no breakfast; lunch - 4 noodles; dinner - two slices of turkey (cold-cut). At this rate the weight should fall off in no time. If I can't make it to Friday, I'm heading the ER. I have had so much discomfort since the very start, I'm beginning to wonder if I did the right thing.

Everytime you PB you will swell..this is why Dr.'s say to do 24 hrs of liquids after a PB..if you are not doing this and continuing to eat this could be your problem you have lots of swelling, give your stoma and esophgus a rest for a day or two.It becomes a vicious cycle if you PB then eat, PB then eat..I know this first hand..I did not do 24 hrs of liquids after a PB and continued to eat and I had a horrible case of esophagitis for 2 weeks.. As far as not losing weight..you are not eating enough to lose weight , plain and simple..

've been noticing I'm not eating much at all. Breakfast, nothing, lunch a small scoop of egg salad and dinner 1/2 cup chicken. This is about average of what I eat a day.

you are not getting in 60 grams of Protein either...you need to eat more as hard as it may be..but not until you give things a rest for a day or two

even though you think the weight should be falling off cuz you are not eating, it would be my guess your body thinks it is in starvation mode and is conserving every calorie you put into it...up your caloric intake to atleast 1200 calories a day and the scale should move.

I agree with Michelle, preband I wouldn't believe you had to eat to lose weight, now I'm a believer, just make the right choices.

Wish ya the best.

Hi, Well here's my latest news. I'm scheduled for the endoscopy on Friday morning but for the last 3 days I've had a fever. I thought it broked last night, woke up in a puddle of sweat but now it's back. Can't take aspirin because of the test, but I'm taking Tynelol and it's still not working. Eating is still uncomfortable and there's still a lot of pain associated with it. I did go to my primary doc earlier this week and my WBC came back low, said that the endoscopy will be the last puzzle to the piece. I hope. Thanks for all your replies and caring comments and concerns. Thank you all.

Hi, Well here's my latest news. I'm scheduled for the endoscopy on Friday morning but for the last 3 days I've had a fever. I thought it broked last night, woke up in a puddle of sweat but now it's back. Can't take aspirin because of the test, but I'm taking Tynelol and it's still not working. Eating is still uncomfortable and there's still a lot of pain associated with it. I did go to my primary doc earlier this week and my WBC came back low, said that the endoscopy will be the last puzzle to the piece. I hope. Thanks to everyone for all your replies, caring comments and concerns.

<!-- / message -->

Hi Everyone,

I had the endoscopy on Friday and was rushed to emergency surgery. The band was visible from the inside of my stomach. The band had eroded through to my stomach and that was the pain I was having. So now, I'm bandless. I'm in a lot of pain and discomfort, but at least it's from the surgery and not the band cutting into my stomach. I wish this would have all worked out but since it didn't, I don't think I'll be doing this again. I will have to dig deep and find the discipline in myself to lose the weight. Nothing is worth the pain and discomfort that I had over the last 6 months to get banded again. I wish you all a ton of good luck and much success. Good luck to everyone.....

Ceira, WOW! I am glad that you and your surgeon took your pain serious. Sorry this has happened. Good luck in your recovery and speedy healing.

Shawn

Oh Ceira, I'm so sorry! I've never heard of anyone eroding so quickly, but I have to admit I was concerned when you listed your symptoms and you didn't even have a fill. I'm glad they caught it and took out your band. Feel better soon, and don't leave LBT just because you're bandless. There are several members who lost their band due to erosion. (((HUGS))) to you, and I wish you a quick recovery!

OH NO, I'm so sorry to hear of another erosion. Someone that knows how to do the bump thing may want to put this in the new section for complications section.

Isn't that rather rare to have erosion so soon? I wish you a speedy recovery and thank you so much for letting us know. HUGS!

Ceira -

I am SO SO sorry to hear your news. You are (unfortunately) in good company, though. You have a number of people here who have lost their bands due to erosion that can probably relate to everything you're going through right now.

Please stick around for the support you're going to continue to need to fight the hunger demons, and for the entertaining threads that help keep my spirits up and give me at least one belly laugh a day.

(((hugs)))

Ceira...

I'm so sorry to hear of your eorsion but as Donali said there are several of us here who can relate to what you are going through, me being one of them. I too am suprised to hear of an erosion happening in such a short period of time. If I may ask, who was your surgeon and where did you have your surgery done?

If I can be of any support to you please do not hesitate to PM me or email me....us eroded bandsters need al lthe support we can get. It has been 2 months for me since I lost my band and it is a struglle but a struggle Iam determined to win. I was fortunate I guess you could say to not have any pain or symptoms from my erosion, I caught it early and was still losing weight 19 months out with great restriction. I wish you the best and just know we are all here for you during this difficult time. Do not go away, stick around , we can all help eachother. I still think of myself as a bandster and try to live as one, the minute I leave LBT is the time I will go back to my old ways so I keep coming here as if I were still banded, this is home for me, these people are family to me. Without them I would be a lost soul.