Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey guys!

I am new, just banded 3 weeks ago tomorrow. I weighed 227 at surgery, and I am pretty sure I am basically the same weight. Maybe down ten pounds or so. I don't like weighing myself because I feel discouraged when I see the scale hasn't really moved.

Anyone else slow to lose? I am freaking out! I know this is early still, but you all know how it feels.

I am doing everything they told me to, eating soft foods or chewing thoroughly, and making healthy choices. Fish, yogurt, cottage cheese, potatoes, low fat milk, multi Vitamins, Calcium supplements.

I guess I just feel like I should have lost a LOT more weight by now.....3 weeks eating half the normal calories I used to......I'm annoyed.

Also, I am STARVING! I am pretty sure I could keep eating just like I always did. When can I expect to feel full? I was thinking maybe after my 1st fill which is in like 2 weeks....

Any thoughts?

Also, how long did your ports hurt? Mine is on my right (which also worries me, was there something wrong with my left?) and is STILL sore. It hurts to sleep on my side, and at the end of long days, I am super sore at my port incision.

Final question, how is alcohol now for you guys? Haven't had any drinks yet but am going on vacation this weekend.

1. First and foremost, the word "only" should be removed when talking about weightloss. That is 10lbs gone, and hopefully 10lbs you'll never see again. While it may not seem like much, those "only 10lbs" soon add up to 50lbs, maybe 100lbs gone. So, congratulate yourself and take pride in the 10lbs you have lost thus far.

You said it yourself. You're early out. The first 6-weeks are not about weightloss, it's about healing and allowing your body to heal inside. Stay off the scale for awhile. You won't gain weight, but during this time you may not lose any either, and that is perfectly normal.

Even though you're doing everything right, keep in mind you didn't gain it all overnight, and you're not gonna lose it all overnight either. It takes a lot of time, patience, and will power.

Keep in mind post 6 weeks, the average weightloss with the band is 1-2lbs a week. Some weeks you'll lose within the range, sometimes less, sometimes more, and sometimes none at all. I say this in almost every reply to most thread, remember, weightloss is not linear nor constant. Keep that in the back of your mind. Also remember that your weight can fluctuate 10lbs in one day.

2. Per the starving issue, focus on getting your Protein in. Protein really helps with hunger as does healthy dietary fats. The "full" feeling is personal. I feel full eating 1 cup of food, sometimes more. Others feel full eating 1/4 cup; it's all relative and differs from bandster to bandster. Not one of us here has the same "full" feeling. I personally don't seek it. I portion out my food, enjoy it, and then I'm done.

Restriction usually isn't met on the first fill, but then again, restriction is all relative as well. I have no fill and have enough restriction to keep me satisfied for 2-3 hours; that's all I want/need.

3. Port pain can last for a few more weeks. The port is sewn to your abdominal muscle so it will take more time to heal/feel completely normal. Try using a heating pad.

4. I'm not sure alcohol this early out is safe, advisable, nor a wise choice. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

It took me about a year to get my restriction. i wasn't losing weight even though i did what the doc said i got depressed many months after the surgery and started eating bad. i lost 30 lbs at my operations and havn't lost any since. i am stuck at the same number yo yo ing some up and down 5 lbs. so hun everone is differnt just be proud and look forward or you might end up like me :( don't get the urge to try the forbidden foods like me now i can't get them out of my head. its easier to believe you can't have them anymore but its up to you i wont tell you how to live your life just giving some pointers :D

1. First and foremost, the word "only" should be removed when talking about weightloss. That is 10lbs gone, and hopefully 10lbs you'll never see again. While it may not seem like much, those "only 10lbs" soon add up to 50lbs, maybe 100lbs gone. So, congratulate yourself and take pride in the 10lbs you have lost thus far.

You said it yourself. You're early out. The first 6-weeks are not about weightloss, it's about healing and allowing your body to heal inside. Stay off the scale for awhile. You won't gain weight, but during this time you may not lose any either, and that is perfectly normal.

Even though you're doing everything right, keep in mind you didn't gain it all overnight, and you're not gonna lose it all overnight either. It takes a lot of time, patience, and will power.

Keep in mind post 6 weeks, the average weightloss with the band is 1-2lbs a week. Some weeks you'll lose within the range, sometimes less, sometimes more, and sometimes none at all. I say this in almost every reply to most thread, remember, weightloss is not linear nor constant. Keep that in the back of your mind. Also remember that your weight can fluctuate 10lbs in one day.

2. Per the starving issue, focus on getting your Protein in. Protein really helps with hunger as does healthy dietary fats. The "full" feeling is personal. I feel full eating 1 cup of food, sometimes more. Others feel full eating 1/4 cup; it's all relative and differs from bandster to bandster. Not one of us here has the same "full" feeling. I personally don't seek it. I portion out my food, enjoy it, and then I'm done.

Restriction usually isn't met on the first fill, but then again, restriction is all relative as well. I have no fill and have enough restriction to keep me satisfied for 2-3 hours; that's all I want/need.

3. Port pain can last for a few more weeks. The port is sewn to your abdominal muscle so it will take more time to heal/feel completely normal. Try using a heating pad.

4. I'm not sure alcohol this early out is safe, advisable, nor a wise choice. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!

Everything she said. Alcohol you should wait at least 6 weeks till your body is healed. Even now though alcohol is weird cause you are such a cheap drunk LOL

I was banded last June and I lost pretty steady up until February of this year. I haven't lost more than 3 pounds since then, but I did drop a pants size. In my case I am having trouble increasing calories, Protein and Water intake.

10 pounds in three weeks is just great. That's over 3 pounds a week! My suggestion is to cut down on the carbs. Potatoes have lots of carbs, as does milk. Yougurt and cottage cheese also have semi-significant carbs (greek yougurt has less). I stick to low fat cheese for my calcium- very low in carbs. Milk also has lots of calories- I believe you are better off eating your calories rather than drinking them. As far as restriction, just know it will come. It took me 3 fills to feel any restriction.

Another thought is excersise. You don't mention if you are working out. Of course get clearance from your doc. but 3 weeks out you should be fine. It works wonders for weight loss. Start off slow and gradually increase your speed/intensity. Hope all this helps. Take care!

Thanks everybody.

So, as for exercise, I haven't yet. But one of the reasons I was banded is because weight loss for me has become extremely hard. I ran two marathons and did two triathlons last year. I teach Spinning and kickboxing at the YMCA and work out like it is a part time job. Hours upon hours. With no weight loss results. I am also a certified personal trainer, so I know various ways to cycle my workouts.

My muscle mass fluctuates up and down based on what I am training for and how I cycle my workouts, but I have a very reluctant metabolism.

Anyway, thanks for the support and encouragement. And you're right, it's taken me 30 years to get to this point, I guess patience is key.

Thanks everybody.

So, as for exercise, I haven't yet. But one of the reasons I was banded is because weight loss for me has become extremely hard. I ran two marathons and did two triathlons last year. I teach Spinning and kickboxing at the YMCA and work out like it is a part time job. Hours upon hours. With no weight loss results. I am also a certified personal trainer, so I know various ways to cycle my workouts.

My muscle mass fluctuates up and down based on what I am training for and how I cycle my workouts, but I have a very reluctant metabolism.

Anyway, thanks for the support and encouragement. And you're right, it's taken me 30 years to get to this point, I guess patience is key.

Hi,

Just a thought, have you had your thyroid levels checked? I worked out everyday for months sometimes twice a day at the gym without any weight loss then at a visit to my doctor she decided to check my thyroid levels and found that my TSH was so high I had zero metabolism and it was contributing to my lack of weight loss. Good luck with everything.