Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

atkins before surgery??

How many of you did Atkins before surgery? and how successful were you? I really want to be below 300 if possible before surgery so that my BMI is as close to 50 as possible, and my mother loves atkins and swears that will help. But I want to hear how it went after the band. Did you have trouble with taking in carbs and such? Was there an initial weight gain after the surgery? Thanks!!

Amy

I lost 41 pounds in a month.. they told me one and a half months before my surgery that I had to lose 40 to 60 pounds and I paniced and when there was only a month left, I made sure I ate 20 carbs or less on average perday and I lost 41 pounds...

IT WORKS!

My daughter lost 15 pounds (she started at 150)

My cousin lost 25 pounds (she started at 170)

I had started at 415..

Stay under 20.. and try to exersize as much as possible (your excersize counts and WORKS like twice as much when you have NO carbs to burn through.. thus your fat is burned faster)

I am disabled and all I did was aqua aerobics

If I can do it anyone can. (beleive it!)

Awesome!! I have been studying all day. Trying to decide if I was going to do the Protein powder diet or the Atkins diet. Did you stay in induction that whole time? And how have things been since you got banded? have you just continued the diet or have you included carbs again? I would be afraid that the instant carbs were reintroduced I would gain a ton back LOL

Amy

Yep. Once you start eating carbs again the weight will come back. Trick is not to start again. I know from experience. Lost from 320 to 263, then plateaued out for about 9 months, got off of it and then gained back to 300 in 3 months. Got back on it again on 12/26 and have lost back down to 285. It works, just don't ever stop. It is a lifestyle change...forever...

Now understand you are allowed some carbs. You can get up around 40 with no problems, but that first bite of real sugar will go straight to your hips. Eat whole grains, fruits, and veggies. Those are fine. But Little Debbie will turn you in to a Big Bertha!

Low carb has other advantages too. It helps my joint pain, acid reflux, PCOS, rosecea, and I have more energy.

Good Luck!

I did well on Atkins for about a year...lost 50 pounds which is more than I had ever managed to lose. Then even though I was following the plan I plateaued and stayed the same for a year. That's when I started to slip...after all, if I'm being good and isn't helping, I might as well let up a little (aren't we g reat at rationalizing?!) But when I was doing low carb strictly, I felt amazingly better...joint pain was much less and I just felt "lighter" and more energetic. I'm back on it again now presurgery and plan to continue when I get back on regular foods post surgery.

Emily

I did well on Atkins for about a year...lost 50 pounds which is more than I had ever managed to lose. Then even though I was following the plan I plateaued and stayed the same for a year. That's when I started to slip...after all, if I'm being good and isn't helping, I might as well let up a little (aren't we g reat at rationalizing?!) But when I was doing low carb strictly, I felt amazingly better...joint pain was much less and I just felt lighter and more energetic. I'm back on it again now presurgery and plan to continue when I get back on regular foods post surgery.

Emily

yes, i stayed on the 20 carbs for the month.. induction, i guess.. we just decided to have one rule and that was under 20 carbs a day.

I kept my weight off.. after I was banded and back on carbs, but I didnt lose any either..

My cousin and my daughter went right back to carbs and we thought they woulg gain it all back and they didnt.. for about 6 months and then they did gain it back.

oh Not EVEN!! Atkins diet sucks!! I thought I would love it cause I love steak. UGH! If I see another steak for a while I will sick up! I guess with more planning I would have done ok. But at the 5th day of induction I have the worst Migraine that lasted a day and a half and cried for most of that time because the need for bread was KILLING me! LOL Plus my birthday is this weekend, and we are travelling to North Carolina to be with family to Celebrate my birthday and my husband's who had his earlier this month. And I know we are having cake from this little store in town that makes the BEST icing EVAR!!! hehehe There was no way I was going to pass that up. After we get back I may plan my menu out a bit better and try again. Probably not good to try and start right before a big cake event. HAHA

And what in the hell is with people on atkins forums?? They are so evil when it comes to people who are going to have any kind of surgery! I went to a few to get some info and support. I got bombed with mail from people calling me weak and lazy for wanting to have the surgery, that it is the easy way out, and that I am a coward. I hate that!! And they laugh that I want to lose weight before having the surgery... "Well if you can lose before the surgery, why are you having the surgery??" Well, dumas, I never have problems losing, its the keeping it off that tickles me wrong.

Anyway, wanted to vent. LOL Atkins nearly made me insane. I will try it differently the next time around and add more fish and chicken, and less steak and bacon. LOL and DH made me swear no more eggs. **insert farting smilie here**

Amy

Guest FunnyFatGirl

HEy everyone! Not to sound stupid, but why would you need to lose weight before surgery? I'm new at this lap band thing. I go for my first appointment Friday to talk with Doc and do tests.

Well I have heard a few theories as to why. Personally, I just want to get started, but have to wait till the end of April for my surgery. I have also heard the boost to your metabolism before surgery helps you to jump start the weight loss after the surgery, as well as help you heal quicker, and lose the extra Water faster. I have also heard a big reason is so that the liver is smaller and more out of the way when the surgery is done. There are various reasons. Also, for me, (self pay) the surgery will be cheaper if I am below a BMI of 50. So I have that to look towards. :)

Doesn't it always come down to money? LOL

Amy

Oh my gosh! I just love Atkins. I have been sticking with it and the weight is dropping off again. I have to be strick on myself or I won't lose and the carbs put weight on me like crazy!

If you think about it, Atkins is like the bandsters diet... Protein, veggies, fruit... and then carbs, but I don't think refined sugar is good for anyone.

I did Weight Watchers for a month and actually gained, but I know some people that have lost a great deal and maintained on that diet. I personally know that Atkins is for me.

Good luck!

Low carb is the way to go... IMO

My doc said I had to lose weight before the surgery cuz rapid weight loss shrinks the fat around the liver and with too much fat on the liver, its too hard to do the surgery and he wont be able to do it.

I know I will try it again. After my birthday. And after more planning. I had a very hard time with it, and was having a very bad day the other day when I posted that. LOL I hate how much food controls me!! It is awful! To make me so upset that I am crying over not being able to have BREAD! Are you kidding me??? I am determined to get passed this, and I know that the lap band is for me, after this little episode.

Amy

My Doc does South Beach Phase 1 instead of liquid diet prior to surgery for liver shrinking. SB1 is essentially Atkins with a restriction to LEAN Protein vs any old Protein you want.

I did quite well on a modified version of Atkins before... Lost 40-50 lbs (no scale - but based on clothing size & life experience).

I was pure as the driven snow doing my under 20 carbs and eating mostly low fat meats and such for six days out of the week.

On the seventh day, I rested - and ate anything I wanted. I never felt too deprived - cause I knew Saturday was coming around again soon.

Of course, it was probably horribly un-healthy - but it worked for me.

Just a thought, if you need to go long-term to lose the weight.

Good Luck!!