Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is an Unfilled Band the same as no band?

How would a fill hold a band in place unless it was so tight that it couldn't move? Sorry but that doesn't make any sense to me.

I have no fill and my surgeon thinks that is fine. She is also a Center of Excellence surgeon.

It can lay sloppy, and things can get hung up on it.

It may not make sense to you.

But I walked in those shoes, and it was not easy.

Imagine a tire on a rim. It needs to be filled at least a certain amount to lock in place.

I know it's not the same to you, but to blow that band up just a little is important.

Even when we are emptied, there is still a little in the band. I found that out 2 months ago when they stuck a needle in it, and there was about 1/8cc in it. So she said your band can never be emptied all the way. There will always be something in there. But not enough to lock it in place.

I have a 4cc band, this may make a difference I don't no ! But if people are going to tell me Hay I'm fine! Maybe that is the reason. But I only know what I have experienced, and been taught.

If anyone has a Dr. apt. coming up. Do me a favor and ask them if this is true. They might say the old band yeagh.

Well that would be mine. But when I see my new surgeon, you can bet I will ask him.

My doctor told me many of his patients never get a fill and lose the weight they want with the band simply installed in place.

My doctor told me many of his patients never get a fill and lose the weight they want with the band simply installed in place.

That may be true ! but some people get the band, a NEWER ONE, and they put a little something in it. There's a reason for that, or they wouldn't do it.

It might depend on how the surgeon places the band. My surgeon folds a piece of stomach (?) down around the band, kind of like an elastic waistband on a pair of pants. He said it prevents the band from slipping. He did say that about 25% of his patients never need a fill. The band puts just enough pressure on the vagus nerve by itself to control the hunger.

It might depend on how the surgeon places the band. My surgeon folds a piece of stomach (?) down around the band, kind of like an elastic waistband on a pair of pants. He said it prevents the band from slipping. He did say that about 25% of his patients never need a fill. The band puts just enough pressure on the vagus nerve by itself to control the hunger.

That's how mine was put in. and I stil get fills. But I think I'm getting to that sweet spot. Because I really don't have a appetite.

There is a big difference. The first fill that you get locks the band in place. If it's empty ! You will be surprised how much food will get hung up on this band that needs to be tightened. You can't drive far on a deflated tire right? It needs to be filled.

Mine was deflated for 3 years, until about 2 months ago. (LONG STORY) You can't imagine how it feels , knowing that at every meal "almost" something would get stuck..... Now,,, as long as I chew my food, cut it small, eat small amounts also. I'm good to go. Believe me, it's like torture vs pleasure.

I know there are people out there that are saying. It works for me !

Just so you know, it can be very dangerous to be unfilled. It's better to have a small fill, and have it locked in place.

There was a Council Woman that had the band done, News reported that she choked to Death eating Fried chicken.. Well Henry Ford Hospital did the

Autopsy, and my surgeon was the surgeon that did her

band. The report was false. She had not been filled yet, and she was eating pizza.

She swallowed a whole sausage slice, and it went over the wind pipe, and blocked it like a Drain Cover. She chocked to Death.

So if your waiting for your first fill. Follow your Doctors

orders. If you had it deflated,,, please be careful.

Shirley.

First off, how in the world do you blame the band for a person having a piece of sausage blocking her trachea? The band is around your stomach, which is in your abdominal cavity where the opening to your trachea is in your mouth. I don't see how the two are related. If she died from that there is no way the band caused it.

Secondly, a bans has to have Fluid for it to be locked in place? The sutures are what is holding it in place. I've had my band for 4 months and have not had a fill and I've never been stuck or PB'd or anything. I don't see how it can be dangerous.

Third, is this surgeon your quoting the same one who caused you to have all the problems with your band? If so I don't think you should remember anything he's said.

First off, how in the world do you blame the band for a person having a piece of sausage blocking her trachea? The band is around your stomach, which is in your abdominal cavity where the opening to your trachea is in your mouth. I don't see how the two are related. If she died from that there is no way the band caused it.

Secondly, a bans has to have Fluid for it to be locked in place? The sutures are what is holding it in place. I've had my band for 4 months and have not had a fill and I've never been stuck or PB'd or anything. I don't see how it can be dangerous.

Third, is this surgeon your quoting the same one who caused you to have all the problems with your band? If so I don't think you should remember anything he's said.

I understand what you are saying.

The lady that choked, it's like anyone else it covered the wrong pipe, and could not be freed. So as they say chew. chew, chew. Apparently she did not.

As for myself, I did go threw the agony, and torture of not being filled, and it was terrible. That is the truth ! I can honestly say sometimes I didn't think I was going to live. It was so bad...

This was what he told us, because it's no good to us unfilled. He was right.

As far as his after care 'HE SUCKS" ! I have a new Surgeon that was trained by him......

We talked, and he told me what a bad attitude he has.

My husband was with me, and he found out what a pain he really was.

I'm not kidding on this matter.. again this is a 4cc band, the tighter that I am getting filled, the easier things go down.

I got filled about 2 months ago, and have not been stuck yet. So maybe it's his work, but I was never so miserable.

It's sounding like it is no good filled either! I am thinking the problem with your band might be in it's placement. Perhaps it wasn't put in the right place.

I hope your new surgeon corrects the issues and misinformation of the old one. You deserve to have success.

You are second guessing me, and couldn't be more wrong..

I went to a new surgeon, this band was checked under fluoroscope, and it is in beautiful shape. It is sewn in like a waistband of a pair of slacks.

so it can't slip. (THE STOMACH IS PULLED UP,AND OVER THE BAND, THEN STITCHED.)

I was told no leaks, slippage, erosion, and in perfect shape. so no REVISION Surgery is needed. But ! Don't you know you have to keep a fill in this band, so it's not deflated.

I said yes I do. Its a 4cc band, and you have to have something in it. Do you ever get hung up or stuck? Yes all the time. This is why you have to keep something in it.

Gee ! didn't I learn this from my old surgeon??? Ya think ! Well yes I did.Unless you have a 4cc band, and walked in these shoes, I guess your wrong.

I don't know what size band you have. I keep forgetting that they changed it. Maybe for yours it is not necessary,,, but it sure is for this one.

I found my original name from almost 5 yrs. ago. I'm hoping that's what this comes up under. Anyway you will see the weight loss from this band. and calorie counting.

This puts it to a end on my part.