Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Foof gets stuck??

I read a lot about certain foods getting stuck -what the heck does that mean exactly? Does that mean you have to throw up, burp, or simple cough?? My nurtitionist also mention food getting stuck in the opening of the pouch? Am I committing myself to a lifetime of getting sick?

I am about 3mos out and yes certain foods do get stuck and you have to hope it works itself down or bring it back up, but you will learn what foods agree with you and what doesnt but the main thing is too chew, chew,chew, chew take it slow :rolleyes:

The food is too big or too thick to go thru the opening in your band. It can be very uncomfortable. I used to get stuck a lot and I was convinced I could no longer eat bread, Pasta, pizza, then I learned (for me) it is not so much what I eat as how fast or how big of a bite i take. Even if my bite is not so big, I try to only swallow a bit of it at a time. It seems if the food in my mouth goes down in one swallow I get that stuck feeling. It's gotten so I dont' even have to think about it anymore, It has gotten to be old habbit. Also, if I am really hungry and eat the first few bites fast (even if they are small) I get stuck. Some times it will work it's way thru the band, sometimes burping helps and some times it just has to come back up. I am tighter than I have ever been and have not been stuck in weeks. You'll catch on... believe me! Good Luck!

I think getting banded changes how you look at food, I no longer look at it as a coping skill, perhaps it was getting stuck ALL THE TIME, I can't eat chicken, granted my doctor told me certain foods I would say good bye to and I was ok with that, but every damn thing I eat, so i am on liquid, dare I go off liquid I get stuck, I have asked my doctor about this and he thinks I eat to fast, don't chew enough, and I know it's not that....

I no longer enjoy food, I think of eating as a chore, as a pain in the ass due to getting stuck, if i am at work and I need to leave to throw up, or I start spitting to try and get it out, I tend to not eat around people due to fearing this......

Perhaps it will be different for you and I am only 3 months out but still.....:(

At first it is a chore...you are new to the lifestyle and have to consciously THINK to chew chew chew....and you are adjusting to the band as well....but after about 6 months I found it was second nature, I no longer had to focus totally on chewing, etc.

Now there are still foods that will get stuck and I have to kinda burp to throw it up as it just sits there and hurts...usually that is the stuff we are to avoid anyway - a bite of donut is SO not worth it when it caused that pain! Also I have trouble with rubbery eggs like at mcdonalds and breads.....I can tolerate a slice of thin crust pizza OK, but anything more doughy is a problem. You will find out what you can tolerate as you go along ---- I have no trouble with chicken...my friend eats steak without a problem as long as she take teeny bites and chews well.....

It is a process - learning this new lifestyle..it will get better!

Kim

I mean "food-not foof" lol

Eating is a chore??? Really?? I still wantto enjoy some foods (in moderation of course). It's such a social act. I am not a chewer and that's something I'll need to do.

I mean "food-not foof" lol

Eating is a chore??? Really?? I still wantto enjoy some foods (in moderation of course). It's such a social act. I am not a chewer and that's something I'll need to do.

Yeah, sometimes eating can be a chore. I'm 2.5 years out from surgery...and at this point things are pretty second nature for me. For example, last night, the husband had some Cereal for dinner (it was a fend for yourself night.) and rather than be bothered with the thought of what I would eat, etc...I just didn't feel like going to the trouble. The hunger isn't usually there for me, I eat to stay alive now, not to cope with life. For the most part, the emotion of eating is gone for me.

I sit here now with my 1/2 tuna fish sandwich and I'd rather just chuck the remained in the trash, but I know I need to eat...it's bizarre that now I almost have to force myself to eat...

this isn't to say I don't love to go out to eat with my family, etc. It's just not quite the "fun" experience it once was, if you call pigging out fun. Does that make sense? I wouldn't change it for the world, the band has worked really well for me.

Also, there are times when I can unexpectedly eat more than I thought. For example, I got a small blizzard from DQ over the weekend, and was able to eat the whole thing. Even though this is a slider food, I can't normally push the envelope with any food. I know what I can eat without weighing or measuring. My band was just having a loose moment, and I enjoyed every bite. Of course I wasn't hungry for dinner...but those things will happen! ;)

I liked the "foof"! I say it a lot when I am stuck...foofing chicken! Foofing bread! The other day it was Foofing Stuffing!! rolleyes.gif One day something will go down fine, the next day, not so fine. For me, that is a fact of banded life!

I am three years out, and things still get stuck. I still get surprised. You can minimize the chance by taking small bites and swallowing it before you take the next bite. I am not talking about just chewing a bite well, but actually cutting the food into tiny bits before putting them into your mouth.

If you feel even a tiny bit of pain, STOP eating. Often times, if I stop eating and wait, it will pass and I will be fine to continue. If I put more food on top of a stuck situation, it is just going to get worse. If it doesn't go down, and I haven't put more food on top of it, the episode will be easier to resolve.

There are some bandsters who never get stuck. I think they are rare. For me, eating is NOT a chore. I still enjoy food. I just have to be careful of my choices. Eating in a group can be challenging, because I tend to pay less attention to eating and more to the conversation. Plus it can be weird to be stuck in front of people that don't know you are banded. So, I make choices I know will go down in that case.

And I agree with Kim, doughnuts are SO not worth it!!

I no longer enjoy food, I think of eating as a chore, as a pain in the ass due to getting stuck, if i am at work and I need to leave to throw up, or I start spitting to try and get it out, I tend to not eat around people due to fearing this......

I know I might be weird, but this is kind of the part that I am looking forward to. I like that eating will be just a chore. I am tired of food controlling my life. *I* should be controlling my life. I feel like overeating is an addiction to food. The hard thing is, you can't just give up food. Smokers can just quit cold turkey. We can't just not eat. This seems to be the biggest advantage to the band is it forces you to only eat out of necessity and to only eat small amounts of nutritious foods and then move along with your day. Eating is a social thing, but nothing says you can't still sit at the table with a glass of Water and enjoy the social company of those around you without eating a heaping plate full.

I will definitely miss a lot of foods, but I will not miss being overweight and feeling like crap.

I have not been banded yet, but I am actually practicing this already. We had a group of friends going out to eat, so I ate my healthy meal at home before we left and I just ordered a drink at the restaurant and enjoyed the company of my friends. I just told everyone that I had already eaten at home and no one thought twice about it.

I know the band is different for everyone but I am so excited to have eating just become a chore. Brush my teeth, do my hair, eat, move along with my day. To me, it seems to be freedom at last from basing everything around food. :)

know I might be weird, but this is kind of the part that I am looking forward to. I like that eating will be just a chore. I am tired of food controlling my life. *I* should be controlling my life. I feel like overeating is an addiction to food. The hard thing is, you can't just give up food. Smokers can just quit cold turkey. We can't just not eat. This seems to be the biggest advantage to the band is it forces you to only eat out of necessity and to only eat small amounts of nutritious foods and then move along with your day. Eating is a social thing, but nothing says you can't still sit at the table with a glass of Water and enjoy the social company of those around you without eating a heaping plate full.

I agree to a point, I do go out with friends and not eat, i find myself skipping meals or just opting for liquid due to the above i have stated, wait till you get banded, you will see the difference, and I actually hope you don't have this issue, it stinks and it's annoying, I have taken back my life, and I will continue but I do miss enjoying a simple piece of chicken, after a spin class, the simple things.

know I might be weird, but this is kind of the part that I am looking forward to. I like that eating will be just a chore. I am tired of food controlling my life. *I* should be controlling my life. I feel like overeating is an addiction to food. The hard thing is, you can't just give up food. Smokers can just quit cold turkey. We can't just not eat. This seems to be the biggest advantage to the band is it forces you to only eat out of necessity and to only eat small amounts of nutritious foods and then move along with your day. Eating is a social thing, but nothing says you can't still sit at the table with a glass of Water and enjoy the social company of those around you without eating a heaping plate full.

I agree to a point, I do go out with friends and not eat, i find myself skipping meals or just opting for liquid due to the above i have stated, wait till you get banded, you will see the difference, and I actually hope you don't have this issue, it stinks and it's annoying, I have taken back my life, and I will continue but I do miss enjoying a simple piece of chicken, after a spin class, the simple things.

You have a good point. I'm sure I will get tired of it happening, too. Sometimes I can be almost obnoxiously optimistic. I hope I don't have the issue too, I obviously can't possibly understand it since I am not banded yet. :( I didn't mean to belittle the issue, just trying to find the silver lining. I am trying to embrace every aspect of it, the positive and the negative. I will be interested to feel that "stuck" feeling. I'm sure after one time I will already be sick of it :P

Don't be surprised if you never get stuck. I have a pretty good fill and I have yet to get stuck after a year of being banded. I am so excited!

Good for you, noturningbackII. I wish I could say the same. I have been stuck more than I care to count. The very 1st time, it was when I was at an anniversary party for my priest. How embarrassing is that? My son had to tak eme home, and I was sliming and barfing all over the place. (Sorry for being graphic). Most times, I am just stuck and can get it up, or down.

I hoe that you can live without the problem. I am not a good chewer, but after 18 months am finally learning to chew,chew,chew.

But, some things are not my friend. I can't eat salad greens, they get stuck, and have to either be spit out or else! Good luck, my friends!! Karen

PS::But I am down 104 lbs, and happier than I can say. I am normal weight and can shop normal stores for clothes. I have an new addiction, and it is SHOPPING!!!

I read a lot about certain foods getting stuck -what the heck does that mean exactly? Does that mean you have to throw up, burp, or simple cough?? My nurtitionist also mention food getting stuck in the opening of the pouch? Am I committing myself to a lifetime of getting sick?

I hope that I did not scare you off! Just my reality! I live and enjoy smoothies about 1-2 times a day. I only eat one meal of real food, but that is out of choice. My smoothies consist of Protein powder and fruits. Not everyone does that. THIS IS MY CHOICE!!!Karen

Thanks for all the replies about foofing! lol Okay-one more question -when food gets stuck and you need to vomit does that mean you need to force yourself to vomit (fingers down throat) or that you suddenly feel like you have to vomit? Is it just a quick vomit or are you over the toilet barfing. I know it's a gross question, but I need to know what I'm in store for! Thanks again everyone!