Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone else have trouble telling people you had lap band surgery? I ran into a friend at the gym today and i told her i was on a special diet the dr put me on. I told her that it focused on veggies, fruit, meat and low fat dairy and exercise. I'm embarrassed that i couldn't loose weight on my own. I would love to hear from other people.

I've told a few; most don't know. I don't tell them I'm on a diet though, because I'm not. I eat like a normal person, just less and I exercise. Normal, IMO.

There is only a small handful of people who know I've had the surgery. Family. No one else needs to know. It's none of their business.

I'm on a diet. I don't eat as much. Simple.

I feel if people know I've done it, then I'm putting myself under their microscope. I don't like being graded and judged.

Most of my friends & family know...I've experienced both support & judgment but at the end of the day with EVERYTHING in life not just WLS...people shouldn't judge others since they haven't walked in their shoes. Unfortunately, people just can't help themselves...you do what is best for you!

Good Luck!

Most of my friends & family know...I've experienced both support & judgment but at the end of the day with EVERYTHING in life not just WLS...people shouldn't judge others since they haven't walked in their shoes. Unfortunately, people just can't help themselves...you do what is best for you!

Good Luck!

Personally, this is MY journey. Folks I've told are on a 'need to know' basis. I do a pretty good job of judging myself and do not need it from others who have no skin in the game. Sorry but thier opinions don't count unless they're walking in my shoes.

I feel the same way. I am new, just banded on March 28th. Even before the surgery, while I was undergoing the approval process for 4 months, I only told like 4 people, one of which was my husband. Now I too, don't feel comfortable telling people. I too feel a little ashamed that I had to resort to such drastic measures, and, people just don't understand if they've never struggled with their weight, so I feel ike there is alot of bad judgement to be had. Therefore I too just tell on a need to know basis.

I tell everyone! It's a very exciting journey. Only my husband and my sister get the "details" though, they know all, everything from pain to Constipation.< /p>

The one thing that jumped out at me from your post was not wanting to tell because you were embarrassed you could not do it on your own. I would encourage you to really work on changing this outlook because if you think about it.....the band is going to lend a bit of an assist but you are still going to do the work. This is not an easy out and you need to give yourself credit for the work you will have to do for it to be successful, and it WILL be work!

Good luck on your journey!! :)

I tell everyone! It's a very exciting journey. Only my husband and my sister get the "details" though, they know all, everything from pain to Constipation.< /p>

I do too... I don't care if people judge me or not. They are judging me being fat.

Most people I tell usually want to know about it or already know and are happy for me. Fortunately, no one has been negative about it :)

Julia

Nope... I tell them. Don't care who knows. I've been overweight since I was a child, I'm proud of my decision to finally do something about it.

I have a big mouth and I have told everyone I know and asked for their support and prayers. I'm 40 years old and have struggled all of my life with my weight. I thank God that it is a 40 year weight loss struggle and not a 40 year cancer struggle or something worse. I was so excited when I even found out about the band that i talked everyone's ear off that would listen. I agree with the other posters, I don't care what other people think. I needed the help and thank God I got it. People who have a problem about it, would find something to complain about anyways. There are those who judged me for being fat, and I know in advance that those who will judge me when I get skinny....................fact of life. Apparently, not many people in my town have had the surgery and most of my family members have never heard of it. My excitement about it has caused so many to ask questions and two people I love and care about are seriously considering it for themselves as they see me progress and change. What a blessing I am being in giving them some hope. My mom used to have a saying that was "people who are going nowhere don't want to see you succeed, but those who are, cheer you on." I have gotten really good over the years of telling the difference. Those who want to get on my band wagon are more than welcome to, and the rest can stay where they are until they decide to jump on board too. I even posted my surgery date and results on my Facebook page. Some of my friends on there who had not seen me in years didn't even know that I needed any help but they sure do keep in touch and ask how it's going. Their faith in me that I can do it just helps me all the more.

I was actually thinking about this today and was struggling with whether I should be more open about it. I have had quite a few people ask me about weight loss and my standard answer is I spend more time in the gym and less in the kitchen. This is the truth but really there is so much more to it. I know we have to do the work but it is SO much easier now than it ever was before.

My hesitation to tell others was more out of a fear that it might not work and I would be judged for failing even with surgery. I still have that fear that it can't last. It never has before so how can this be forever? Hopefully as time goes on I will be able to accept it as a permanent solution. Maybe I need to go back home today and throw out those "fat" clothes I put in the attic last week.