Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Filled too much?

I was banded way back in January of 2010. I have had a rough time as each 2c fill I get seems to do nothing as far as restiction for me. The last fill I got in September 2010 seemed to be "almost" enough. I decided to wait till after the holidays to see what the doctor said about another possible fill. Well, I saw my doctor last Tuesday and she decided to give me a .5cc. After she did the xray to see if things were still going down she was a bit skeptical about doing it. It was tight but the liquids were going down. She said to give it a couple days and see what happened.

Well, over the 1st couple days I was tight and, of course, stayed with liquids. The next 2 days I was still tight so I stayed with mushy's (ie mashed potatoes, egg beaters, yogurt) On Saturday I went to real food again. My hubby and I were going out to dinner so I decided to stick with fish. We had a few beers prior to dinner and a few after. fish, stuffing and rice went down fine. There wasn't much and I ate slowly. All was as it should be.

Now, Sunday morning I awoke and made an egg beater omlett, no problems. For lunch I had some Peanut Butter and a few crackers. Not great but OK (not a great choice anyway!). Dinner was a bbq steak and salad. Well, the steak was hard going and I finally gave up after a few oz. It ended up coming back up on me. Now for the last 2 days I have only been able to keep liquids and VERY mushy food down. Nothing solid is working. Could I just be swollen from the steak on Sunday or am I too filled? I don't believe anything is stuck as this has happened to me before and I feel no pain until I am half way through my meal. That's when it all comes up again. I have been trying to have egg beaters for lunch and NO GO! I get about one egg down and I start PBing. It won't stop till I make myself bring it up again.

I am torn. Should I wait a little longer or go have the doctor take some out again! I just feel like I will never achieve restriction! I am either abl to eat anything or nothing! WHY!!

Thanks in advance for any help or words of encouragement.

Must say I was a bit taken when no one responded to my pleas. BUT, I took matters into my own hands and decided to put down what happened for those who may read this looking for the same answer..

I decided to get a small unfill. I went to talk with my doctor and she agreed with me. She took out less than a quarter cc. I didn't think it would really make too much difference BUT it did!! Thursday is when I went to the doctors and since then I have had great restriction without getting sick or PBs!!! I just feel FULL when I have had enough. I can actually eat ONE egg and be satisfied!! REALLY! I am SO HAPPY!!!

Now keep your fingers crossed that it lasts!! I have heard that this too can pass!!!

I appreciate your update. I too am trying to decide if I am too filled. I got a .25cc fill 10 days ago. This brings me to 8cc in an 11cc Realize band. At times I can eat solid Protein, steak, salmon, hamburger patty and other times like last night a pork chop was no go. I pb'd twice this week and have not done so since I was banded in August. On the other hand small amounts of food keep me full for 6-7 hours. I do know I am really having to remember to chew chew chew and eat slower than I have been.

I think I will give it another week and if any more pb's will get a small unfill.

Bonnie

lucky you after my 2nd fill total4.5cc in a 10 cc band i stared to be unable to eat and tolerate a lot of foods.i was ok with that because i had already given up rice,bread,pasta b/c of diabetes control.than with each sequencial fill of .2cc i would be able to tolerate liquids and after 2 days would go into a bout of emesis which usually would be on a friday night or saturday night getting no sleep, cold Water go down cold and come up cold.monday morning i would call my md. office and would have to go in for an unfill of .2cc.i went in 2wks ago and got the .3ccs that was taken out in oct. on that monday i called and let her know that i severally hungry,stomach growling,finally got in last thursday got an additional .2cc /finally making it up to 7.8cc after 2 years.again did well on liquids on thursday,friday, but true to form on saturday night the emesis started for 24/hours.scared to eat only sipping liquids only holding down for a few minutes,called my md.she did a total unfill.the first time.i now have to have an upper g.i.so afraid of gaining a pound.but the first 2 days felt good to eat have a complete meal,a whole piece of fried cat fish fries and bread and 2nd day a sandwich.but now i have to force myself too eat like my band is there.truly

afraid to gain the weight back.i still feel like i look like the back of a hippopotamus a$$.i now realize that i am addicticed too food.< /p>

I just saw your post or I would have responded sooner- sometimes the smallest adjustment can make the biggest difference. I would have suggested exactly what you ended up doing. If you stay too tight, for too long, you can really mess up your band and stomach. Especially if you're having to bring stuff back up. It can cause a slip, and/or for your band to be completely unfilled.

Being completely unfilled can be a slippery slope. I had my band completely emptied back in september, and I ended up gaining back roughly 30 lbs. I had gone so long not being able to eat, that I over did it once I could. It was a big no no. My band has been tempermental for forever it seems. I stayed good with a fill for like 3 months last year, then got tight all of a sudden, and it's been a game of fill/unfill since then. My current fill I've had for 9 weeks, and over the past week it's gotten progressively tighter, to the point I have to call the Dr tomorrow. Part of me dreads the thought of another unfill, but being this tight is no fun. I can keep liquids down, and such- but no matter what I eat, it gives me problems a couple hours later. And I have major acid reflux.

Thanks to all of you. It is VERY nice to hear I am not such an exception! I read these boards often and no one seems to have the problems I am having. Even my doctor says my case is somewhat unique to her. I know a few people personally who have gone through being banded. A couple successful and a couple not so much but none of them had my kind of problems. 1 year and 3 months into this and I am FINALLY getting restriction!! The unfill did help A LOT!! I am still able to eat what I feel is just enough. The scale is starting to go down too!!

Let this be a lesson to you. DO NOT LIVE WITH THE BAND IF IT IS TOO TIGHT BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID IT WILL RESULT IN WEIGHT GAIN!!!! It can mean the difference between misery and your green spot!!

Bonnie, Cassie and Sara I hope it all works out for you in the end! (Knock on wood) I am doing REALLY WELL with this NOW!! LOL

I just got my 4th fill a dew days ago and I think I am a little to full.. I am PB'ing even after I eat yogurt.. I am taking small bites and eating very slow... Even after I drink a few sips of Water I am burping... No Pbing.. I can drink Protein shakes just fine.. Did I read this correctly that you drank beer?? how is that possible? I miss beer and can't drink it.. I have a date (first one with this guy) I think I have to cancel... I have no idea how I am going to eat. Is this okay to PB all weekend or should I stick to Protein Shakes??

Thanks to all of you. It is VERY nice to hear I am not such an exception! I read these boards often and no one seems to have the problems I am having. Even my doctor says my case is somewhat unique to her. I know a few people personally who have gone through being banded. A couple successful and a couple not so much but none of them had my kind of problems. 1 year and 3 months into this and I am FINALLY getting restriction!! The unfill did help A LOT!! I am still able to eat what I feel is just enough. The scale is starting to go down too!!

Let this be a lesson to you. DO NOT LIVE WITH THE BAND IF IT IS TOO TIGHT BECAUSE YOU ARE AFRAID IT WILL RESULT IN WEIGHT GAIN!!!! It can mean the difference between misery and your green spot!!

Bonnie, Cassie and Sara I hope it all works out for you in the end! (Knock on wood) I am doing REALLY WELL with this NOW!! LOL

Must say I was a bit taken when no one responded to my pleas. BUT, I took matters into my own hands and decided to put down what happened for those who may read this looking for the same answer..

I decided to get a small unfill. I went to talk with my doctor and she agreed with me. She took out less than a quarter cc. I didn't think it would really make too much difference BUT it did!! Thursday is when I went to the doctors and since then I have had great restriction without getting sick or PBs!!! I just feel FULL when I have had enough. I can actually eat ONE egg and be satisfied!! REALLY! I am SO HAPPY!!!

Now keep your fingers crossed that it lasts!! I have heard that this too can pass!!!

Glad you got a good solution! Where you are in restriction is my goal! I have my 2nd fill May 16th. Now only have 4ccs. Thanks for your posts. Gail