Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello - 67 and Just Starting

Hello. I have my 1st appointment with my surgeon on April 11. I am excited to get started with my Lap-Band process and have found the information about menus in this forum to be very helpful. The idea of getting a medical alert Bracelet was new to me, but it makes sense.

I don't know when my banding will be yet, but I am looking for other women to learn from and talk with as this progresses.

Ellen

Hi Ellen - I am going to my 1st seminar tonight. Just at the very beginning of the process. I was so glad to find this board. I am 62 and thought I might be too old to have the lap band done. So I am thrilled to see other women over 60 on here. I'm ready to start my new journey. Not sure how long the process will take but it's nice to know someone who is just starting out too. I'll post more later.

Sharyn biggrin.gif

I am 62 years old, and happily had my lapband done in Oct. 2009. There are quite a few ladies and some gents who have had their lapband done in their late 50's and 60's. Welcome to the boards. We are pretty friendly but not a real active board anymore. I have met goal and am in maintenance. I will try to be helpful, but still stumble myself, at times. Karen

Hi Ellen - I am going to my 1st seminar tonight. Just at the very beginning of the process. I was so glad to find this board. I am 62 and thought I might be too old to have the lap band done. So I am thrilled to see other women over 60 on here. I'm ready to start my new journey. Not sure how long the process will take but it's nice to know someone who is just starting out too. I'll post more later.

Sharyn biggrin.gif

Hi Sharyn, After waiting expectantly for 3 weeks for my 1st meeting with the surgeon, the doc's office called yesterday to say the Doc had been called out of the office for Monday, so they postponed my appt. for 2 more weeks. I have been feeling bummed, but woke up this morning and decided to turn this additional wait into a positive by working on exercising more regularly and trying to eat slower and chew more. Practice for the future :rolleyes: Good luck and keep posting. Ellen

Hi all: I finally got approved after being denied. I had my date for last summer and then BCBS of NC denied me. I put together a strong appeal and just got approved.

I just have to repeat my cardio clearance and pulmonary clearance. I don't think it should be a problem So now instead of being 62 and getting the band I am 63. I hope I am making the right choice. I do have a concern with all the Protein we are supposed to have after the surgery. I know it can affect the kidneys to consume too much protein. I will ask my dr. about this. Good Luck to all of the baby boomers. I am planning on getting this done in July. Will keep you posted.

I just turned 69. Had my band put in 18 mo ago. Have lost 80 lbs but feel stuck at that weight. Need to loose about 40 more. I had the surgery done as I felt I would end up in a w/c if I did not do something. I am very happy I had it done. I know the reason I have not lost more is my fault. Snacks just sneak up on one if you do not watch it! Also, due to a fused ankle and fused back exercise is hard for me to do.

I feel much better and would advise it for others. I am off my BP pill, diabetic pill and have cut my Prilosec dose in half. I stay active even tho I cannot do much exercise. Yesterday and today I gardened for 4 hours each day. I could not have done that 18 mo ago!

I have had 6 fills and am fairly tight. Cannot eat dry meat or much bread. The comment someone had made about being tighter if dehydrated made sense and I had not thought of that before, but if is true.

Best of luck to you.

PS, I would love a buddy if anyone would like to have one!

Retired RN