Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interested in surgery but MANY questions-please help

Hi all- I am so happy to be here. I am very interested in getting lap band done. I have been fighting my weight for over 10 years now. I have PCOS (a fertility issue) and related to it I suffer from Insulin Resistance, hypertension and hypercholesterolemia. I also have significant Barrett's Esophagus AND my current BMI is 37 or 38. So i'm pretty sure that I qualify.

I'm told by multiple docs that losing 40-50 lbs would pretty much clear up ALL my issues and take me off of the 4 meds per day that I'm taking...SO...one of my dear friends had band surgery several years ago and did remarkable. sadly, she passed away last fall (from a diabetes related issue) but i think of how well she did and have hope.

I'm basically scared to death to have the surgery. I'll be honest, I'm a nurse so that makes it worse. I've had multiple surgeries, but none at my current size (I'm 5'2" and 216 lbs). I have images in my mind of me dying on the table. I know if I don't do something, my health is going to go down really severely in the next few years. I also know that my daughter cannot grow up without her mom. My husband is GREAT and very supportive, but honestly, he can lose pretty easily on his own. He went through a job issue last year and gained stress weight, but even though he as about 30 lbs to lose, he can do it on his own without intervention. he loses and gains pretty easily...

My questions are these: what is the typical wait time between first appt and actual surgery; if you feel like the whole fill thing is too aggressive, can you ask to back off a bit; i am TOTALLY addicted (yes, i mean ADDICTED) to mountain dew- is NO pop really the truth ( is flat diet pop ok a few sips per day?); will having the band interfere with the EGD's i have to get every couple years for my barretts; i'm scared of this 'band he** i hear about- what exactly is it; how long can i expect to be off work; do i really have to stop drinking all my Water? i drink 72 oz per day but i'm thinking that this will end???

basically, any info you can all give me will be extremely helpful. THANK YOU!!!!

Well.. my experience has been great. I had my initial apointment the first of April and was banded June 29th so about 2 months but it went sooooo fast. I have only had 3 fills in 9 months, I'm not big into the fill thing either (as long as I am losing weight I guess). I think most people agree that soda in a no go although I know people on here that drink it. They say it can stretch your pouch, others say it doesn't but can make you uncomfortable. Soda is just unhealthy no matter how you look at it (can't believe I just said that coming from a diet coke addict -funny how we change). I will admit I have had a few cocktails that have had soda in them, I try to stir a good portion of the fizz out of them, I had no discomfort from drinking them. I don't think I have experienced the "band Hell" and I was off work for 2 weeks but could have easily gone back after a week. As for the Water, I dont' know what you have heard but lots of water is a must. I drink about 100 oz a day. I would do it all again in a heartbeat! Good luck to you!

First off congrats! Make sure you do your research, that's what I did. For me it took about a year and a half from start to finish but I had many hiccups along the way. Be sure to check into your insurance and what they require if that's the way you're going. I am about 2 weeks out and can not drink 72oz's of Water a day but I'm sure in time I will. I was out of work for 2 weeks but like the previous poster I could of gone back in a week. If you asked me to do this all over I would in a heartbeat. Hope I was of some help!

Hello,

My questions are these: what is the typical wait time between first appt and actual surgery; if you feel like the whole fill thing is too aggressive, can you ask to back off a bit; i am TOTALLY addicted (yes, i mean ADDICTED) to mountain dew- is NO pop really the truth ( is flat diet pop ok a few sips per day?); will having the band interfere with the EGD's i have to get every couple years for my barretts; i'm scared of this 'band he** i hear about- what exactly is it; how long can i expect to be off work; do i really have to stop drinking all my Water? i drink 72 oz per day but i'm thinking that this will end???

I'm only 2 weeks post op tomorrow.....not sure if I can offer much insight, here goes: I went to a seminar in Aug 2010. I was banded on March 16. My Insurance (humana) required a 6 month diet w/ my family care doc. During the 6 months I could't gain any weight, my wait could not flucatuate. I could stay the same, or lose, so once I lost say 2 lbs, I had to keep it off from there on out.

I LOVE LOVE Some Diet Coke...it was hard saying good bye...but I haven't had anything soda wise for almost a month...I believe I've gotten use to, and to be honest I don't miss it.

I had to do liquids for 2 wks before surgery, THIS WAS SO HARD! Like it took me about 5 days to really get it together! I was like a crack head coming off the sauce! So hard for me....I read something on here once and she said. "If you want something you've never had, you must be willing to do something you've never done!" I thought that was so simple, yet so insightful, so I remind myself of that saying often.

During the surgery, I had henial hernia repair. That was where alot of my pain came from after surgery. I was off work for 6 days and am still kinda taking it easy. I took my pain meds as needed for the 1st 5 days. My port is on my left side which is the side I sleep on, so I still adjusting to sleeping.

After surgery I was on liquids for two days then full liquids for 5 days, then onto Mushies for a week. Tomorrow I can eat Tuna! So looking fwd to that!

I'm 31 weighed 266.8 when I went to the seminat/ this morning I weighed 246.0. I'm married have two boys 9 and 3. I'm young on Bp med, metformin for PCOS, I want to quit taking meds, be healthy and not be the "Fat mom" I had lots of anxiety about having the surgery, I found a great Surgeon, trusted him & prayed a lot. So far things have been great!

It was a VERY Big decision and my bottom line was I started WW when I was 14 and have always struggled w/ my weight, I wasn't able to get healthy on my own long term. I'm so glad I got the band, it really reminds me to Stop eating, when I'm comfortable, make healthy choices & makes me feel as though being healthy is truly a long term option for me!

Hope this long rant offers you some insight, If you have any questions just ask, I don't mind!

Kelli

Water is not off limits by any means; just drinking it (or any liquid) during or right after a meal. Soda pop that is flat is "ok" but carbonation can stretch the stomach pouch.

I didn't take any time off work.

My process took 2 1/2 months, with one insurance denial. To qualify with a BMI under 40 your insurance may want you to have a comorbidity of uncontrolled diabetes, uncontrolled high BP, or sleep apnea. (PCOS typically does not count, nor does insulin resistance).

i would recommend finding a local bariatric surgery seminar...they are GREAT!

The surgery is not that bad. It's a Band not By Pass, so you can always go back if your not happy. I think you will be.

Where I had mine done, Pop was off limits, no caffeine, and no gum chewing at all ! (IN CASE IT SHOULD SLIDE DOWN? HOW DO YOU GET IT UP?)

CARBINATION IS NOT GOOD FOR THE POUCH. i KNOW i TRIED SOME Root beer ONE TIME,,,, Boy WAS i SORRY.. i TOLD THE HUSBAND iF i EVER FORGET,,, tHE ANSWER IS NO FOR POP. i NEVER FORGOT ! ! !

CAFFEINE IS TO HARD ON THE STOMACH.

Now that's where I had it done, other people will tell you different. You will have to find out from your own surgeon.

Water is a good thing.

Your Wait time is up to your Ins.. So give them a call, or look it up on line.

As far as the Band, It is a good thing. But, you have to follow the rules, and understand IT TAKES TIME !

Fills are the most important part. It's one fill at a time. each time you get closer to losing your hunger beast.

With Protein, and Protein shakes, this is very doable because Protein can help kill the hunger, and fills kill the hunger.

So in time,,, this all works. But until you start getting fills, drink the protein (LIKE BEFORE OR AFTER SURGERY)

You won't be so hungry.

Hope this helps !

Shirley.