Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any pregnant Aussies?

Congratulations!! Fraid I cant be any more support than that despite being an Aussie, if I got pregnant again, I'd kill myself, lol. Three's enough for anybody.

I will say thought that I was 104kg when I got pregnant unintentionally with my third and was very concerned about getting ENORMOUS specially since I'd had pre-eclampsia in my first two pregnancies. I followed the Weight Watchers point system, didnt exercise because I had such foul reflux and heartburn and just plain couldnt, and I gained no weight that pregnancy - I ate very healthily though and gave birth to a bouncing 3.7 kg baby girl.

No return of my previous problems, however Eliza was breech and very oddly positioned high breech at that, so I experienced something I've never experienced in previous pregnancies - restricted stomach capacity. And it felt EXACTLY like being banded.

So, moral of the story is if you're heavy there is no need to gain weight during pregnancy to have a healthy baby if you eat very well and take your Vitamins. In fact when I got home from hospital I was about 94kg. That lasted about 2 weeks before I started gaining - breastfeeding makes me fat fat fat, in fact most of my excess weight was put on whilst breastfeeding, not during pregnancies, I had modest gains of 10kg in my first two pregnancies. I was always about 15kg overweight before I started having babies, and that blossomed into 30-40kg overweight after 3 children.

You'll be fine.

First off.... Congratulations!

I am not pregnant, but am trying really had to get there!

If you do not mind sharing your experence as a pregnant bandster, I am all ears.

Sam.

Sam & Jaqui, I was banded 1 1/2 yrs ago, got down to my lowest ever weight - 78 kgs about 6 months ago. Cruisin. Then, our circumstances didn't allow for me to travel to my surgeon in Darwin when I really needed a fill, and my 12mth check, so I slowly started gaining, really slowly i might add. July found us back in a position to get to Darwin but not time off work, so the earliest I could get an appointment for a fill was the first week in October. Then I found myself pregnant so my appointment was no longer for a fill, but for a check up and information about being pregnant with the band. As I had gained about 5kg by this time my surgeon didn't feel it necessary to empty my band. Consequently I have put on 9 kg since becoming pregnant (up to 92/93kg now). I am hoping to get that under control with exercise now that I am no longer sick all day everyday from the pregnancy. My surgeon assures me that any gain is ok even though I am freaking out, and has even written a letter to the fact for me to give to my clinicians with regard to my pregnancy.

For the record, I already have 3 kids! All prior to banding, #3 arriving close to 3 months before my op. I breastfed for about 18 mths with him. No drama.

I was a little worried about morning sickness as I suffer terribly from it, but everything seems ok. I guess if my band had slipped from all the vomitting I would surely know it by now. :)

You're on reasonable track though - I mean I know I said you dont have to gain and that's true, but a normal pregnancy gain is about 16kg and you'll lose that pretty effortlessly. You've got the right plan, just exercise and keep it under control. And of course, you werent 104kg at the start whereas I didnt need to gain, you probably do.

Oops, you've already got three little blessings. Can I correct myself - three's enough for me!! Hope that didnt offend, it was made in jest, lol.

Oops, you've already got three little blessings. Can I correct myself - three's enough for me!! Hope that didnt offend, it was made in jest, lol.

:) :Banane34: :rose: Didn't think of it that way at all!!:rose: :rose: :rose:

just a little up date. haven't hopped on the scales. but had been feeling lousy because I am getting bigger. My head isn't coping with this at all! DH tells me its nothing like what I perceive it to be and forced me to try my old clothes on just to prove it. Some pants are tight and unwearable, but I can fit into ALL size 16 (though tight on the belly but that is to be expected) tops and even some 14'S ! I am stunned. I bought some daggy around the house clothes on a trip to town and do you know what - I bought 18- 20's coz I thought thats where I am...:nervous :phanvan :phanvan

Just an update for anyone interested...

I am 30 wks now. Have put on 14kg so far which is average for any sort of pregnancy.

I would really love to chat with anyone else who is pregnant....:cry

Due date is officially 22may and I will have a c/section due to past complications on about the 8th May. Every thing seems to be going well. I am starting to feel a little restricted now as everything in my belly gets more squished up.:)

Cheers for now

jodie

Wow Jodi! You are doing really well! 14kg is a very modest gain for 30 weeks.

My son was born in may too. May is a good month to have babies!

Good luck hon, and do keep us posted.

Hi Jodie, I'm only 10wks pregnant, so i don't think i could be of any help to you. Sounds like you are doing well. Did you get your fill taken out or do you still have it all...Talk to you soon

Trish

central west, nsw

27/09/2005

start 136.5kg

now 123kg

goal 70kg

Just an update for anyone interested...

I am 30 wks now. Have put on 14kg so far which is average for any sort of pregnancy.

I would really love to chat with anyone else who is pregnant....:cry

Due date is officially 22may and I will have a c/section due to past complications on about the 8th May. Every thing seems to be going well. I am starting to feel a little restricted now as everything in my belly gets more squished up.:)

Cheers for now

jodie

lol....my bday is the 8th may:)

goodluck with your pregnancy.....not long to go now

i would like to have another one....but not quite sure if i can as i have already had 4 c-sections

Hi Jodie, I'm only 10wks pregnant, so i don't think i could be of any help to you. Sounds like you are doing well. Did you get your fill taken out or do you still have it all...Talk to you soon

Trish

Hi Trish,

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I haven't had any of my fill taken out. I have 3cc. I was starting to gain months before I got pregnant but was unable to get to my surgeon for an adjustment. By the time I got there I was pregnant!

Sammee and Fee,

May is a great month to have babies! I already have two others in May - 2nd and 7th! (thought the 7th was supposed to be in mid June so was a tad early) DH wants to try and convince obs. to deliver me on the 9th incase its a girl coz he has a nice name picked out. I said even if it was a girl and she was born on the 8th we could still call her that anyway. (It is his language name for 9 - Ibe pronounced eeba)

Anyway, not long to go now. One week left of work. PHEW! Am starting to get a little Fluid retention so just want to take it easy...:biggrin1:

Thanks for your comments.

Hi,

I was banded 6 years ago at 180kg. I was told that I would never fall pregnant, so living life happily with my husband, we never worried about contraception. But after losing 40kg, I fell pregnant.

Once all the Fluid was drained from my band, the heart burn went, and the rest of the pregnancy was a dream - although morning sickness was different - the band prevented any vomit from actually coming up, so I was just constantly dry reaching!!

Our daughter was born Feb 2002, and has been a great baby/child.

Downside...My band has never been in the right place since, and I have not lost any more weight. I am back around 154kg.

Sucks, but I am trying again....and I have a beautiful daughter that we could have never had before I lost the weight.

Hi

I am post op 6 weeks and just found out I am pregnant. I am a bit concerned as they say to wait for a year and now i dont know if I will even have a fill - as I haven't had one yet. :scared: How long did you have the band in before falling pregnant?

I'm also an aussie! :(

Lynda