Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc sais no fill if loosing weight...

hmmm...... not sure what you mean with this one, but it doesn't sound too productive dry.gif

LOL. Depends on how OP takes such advice. There really is nothing wrong with eating what you want, but this early on in the journey I'd definitely say it's important to be a bit more strict with certain food choices. However, once you get closer to goal or at goal, I see nothing wrong with getting a little lax, especially if the food you eat fits within your calorie range. Did I ever think I'd be eating Cinnamon crunch, Reeses, or White chocolate Peanut Butter? Nope! But it fits within my caloric/nutritional needs, so why not.

OP I'd say try to go back and get a fill. Life with the band should not be about dieting or having to deal with endless hunger. Maybe find another doctor if he refuses. You/your insurance paid for the band with intentions of it being filled to a level of restriction that works for you. I'd gladly move on if my surgeon ever denied me a fill, especially if I was complaining of hunger. But at least you are losing and not gaining.

hmmm...... not sure what you mean with this one, but it doesn't sound too productive dry.gif

What I mean is: let the 'band' do its job. I bet if you eat too much, or too fast, you'll know it. If not and u gain a few #s, then the Dr. will give you a fill. Don't be too hard on yourself.

Go back to your doctor and tell them that that obviously misunderstand the purpose of the band and demand a fill. According to the band manufacturers, *HUNGER* is the main reason for getting a fill in the band. The function of the band is to put enough pressure on the vagus nerves to stop the stomach from producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone after a reasonable meal. Obviously, your band needs more fill to do that.

I swear...we have to pass a driver's test to get a license. They should make some of these idiot doctors pass a competency test so they actually understand how the band works.

Yea, I think a lot of patients too think it's going to physically stop them from eating, then the doctors end up overfilling them... but it's supposed to control hunger! I mean yes, if you are losing TONS of weight w/o a fill I can understand not giving one.

To the poster:

You can be filled and eat a variety of food as well, my band is half full and don't have issues with any type of food. Though, a lot of people aren't so lucky. I would say make sure you are eating correctly and ENOUGH food. Some people are so diligent at first they are eating like nothing! Make sure you are eating a normal 1000-1200 calorie diet. Because the normal 1-2lb a week weight loss isn't so crazy that you shouldn't get a fill... if you are losing like 5-10lbs a week i can see why he'd say that.

Shoot my doctor is chasing me with the needle , banded Jan 28th down 45 pounds , has my first fill on march 12th got 3cc , had my 2nd today 2 weeks apart , he wanted to give me another 3cc , I ask him if I am losing weight why do I need another 3cc , he just gave me general answer , that's what we do till you get restriction , so I lied and said I have some so I got 2cc today and another appt 2 weeks from now for another fill , I just feel like they are rushing it to much

Shoot my doctor is chasing me with the needle , banded Jan 28th down 45 pounds , has my first fill on march 12th got 3cc , had my 2nd today 2 weeks apart , he wanted to give me another 3cc , I ask him if I am losing weight why do I need another 3cc , he just gave me general answer , that's what we do till you get restriction , so I lied and said I have some so I got 2cc today and another appt 2 weeks from now for another fill , I just feel like they are rushing it to much

If you feel like you don't need a fill, I would tell the doctor you don't want one. My doctor pretty much asks me how I'm feeling and if I say I think I need a fill, I get one. At my last appointment I was giving 1 cc (which brought me up to 8 cc's total, since being banded in October) and it was too much. A few days later I went in for a slight unfill and since then I've felt pretty good. I think I've finally got to my "sweet spot"

I'm with Eelfi. You should be able to go to your fill dr and say "I'm losing weight and that's great, however, I'm eating my allotted amount of food (some Drs it 1 cup other it's 3 oz protien then veggies then starches...whatever your plan is) and I'm hungry after 1,2, or3 hours (whichever it is) and I'm making it through on sheet willpower...I'm hanging on for dear life here (call it whiteknuckling) if they don't give you a fill after that I would think twice about continuing there.

Having said all that...I respect why they are so conservative. I recently wa fille too much and had awful acid reflux and had to go for a slight un-fill. There are what they call fill junkies" out there and perhaps they are simply testing you a bit.

Go back and assert yourself...let us know how that goes.

*disclaimer: fill junkies is something I heard from my fill nurse and is not intended to describe impart, or in full anyone on this forum

What I mean is: let the 'band' do its job. I bet if you eat too much, or too fast, you'll know it. If not and u gain a few #s, then the Dr. will give you a fill. Don't be too hard on yourself.

The band isn't supposed to keep you from eating too much.

The band is supposed to dim your hunger so that after eating your allotted portions, you are satisfied for a period of time.. anywhere from 3 to 5 hours.

To the OP:

I'd suggest taking your food diary in with you to your next appt. Show the doctor/nurse (whoever you see) what you are eating and how often. EVEN IF you are losing weight, if you are struggling with hunger, you need a fill.

I understand, I had lost 20lbs at my first 6 week check, the nurse didn't want to fill me, but I told her I was really struggling and what I was doing to get through the times between meals and she gave in and gave me 1cc. That's been my largest fill ever. Even if they give you a tiny fill, they work and work well.

The lapband.com site has an explanation of the yellow, green & red zones. If your doctor doesn't use that guide, maybe ask about it? Could even print it off and take it in if you're comfortable with that.

Best of luck to you.

The band isn't supposed to keep you from eating too much.

I'm not sure about what you mean........ My band keeps me from eating too much. The pouch only holds a very small portion of food. I simply can not over eat.