Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I the fattest one here?

My BMI was 78.8 when i started and it's now 59.2.

Like Mis73 said, don't let anyone tell you the band won't help you. I have a long way to go but I am living proof this does work as long as you understand the band doesn't do it all alone. It is merely a tool and for it to work you have to make a commitment and learn how to work with it.

Also wanted to add that I know everyone is different and loses in a different way. Typically larger folks like myself tend to lose at a more rapid pace in the beginning.

So to give you an idea of how it has gone for me: I lost 38lbs on a 6 month mandatory preop diet. It was in the middle of the holiday season 2011 so I lost a month and half of losing because I chose to enjoy the holidays. I did not go crazy eating and I managed to maintain. So I pretty much lost nothing mid way through November and all the way to Jan 1. I got back at it and started slowly losing and the day I was approved for Surgery 3/30/12 I was down 38lbs. I had surgery on 4/16 and as of yesterday I have lost an additional 84 pounds. I did that without hardly any exercise. I got a little more active but not like going to a gym or anything. I know the weight would drop faster if I got more active and had an actual work out routine. I guess I am just not there yet.

Sorry, I got long winded but my point is it does work. Follow Doctors guidelines and get in the zone, Get the proper band adjustments and when your appetite disappears you can lose the weight. It doesn't matter if you're 600 or 400 or less. Start the process and get motivated. Find support meetings to pump you up and boost your drive and ambition then things will start to happen.

Remember though where ever your starting point is....you didn't get there overnight and the weight will not come off overnight.

I'll get off my soapbox now!!

i started at 400 when i started the process the day of surgery i was down 12 lbs and then a week after surgery i lost 30 lbs to date i am a year and a half out and down 106 lbs you can do it! it does work for us bigger people too

Thank you to all the bandsters who started with high initial weights and are sharing their success stories here.

Because we are just at the beginning of this process,,it is really inspiring to hear these stories.

I weighed 377 pounds I am 5'9" my BMI was 55

Today I weighed 168... I have a normal BMI and I have lost 209 lbs. I would like to lose 18 more pounds.

I believe the band works for people of all sizes.

So far I'm getting all my appointments to get cardiac clearance and pulmonary clearance. Then I start with the Dr prescribed diet. The hardest thing so far I've been working on getting used to all the chewing. My jaws are killing me!! LOL I really never realized how fast I woof food down being so distracted with TV my kids work etc. But so far I'm getting the hang of it and actually eating less just from taking my time. But Lord knows just eating slow wont get me to my goal alone but its a start.

The hardest thing so far I've been working on getting used to all the chewing. My jaws are killing me!! LOL I really never realized how fast I woof food down being so distracted with TV my kids work etc. But so far I'm getting the hang of it and actually eating less just from taking my time. But Lord knows just eating slow wont get me to my goal alone but its a start.

This is still a problem for me at times at 5 months post op. I had to stop extra circular activities at meal times because I would get distracted and sometimes cause a stuck episode. Not pleasant at all.

guess in the scheme of things, taking time out for ourselves, eating a meal (without whoofing it down) is hard to do. it took me a while but i do now take 20-25 min to eat my 1 cup of food. def something to get use too.

I just recently got banded and started per op at 315 by surgery I was 298, though I'm not a BMW of 60 I thought of a person in my line of business that was. When I met her she had already gotten to her goal which was about 170 I'd guess just looking at her but she use to be close to the 400,s

With that being said she was easily close to or over the 60 him and was approved, of course I don't know if she had to lose weight ahead of time or not

i just read through most of the thread on 'what BMI is too large to be banded" and I have to say, while there were some encouraging posts in there, I only saw posts from people who had like a BMI of 55 or so. I have a BMI of more than 60. My handy BMI wheel they gave me doesn't go past 60.....anyway, RNY and the sleeve are NOT an option for me. I mentally just can't cut something up. The band seems more my style. I like the idea of it being reversible if weight loss doesn't happen...but I am afraid that I am too large and it's not going to work for me at all.

I haven't yet had my consult, that isn't happening until mid-April, but I was hoping that there were other people out there who not only had more than just 200 pounds to lose but were successful at keeping some of it off. I am not looking to get skinny. i would be the happiest person on the earth if i weighted 250-275 pounds. right now, that seems like a far off dream....

also, i am not interested in losing weight really super fast, i know this is a slow and steady wins the race kinda thing, so i am mentally prepared. I am more curious if i could feel restriction at my size at all.

anyway, just thought i would ask. thanks in advance for your calming words of wisdom

I'm going through the banding process now myself, I have a BMI of 60 and I don't have to lose any extra weight to be banded. I have to go to the nutritonist for three months while keeping track of my food, then I meet with the doctor, one support group meeting before surgery and 8 afte, I am looking forward to being able to wear shorts lol, I wish u luck. Check with your insurance and doctor to see what you qualify for, also look on youtube for over 200lbs succes stories I look at a few every night and I can not weight to be one of them!!!