Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled but now have to do a stress test?

I am scheduled for surgery finally a week from tomorrow and so excited. I went for my pre-op appointment today and mentioned that some doctors have noticed that I have PVC's (or irregular heartbeats) on an EKG. I just had gallbladder removal surgery 6 months ago and uterine surgery 6 months before that and I had no problems. Yet, my surgeon wants me to do a stress test where you run on the treadmill. Does this mean my surgery may be cancelled pending the results? Has anyone else had to do this?

I am scheduled for surgery finally a week from tomorrow and so excited. I went for my pre-op appointment today and mentioned that some doctors have noticed that I have PVC's (or irregular heartbeats) on an EKG. I just had gallbladder removal surgery 6 months ago and uterine surgery 6 months before that and I had no problems. Yet, my surgeon wants me to do a stress test where you run on the treadmill. Does this mean my surgery may be cancelled pending the results? Has anyone else had to do this?

just had the same thing happen. had my pre-op EKG, etc, two weeks prior to surgery (3/9) and it was abnormal. i was referred to the cardiologist for cardiac clearance. similar to you, irregular heartbeat --- extra in my case. had to do a second EKG, ultrasound and stress test. just got word this morning (less than 48 hours before surgery) that i was cleared. if they aren't able to get your results, or if testing shows deeper issues with your heart, your surgery would most definitely be postponed. they can't open themselves --- or more importantly, YOU --- up to any complications in surgery without knowing all is okay. he hope for the best and keep on everyone to make sure they understand that your surgery is next week and that things need to be done in an extremely TIMELY manner. best of luck!

I am a nurse that also has PVC's and I had an episode 3 years ago that scared me to death, basically I got sick on my elliptical at home and my BP shot up sky high, with extreme sweating and dizziness. Long story short I was treated with atenolol for 1 year re checked with an EKG and stress test. The EKG still showed "abnormal", but the stress test was good, so my Cardiologist took me off the atenolol and I have had no more problems. Which brings me to the pre-op testing. I told all this to my WL surgeon and I had to f/u with my Cardiologist and he did another stress/echo. It came back fine even though my EKG still shows abnormal. He gave me medical clearance and said "lots of people have abnormal EKG's and are OK".

I would not worry too much, the good news is you should not have to wait more then one day for your test results!

Good luck and let us know!!

Joleen

Thanks so much for the insight! They are getting me in on a Friday and my surgery is on Tuesday so I hope the results come back soon. I just want to know as soon as possible to be able to focus on what I need to do! I am hoping for a quick answer!

Good luck, hope it all works out but I'm sure it will!

on Mar 1 they did my pre-op and ended up doing the nuclear stress test,,, called the next day and said there was an abnormality and they wanted to do a cardiac cath before surgical clearance,,, went for that on Tuesday the 8th and they told me if they had to do a stent it would put my surgery back 4 weeks,,,but Hallelujah!!!! no blockages, and I am having surgert on the 15th!!!! Gonna say prayers that you have a good outcome and can have your surgery on time,,,

I just had a stress test done yesterday and a cardiologist was right in the room the entire time. At the end he said, you passed and you should have no problems unless I see issues when I review further. I have a follow up appointment on the 22nd for the final results. He said my heart muscles did everything they were suppose to do, so I'm sure you will be able to get your results before your surgery. Best of luck!!

Had my stress test today and everything was great! Cleared for surgery. Just PVC's like I have always had my whole life!

Same for me. I had my stress test last week, and a cardiologist was there the entire time. He let me know immediately that I was fine and cleared for surgery. I have a defibrillator implanted, and they were just covering their asses I suppose! At any rate.. it's all good!

And you only have to walk on that treadmill.. they are just trying to get your heart rate up to a certain spot.. and then they want to take pictures while it's still up there to make sure your heart muscles are doing what they are supposed to be doing!

Had my stress test today and everything was great! Cleared for surgery. Just PVC's like I have always had my whole life!

Congrats!!!

on Mar 1 they did my pre-op and ended up doing the nuclear stress test,,, called the next day and said there was an abnormality and they wanted to do a cardiac cath before surgical clearance,,, went for that on Tuesday the 8th and they told me if they had to do a stent it would put my surgery back 4 weeks,,,but Hallelujah!!!! no blockages, and I am having surgert on the 15th!!!! Gonna say prayers that you have a good outcome and can have your surgery on time,,,

I did a EKG, Echo Cardiogram, then I just did a PET Stress test yesterday. The cardiologists said the PET Stress "May" have shown some blockage. Now I have a Cardiac Cath on Monday. I hope they do not find anything and that it does not delay my surgery. Scheduled for 21st!! Keep your fingers crossed.

I had an abnormal EKG and was told I had to have a cardioligist clear me for my surgery. Now I am scheduled for a stress test and ekocardiogram. I can't get this done until March 31st then will have to see what the DR says. So yes I had to move my surgery date out! :(

I did a EKG, Echo Cardiogram, then I just did a PET Stress test yesterday. The cardiologists said the PET Stress "May" have shown some blockage. Now I have a Cardiac Cath on Monday. I hope they do not find anything and that it does not delay my surgery. Scheduled for 21st!! Keep your fingers crossed.

I was really concerned when I had to do mine,,,but things went well,,, and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you for sure!!! One good thing is that the dr can say,,, "I didn't find any blockages" and that was music to my ears!

Good luck!!!

No blockages!! Onward toward the 21st for surgery date! Thanks!!

I was really concerned when I had to do mine,,,but things went well,,, and I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you for sure!!! One good thing is that the dr can say,,, "I didn't find any blockages" and that was music to my ears!

Good luck!!!

they told me I had an abnormal EKG a day before the surgery but then they were able to get me in to see the doc the same day. So, my surgery was done on time ( excluding 5 hours of waiting )