Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please tell me it gets better...

Just got banded Feb 28th. I am down almost 15 lbs from surgery feeling very weak. Still not used to my band. I just feel lost right now like maybe I made a poor choice. How long did it take for you to feel back to somwhat normal again? I finally weened myself off the pain meds, slept horrible last night without them but I have to go back to work tomorrow and felt I needed to try and clear my head. Band feels extra tight today.... is it possible that your stomach wells in your sleep? thanks for any word of wisdom, I just need to know that there is an end to the way I am feeling right now.

I went back to work on day 10, but I work on a computer from home. I was fatigued for a while. There were days that I would have to lay down for a short nap so it was a good thing I worked from home. I would take liquid tylenol and take it every 4 hours for now if you are in so much pain you can't sleep.< /p>

I absolutely does get better. You had surgery combined with a lack of calories and nutrients. It works against you for a bit. I was probably still napping Day 10 after surgery. Now I feel good and have more energy than before.

I would say I felt completely back to normal about two weeks after surgery.

I am 5 weeks post op. It does get better. I remember feeling the same way you do. It is a huge change for your body and you have to learn everything over again. I am not diabetic and I had trouble with my blood sugar getting to low. I had a 1/2 cup of orange juice in the morning and a 1/2 cup at night. Just for some Vitamin C and to help with the sugars. I noticed a big difference in a couple days cause my body was able to regulate itself again. It is such a long process. All you want is that "Normal feeling" you just have to adjust to your new "Normal." I am fortunate to be a stay at home mom and I didn't have to worry about going back to work. I totally feel for you. Just give it time and if you can take more time off work then it might be a good idea to give your body more time to heal. I was one of the "lucky ones" and had to stay on a liquid diet for 4 weeks post op cause my stomach wasn't healing as fast as others. Everyone is different and some just need a little more time. But the best of luck to you!!! It does get better!!!!!

Yes, it will get better, just take it easy. I have always had a very hard time eating in the morning because my band is so much tighter in the morning then it is later in the day. My dr. said that is totally normal. Good luck to you!

Yes, Yes, Yes! You are going to feel better!!! OMG I remember thinking wth have I done to myself. I hurt and I was nauseous and felt awful. 2 to2 1/2 weeks later and I was feeling oh so much better. I was banded on 2 8 11 and now, I feel great! (hungry) but will get my first fill in 2 weeks. I can work out......Just please know that you will feel like you again soon! (())

It definitely gets better. I was feeling really good by a week after surgery, 10 days post-op I returned to the gym (only doing the treadmill and exercise bike).

I think you're probably at the "post-op discomfort stage". yes, it will get better. Not everyone "bounces back overnight" and yes, very normal for the band to feel tighter first thing in the morning. Try some warm tea or coffee (if allowed) or even hot Water with lemon (sounds awful, but is actually pretty good).

Stages of Banding

by Jessie Ahroni

Stages of Banding

Discovering the Band

Wondering if this is for me

Investigation

Doing serious research

Joining a support group

Getting hopeful

Finding a doctor

Shock at the price

Deciding to do it

Making the arrangements

Wondering if you made the right decision

Getting nervous

Going ahead with it

Waking up and wondering what the hell you did to yourself.

Post-op discomfort

Month of liquids- not being able to strictly adhere

Wondering if you've been scammed again

Seeing a little success

Getting your first fill

Changing your eating habits

Seeing more success

Getting second fill

Really losing

Seriously changing your eating habits

Being totally euphoric about your weight loss

Changing your thinking about eating

Wanting to tell every fat person you meet about the band

Realizing you really can't eat

Worrying about nutrition

Learning to eat healthy and wise

Finding other ways to meet your emotional needs

Realizing it takes a long time to lose 100lbs

Trudging along

My clothes are too big

Buying new clothes

Oops, I bought too much too soon...now these are too big

Buying more clothes

Getting near goal

Enjoying all the compliments

Feeling successful

Getting aggressive

Not taking crap from anybody

Realizing you can be assertive without steam rolling everybody

Finding balance

Wondering what comes next

**There are other stages and everybody does not go through them in the same order or even go through all the stages. Some people might

have stages to add....and there is some looping back and forth. But

these are common stages that Bandsters go through.

That's how healing from any surgery feels! You will be fine, don't worry :)

r u drinking your Protein shakes?

Just got banded Feb 28th. I am down almost 15 lbs from surgery feeling very weak. Still not used to my band. I just feel lost right now like maybe I made a poor choice. How long did it take for you to feel back to somwhat normal again? I finally weened myself off the pain meds, slept horrible last night without them but I have to go back to work tomorrow and felt I needed to try and clear my head. Band feels extra tight today.... is it possible that your stomach wells in your sleep? thanks for any word of wisdom, I just need to know that there is an end to the way I am feeling right now.

r u drinking your Protein shakes?

She may not have been required to drink Protein Shakes. My surgeon didn't require them at all, neither pre nor post op.

I was banded 3 days before you and Yes Yes Yes I felt the same way...I even ended up taking 2 extra days of from work. I think it's a lot to process. For the most part I am feeling better. I am even exercising (walking) some. I still have ups and downs and times when I am just plain warn out. That being said, when I do have energy it is at a higher level than I have seen in ages!

Hang in there it's going to get better!!!

I was banded on 2/28 as well. I know everybody doesn't bounce back the same but I do see that everyday gets better, maybe not a lot, but there is a difference. The one thing that I heard from other banders is to put on a girdle, it tucks everything in and I stopped feeling that tearing pain. I went back to work last Wednesday, really sore and still on pain meds. I HAD to work through the pain. I have one of the jobs where you need to be seen even if you do anything. I am not hungry, some I think is due to the meds. My surgeon and dietician said raise your Protein level before surgery and it will be easier to get back on your feet. It is probably a good idea to get a good Protein Shake and start chugging.

Ogh yes ! It will get better. Are you taking any kind of liquid Vitamins at all? You will need to be on some type of Vitamin. Where I was banded we all are on FLINTSTONE chewable COMPLETE. I do about 4 a day to keep peppy. When I was in your shape, they told me to dissolve 3 or 4 of them in 2 or 3 ounces of Water, all the same flavor though! It's just like drinking Water, but helps in the long run. Those Vitamins really work,, they contain CHOLINE. We are on them for the rest of our life. That's any Bariatric Patient. where I am Banded from.

Hope you feel better.

Shirley.

10/31/2006

Henry Ford Hospital "CENTER OF EXCELLENCE"

Michigan

Thank you!!! You guys have really made me feel better. I really appreciate being able to come here and get such great support and advice. I did end up going back to work today and it wasn't so bad, just like ripping off a bandaid =). I did leave a little early I was just so drained by 3pm. My coworkers were on their best behavior.

I am doing better emotionally too. I didnt realize how much of an emotional connection I have with food.... (I do have a therapist just dont have an appointment again until end of march)... definitely something I am working on. I still have to believe this was/is the right choice for me.

I appreciate each and every one of your replies. Its so great to know I am not alone.:rolleyes: