Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone!

I was watching the news about 3 weeks ago and heard a story of a woman who eats a raw food diet. She doesnt eat cooked food at all :o . So I did some research on this type of eating. I had no idea eating raw even existed. Is there anyone here who has heard of it or knows anyone, or has erven tried it? I did more research and bought a good book on it and im now on day 2 of it. Im doing a 30 day trial to see what its like and how it will affect me health and weight wise. Theres ALOT :blink: to it, and the amounts are a little larger and take longer to eat but so far so good. Alot of legumes, nuts, seeds, fruit and veges, and raw dairy, which needs ot be consumed quickly or it will spoil. Hoping the food allergies I struggle with on a daily basis will subside a little. Everythings organic and as fresh as I can get it.

Any input on this would be appreciated. Good or bad,,,I want it all! LOL :P

I've heard about it. Totally an LA thing, they have raw food restaurants here. Haha "spoiling quickly" is a bandsters worst enemy, takes me like a week to go through a bag of anything ahha.

I just don't think it's a realistic lifestyle...

Thats why its a 30 day trial,,:D lol. I told my hubby I didnt think I could live like that unless I was desserted on a island and had no choice :blink: . I like ot think of it as a ,,,,hmmmmm, lets say, detox :mellow: ...lol. Im as far from LA as they get, im in maine! I figure if it jump starts my weight loss, again, then it would be worth it. So onto day 3! Although I just made a mousse with, avocado, carob, vanilla bean, raw milk, dates and a little raw stevia,,,that was waaaaay to good with a banana! OMG!

Thanks for the input :)

I've heard of people feeding their pets a raw diet and personally I would not, raw meat, yeah that is just digusting, and there are so many things you can get from consuming raw meats and stuff. So would I ever do it, hell no

I have a raw food cookbook and everything I've tried from it has been delicious. Takes a little more pre planning etc but I did enjoy the foods I did try.

The raw food diet I'm familiar with does not include meats. It's a vegetarian diet. I was a bit enamored of this a couple years ago and managed to last about a month during the summer. I had to quit because I started having intestinal issues...which apparently is not uncommon for people who stay on this.

The only problems I see at first glance is that raw vegetables, unless made into smoothies (and now you're drinking your meals again), can be a problem with the band once you get closer to your sweet spot. I didn't hit my sweet spot until about 7cc but raw vegies became a thing of the past for me at around 4cc.

Also, if you have any kind of blood sugar problem, the fruit may cause blood sugar swings which will lead to cravings and hunger.

I'm not sure how you'd get your Protein in. I know vegetarians get it by combining things like Beans and rice and tofu (which are all cooked), but I don't know where you'd get it from fruits and vegetables.

YMMV.

Good Morning!!!!!

Scoobie you said it when you mentioned "a little more planning".

Jess just for the record I am not eating , nor could I ever eat, raw meat :huh: . YUK, I am in total agreement on that part. I am eating raw cheese and raw milk. I just buy small amounts and use it quickly.

Day one was Ok. Although it took me 3 hours to consume 2 cups of fruit and nuts all chopped up,,,but i wasnt hungry! LOL. I was concerened that due to the low amount of calories in the fruit that it would make it hard to get my calories in. I like to stay arounf 1200. I am coming in short, around 1000. But im not hungry. day 1 I was 203.5 lbs.

Day 2 wasnt too bad either, I find my hardest time is in the afternoon, and I find I miss textures more than flavor. OMG the amount of times I hit the bathroom, seemes like someone turned on a Water faucet. Again my calories were around 1100. So im close to my 1200 goal. Im still able to get quite a bit of Protein in too as long as I include dark green veges, nuts and the milk. day 2 I was 201.5 lbs.

Day 3, I had a Breakfast drink. It was so thick I had to go back and put Water in so I could drink it and not use a spoon. It was made with raw milk, banana, strawberries, green powder, ice cubes water and raw stevia. Day 3 weight was 200 lbs, getting all the excess Fluid out I would say.

I also read about the pet food raw recipes too. Thats expensive. So I tihnk they have to keep to the dogg food diet for a bit longer.

Thanks for the input!

I had an ex-girlfriend 15-20 years ago that was very into the raw food diet. She studied under Ann Wigmore. It was all about wheat grass, rejuvelac etc..

My ex was kind of a nut with a lot of food issues bordering on eating disorders.

I was a vegetarian (not raw food) for 6 years or so. I put on weight as I seemed to have gained a growing fondness for Pasta, bread and other carbs which were my mental replacement for Protein. Once I started eating meat again I was even worse as then I just added a bunch of sausage into my giant bowl of Pasta. That went well with a loaf of Italian bread. Not a very healthy way to live.

With regard to the raw food diet I don't think it is very consistent with the band. It can be very hard on the digestive system as we depend upon cooking to help us properly break down food. With the band you also need to get the essential Proteins while eating only a limited amount of food. That would be VERY hard to achieve on a raw food diet.

Hopefully the surgeons office where you were banded has a nutritionist on staff that works closely with you. I know mine does. You may want to consult with them to get better advice.

Best of Luck to you :)

I'm not sure this is a great idea for a long-term diet plan, and dairy is very bad for you :( But awesome if it's doing the job for you now!

I'm not sure this is a great idea for a long-term diet plan, and dairy is very bad for you :( But awesome if it's doing the job for you now!

Hi there,

Why is dairy bad for you? I'm vegetarian and use organic humane dairy products as a source of Protein. I've always known things like cottage cheese to be good sources of nutrition and Protein.< /p>

Just wondering if I am missing something here...

Thats why its a 30 day trial,,:D lol. I told my hubby I didnt think I could live like that unless I was desserted on a island and had no choice :blink: . I like ot think of it as a ,,,,hmmmmm, lets say, detox :mellow: ...lol. Im as far from LA as they get, im in maine! I figure if it jump starts my weight loss, again, then it would be worth it. So onto day 3! Although I just made a mousse with, avocado, carob, vanilla bean, raw milk, dates and a little raw stevia,,,that was waaaaay to good with a banana! OMG!

Thanks for the input :)

I buy Raw foods on occasion but couldn't ever stick to 100% raw. I wish that we could get raw milk here but only found raw goat milk. My son and husband loved it but I couldnt ever get used to the taste. I don't agree that dairy is bad for us, but as close as we can get to the natural state of things the better. I will always choose 2% or whole milk, over Skim milk. Did you know that those who are lactose intolerant can drink raw milk? The lactose is highest in the skim milk. My husband has did well on the Caveman diet, but I think that each of us has to find what works for us.