Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band or Realize Band - Why did you choose yours?

I've been researching till I'm blue in the face and now just want opinions. I'm sure this question is on here somewhere but I can't find it.

I'm leaning toward the Realize but now am confused because I'm researching too much. Of course I want my surgeons opinion, that is a no-brainer but if I'm given a choice, how do you choose.

Each has good things? Things I like about Realize....it is made of softer material which I understand is to assist in complications of erosion? It is the lowest port, which I love. It is supposedly the widest band which assists in the slippage issue. There are less complications with the Realize over Lap? I like the idea of how it locks into the muscle. Things I don't like and why I think about Lap Band...there are kink issues with Realize, and when it is filled, it almost shapes a triangle shape vs. a smooth round shape....which I would think be better contact with your stomach? Initial testing of the Realize-C shows lesser weight loss??? Less fills required with Realize, but if I only get the 9 cc band, is this going to give me enough restriction?

Why did you choose your Realize or Lap Band? I know this is my decision with input of my surgeon but this is a big decision. LOw Profile port is huge on my list of Pros however...I know Lap has a low profile and I'd ask for that!

I didn't choose; I let my surgeon do so. I have the Lapband.

My surgeon only does the Lap Band but that is what I preferred. I read something about how the Lap Band fills uniformly all the way around but the Realize band doesn't so I thought maybe the Lap Band would be a better choice.

I didn't have a choice. My doctor likes the Realize Band so that is what I got. I like it as well, but of course, I have never had any experience with the Lap Band.

My surgeon only uses the lapband. I have been happy with my surgery, recovery and continued progress.

Does your surgeon use both bands?

Joan

My doctor uses the Realize band so that's what I have. I did my research on both bands and didn't really have a preference.

I didn't choose, I just chose my surgeon. I have a lapband.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Everything is a million times different than you think after you have surgery.. like the way it functions, and how it feels. The problems are pretty rare, as far a erosion and all that. The last thing I'd worry about is if you are going to get enough restriction, it's different for everyone, and regardless you do most of the work, the band just helps with hunger. I would just make sure you chose a well qualified surgeon at a center of excellence, don't worry about which band.

My surgeon has more experience with the lapband and the just came out with a new lower profile port a few months ago. Also, my port is not attached to anything so less post op pain and less likely to flip as it has nothing to flip on. If attached to your muscle and it starts to detach then it is more likely to flip on the portion still attached & you don't have that option with realize....so that is why I chose lapband and 3 mths out no problems & very happy. Best of luck!

My surgeon has more experience with the lapband and the just came out with a new lower profile port a few months ago. Also, my port is not attached to anything so less post op pain and less likely to flip as it has nothing to flip on. If attached to your muscle and it starts to detach then it is more likely to flip on the portion still attached & you don't have that option with realize....so that is why I chose lapband and 3 mths out no problems & very happy. Best of luck!

Mountaingirl - what do you mean it isn't attached to anything? How does it stay in place? I am only asking becuase I don't understand - so pardon my ignorance :)

I have the Realize band as well, but like most others here even though I checked out both, at the end of the day the surgeon that I I went with only used the Realize Band. So far no issues for me - I just had my first adjustment today (4cc's in) and I feel awesome.

I have to say, I am kind of shocked about how many people on this thread are Realize banders! I was beginning to the think I was the maverick! (And no, not a McCain reference!) hahaha

My surgeon does both bands... he decides when he is in the operating room and views the contour of the patients stomach (some bands are fatter than others, so some people do better with one type and others with the other type). I have the 11cc Realize band... so far so good. I dont think you have the tools (ie. you dont know what your stomach looks like) to determine - I would leave it to your doctor.

I have a Realize band. I think it's just what my surgeon normally uses.