Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of Failure

nikko68
Sign in to follow this  

Hi to all of you. I am a newbie to the site and still in the process of considering getting banded in Mexico. I have several concerns both on the procedure and the mental aspects of all of this. While I am considered obese I do not have the amount of weight to lose that some of you do however I am sick and tired of the yo-yo effect of losing then gaining. I would love to lose 60-70 lbs and keep it off. I know nutrition and how to eat yet can not stick to a regimented diet plan. Love to workout yet I am still overweight heading to (mo). My questions are as follows.

1. Since I have knowledge and I exercise why should I think I will be able to control myself after the band. My bad habits are record speeds of eating and huge portions. I do pretty well with choices.

2. How do I break these bad habits?

3. Is Gerd/ acid reflux a lifestyle after banding?

4. Is finding a doctor for fills difficult in Cleveland Ohio? Support Groups?

Any suggestion or advice would be helpful

The band will definately help you with the huge portions and eating fast. For me, after I finally reached good restriction there is no way I can overeat. It's a great feeling to just be satisfied and not stuffed. The band is just a tool and it takes time to get used to it and for it to work for you. Make sure you do your research before getting banded. This site is a great place to ask questions and read about other people experience. For me, it's been the best decision I have made in regards to my weight loss. Good luck!

I was required to have a psych eval before my papers were sent to the insurance company for approval. I suggest maybe making an appointment with a psychiatrist to take about breaking your bad habits and find out what the root of it boils down to. Maybe you’re an emotional eater or a visual cue eater (that’s me). Anyway I felt it was beneficial to me. And after I’m banded March 7th I have to see him again in Sep. Good Luck

1. Since I have knowledge and I exercise why should I think I will be able to control myself after the band. My bad habits are record speeds of eating and huge portions. I do pretty well with choices.

My problem was huge portions and simply grazing all day and into the night. The Lap Band will help you immensely in controlling that . You simply will no longer be able to overeat. Before the Lap Band I lost weight several times but couldn't keep it off for more than a few months to maybe a year.

2. How do I break these bad habits?

With the band you are no longer hungry and you can no longer overeat. With that going for you it makes it much easier to deal with your struggles with food. Just follow the instructions that you are given and you and the band will break those bad habits. If you need counseling then go for it.

3. Is Gerd/ acid reflux a lifestyle after banding?

I rarely have issues with GERD or reflux. But I can no longer eat too close to bedtime though (7PM is my eating cutoff time for 9-9:30 bedtime). A couple of miserable nights taught me that I can no longer eat at night and it is no longer an issue.

I had the same concerns as you do. I worried that I could not control myself. I was/am a carb addict so I was strict about not eating bad carbs while losing weight, that helped me with cravings. I am almost 3 years out and I think the changes have become permanent. I definitely have a much healthier relationship with food.< /p>

I am going to Mexico at the end of March, I am a self pay. I am very worried about the same things. I feel however at this point it my life, this is my last hope. I am a carb / snacker / beer lover. Here's hoping that this works for me.

1. Since I have knowledge and I exercise why should I think I will be able to control myself after the band. My bad habits are record speeds of eating and huge portions. I do pretty well with choices. As mentioned by a previous poster, the band will help control the speed of eating and portion size. The band will let you know when it has been pushed to much.

2. How do I break these bad habits? Again, the band will help. It also helps that you recognize it as a problem and is something you can start working on now,

3. Is Gerd/ acid reflux a lifestyle after banding? Actually I was on medication for GERD prior to surgery. My surgeon told me that none of his patients after surgery ever needed their medication again. He told me to take a half dosage for a week if I wanted. I stopped my meds the day of surgery, and have never had to go back in nearly nine weeks.

4. Is finding a doctor for fills difficult in Cleveland Ohio? Support Groups? This is something you will need to research. You need to have a follow-up doctor in place before surgery if you are having it in Mexico.

My last comment is that in yeah, I was and still am scared of failure. There are always things we cannot predict, but if I was not banded, where would I be now? I would be heavier and even more out of shape, still on my GERD and blood pressure meds. Sometimes for change you have to take a leap of faith and take a chance.

Best wishes.

Well, it is all about learning to work with your new lifestyle. Watching your calories and exercising. The bands job is to control your hunger, it does help you eat less BUT, it doesn't stop you from eating, I could eat enough food to gain weight if I chose to.

Now, for me, my band is 1/2 full of Fluid, I can eat anything I want (but I'm not hungry so the band is working), no food gets stuck, I don't particularly go crazy with chewing my food. It's not the case for everyone though. But it shouldn't be happening frequently. Some people elect to get a lot of fills, because they want to physically not be able to over eat. Which isn't healthy.

You'd only get acid reflux and all that if you are too tight and you end up puking all the time.. The only problem I really have is with going to the bathroom, which is due to the lack of food, and the amount of Fiber we consume.

I would be a little concerned getting it and only needing to lose 60 pounds. It's a big surgery, and a lot of recovery and work, and for me, I'm about 2.5 months out and I've lost 40lbs already. Seems like it might be too much work to only lose 60 pounds. I have about 130 or so pounds to lose, it was to the point I couldn't lose those pounds myself dieting and exercising. I needed a little bit of a push. The band is kind of a built in tool, built in motivation. I can't really give up because it's always gonna be inside me.