Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Flipped Port Story

I'm not sure how common this is, but I thought I'd share my story in case it happens to someone else.

I had my band surgery on December 22, 2010. I went in for my first fill three weeks after that. The doctor had a difficult time getting the needle to go in the port, which is located just above my belly button. He told me to come back in three more weeks because it could be swelling interfering and not to worry about it too much. In the back of my mind, I thought that it must be flipped. There had been one evening when I was exercising and after a vigorous run, I felt my port "move" (I don't know how else to describe it). Well, over the course of the next three weeks I noticed that the port had begun to stick out; in fact, my esthetician said that it looked like I had two belly buttons - an innie and an outie. The port had also started causing me some discomfort (not really pain, but it was bothersome). At this point, I knew it was flipped. When I went back to the doctor he confirmed this.

I had my port fixed this past Friday. It was an out-patient procedure done in the same hospital where my band was placed. They treated it as any other surgery and knocked me completely out. The procedure itself didn't take long. I arrived at the hospital at 8:00am and was discharged at 11:00am. The doctor actually replaced my port with a smaller one and did a 4cc fill while he was in there. The incision is about 3' long and required seven staples. Since I live 2.5 hours away, he sent me home with my very own staple remover and I was able to remove the staples at home Saturday evening (quite an interesting experience). I'm supposed to call in each Friday with a report and a weigh-in.

As far as pain goes, I would say that it isn't too bad. The incision itself is sore and my stomach feels like I've done a few too many crunches. It's not nearly as painful as the actual band surgery. I did have quite a bit of abdominal gas the first 24 hours - GasX to the rescue!

I'll definitely be wearing my binder when I'm working out, as well as watching more closely what I do until I'm completely healed. I know that I rushed it before and I won't make the same mistake twice.

So, there's my flipped port story. Any questions? Ask away!

Glad you're back to new again. Just be really careful on exercise. I know we were told none for 6 wks.

Even when I started exercising, I was really careful about crunches/abs area and stuck with walking and swimming for a while.

Great you also got a fill at the same time!

whats a binder

Think of a binder as a huge Ace bandage that goes around your mid-section. It keeps everything snug.

I, too, had a flipped port. Unlike you, I had NO idea my port had flipped until I attempted to get my first fill, which was about 2 months after surgery. The revision surgery was just like the band surgery, except there was only one incision. (He reopened the same one he'd used for the band.) MY abdomen was much more sore this time around and I too felt like I'd done two million situps at one time! It wasn't painful, but was definitely sore. And while it was different, the revision soreness was worse than the bad soreness. I had no gas. I didn't get a fill during the surgery, and I got my first one last month. I'm due for my second this week, and I'm really apprehensive about getting it. For some stupid reason, I feel like my port coudl have flipped again. No reason, just worried that it could happen, especially since I had no warning when it really did.

I'm glad you're doing well. Thanks for sharing your story. And good luck on your journey!

Glad your port is fixed and good luck with your first fill! I'm sure everything will be fine, but like you, I'm nervous about my port now.

Keep me posted on how your first fill goes!

I was under the impression that if ports don't flip after the first few weeks, they probably won't. So if I'm doing some ab heavy exercises, it's possible to flip the port? That would pretty much suck...

You lost me at "he sent me home with my very own stapler remover".....lol

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

I had my surgery 2/16. I was sitting back on my couch today and went to move, using most of my stomach i guess, and felt like my port moved. is that normal? lol i right away sat still for at least a full minute and said "omg omg omg, what was that?" haha

so glad your to hear your on the mend, I feel very fortunate now that my surgeon attaches my port to a mesh that is used to repairs hernias and such then he attaches that to my muscle, it does make it a little more painful and longer to heal but oh lord, I couldn't imagine going through that again. GOOD LUCK LADIES! and I'm glad you where able to figure it out!

I have had two (yes two!) port revision surgeries for a flipped port. Both went without incident and I have been A-ok for the last 2.5 years! So glad to hear that things have been going well with you. Sorry you had the experience in the first place! Good luck on your journey!

I just found ot yesterday that my port fliped. I recieved my Third Fill on the 3rd, and she had a really hard time getting to my port, which she had never had before. She did manage to get to the port, and gave me 1.6cc fill. I usually only get 1cc. Well no surprise the .6 is alittle to much. So, I went in yesterday to have some removed, and No Luck. The Nurse, nor the doctor could get to it. So, Doc took me to X-ray and sure enough it has flipped over on it's side. So, Thursday March 17th I get to go back in for surgery to fix it, and have the .6cc taken out so I can eat more then just greek yogurt and drip protien shakes.< /p>

You lost me at "he sent me home with my very own stapler remover".....lol

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

LOL! :lol: You and me both!!!