Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's Characteristics do the most successful bandsters have?

I was watching bits and pieces of an obesity show. Hard to watch with an entire family needing to talk to you at the time it's on. Anyway, they were discussing various weight loss options including the lap-band and were about to mention the group they find to be the most successful at the lap-band. Not knowing what they said I'm hoping someone here can shed some light. What characteristics are most common in successful bandsters?

Thank you. Hopefully I have them but of course I wonder. ;)

Eat Weight Disord. 2003 Sep;8(3):218-24. Links

Therapeutic outcome of adjustable gastric banding in morbid obese patients.

Hotter A, Mangweth B, Kemmler G, Fiala M, Kinzl J, Biebl W.

Department of Psychosomatics, University Clinic of Psychiatry, Innsbruck, Austria. alexandra.hotter@tilak.or.at

We examined 77 obese patients treated with bariatric surgery in order to analyse treatment success, and compare those with a good or a poor outcome. The subjects, who were recruited one year after undergoing adjustable gastric banding, were asked questions concerning their sociodemographic status, postoperative course, past and present weight status, eating behaviours and difficulties in changing eating habits. Furthermore, we also used two body image questionnaires, and considered the patients' evaluations of positive and negative changes, as well as their wishes for the future. There were no preoperative differences between the 71% of patients in the good outcome group and the 29% in the poor outcome group. With regard to the postoperative course, the poor outcome group had more problems in adapting to new eating behaviours, experienced significantly more post-surgical complications, and had a persistently negative body evaluation. Both groups were satisfied with their achieved weight loss achieved, and their improved self-esteem and mobility. Adjustable gastric banding seems to be successful in inducing weight loss and allowing a better quality of life. However, factors such as postoperative complications, the ability and willingness to adopt new eating attitudes, and an improved body image seem to be crucial for therapeutic outcome.

PMID: 14649786 [PubMed - in process]

I can't give you a solid scientific answer like Sue did, but here's

what I've observed that seems to bode well for success:

-Select a surgeon who has done at least 50 lap-band surgeries (the more, the better)

-Find some more experienced bandsters (on messageboads like this or at an in-person support group) to go to for advice and support.

-After the liquid stage of the post-op diet, avoid liquid calories like ice cream, candy, milkshakes, and alcohol for the most part. Stay focused on Protein foods.

-Be willing to exercise to some extent (I don't think you need to be an exercise fanatic; just walking around the block a few times a week is a good start).

There's a little bit of luck involved too (as far as not having any complications that might impede your progress). But, personally, I think that almost anyone who is serious about wanting to lose weight can lose enough weight with the band to improve their health and quality of life.

Good luck!

Before I was banded last July, I was told that generally (not always!), the "bulk eaters" tend to do better than the people who like to just snack on and off all day. The reason being that the bulk eaters now get that same feeling of satiation they crave with a MUCH smaller amount of food, whereas the people who snack all day can still do so to a certain extent. The band is a tool, and CAN be misused by those who continue to have the need to always be eating a little something. They can keep eating all those little Snacks and sabotage their weight loss. I was a bulk eater and have lost 70 pounds in 6 months, with the loss not really starting for a good 6 weeks after banding. But again, this is just something someone told me.....don't know if it's always true! Everybody is different, as all "experienced" bandsters will tell you!!

Larry,

I totally agree with you about bulk eaters being more successful than snackers and sweet eaters. I am a bulk eater and when I feel full with my band, I stop eating. The quantity could be 4 oz or 8 oz, but it is a third of what I ate before. I also think that the folks who are willing to change what they eat as well are even more successful. First Protein, then veggies and if there is room, some limited carbs. Also, finding a good doc who will offer you solid followup care is important to keep you on the "band" wagon. I am always surprised when I hear what some bandsters eat on a regular basis and why they wonder how come they are not losing. !

Babs in TX

334/254/180

-80 and counting

6/23/03

What caught my eye in the abstract you posted, Sue, was the part about both groups being satisfied with their achieved weight loss, improved mobility, and improved self-esteem. Those things are all I care about. So what caused the researchers to call one group "good outcome" and one group "poor outcome?" They both had good outcomes in my book.

The question I find interesting is what personality qualities would differentiate successful from unsuccessful bandsters when the measure of success is percentage of excess body weight lost. That would be a fascinating study. For example, I wonder whether a flexible person or a rigid person would do better? A flexible person might be able to adapt more quickly to eating in a different way. On the other hand, a rigid person might be more likely to stick to the bandster rules without deviation.

Nancy

Nancy,

Since all that was posted was the abstract of the study (pre-publication, at that), I have no clue. However, my guess is that a certain percentage of excess weight had to be lost in order for one to be "successful."

I am in the "unsuccessful" group, myself...at least for the time being. But I need to work on my issues and, perhaps, have a teensy bit of saline in my band, as right now there is none. I could go get more...but I think I'd better work on why I was (at least some of the time) eating around the band.

Sue