Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I NEED motivational help...desperate!

I was banded on January 17, 2008 and did exceptionaly well for about 1.5 years. Then I had a major mental breakdown (bipolar disorder) which required higher doses of some medication that has the awful side effect of weight gain and insatiable cravings. I tried to control it, but the weight began piling back on. After I became stable, my RX doctor tried to cut down the dosage to help with these side-effects...I went manic AGAIN. It looks like I will be on this medication for the rest of my life. Here we are another year or so later and I have gained ALL of my weight back, plus some. A few months ago I decided to get a complete un-fil because the medicine was causing INTENSE cravings that caused me to get stuck all of the time. Needless to say, as soon as I got an unfil the weight came on even faster. I have never weighed this much in my life! Actually before I was diagnosed as bipolar, I had a normal body weight. After starting medications I gained over 100lbs in a year (This was when I was about 16 years old, I'm 27 now.)

I really need someone to help motivate me to get filled again, and to try and fight these horrible cravings! I was only 20 pounds away from my goal weight and I feel that with more motivation I can get back there. If anybody out there is listening, I would really appreciate some help working through this. Thank you all for listening :)

I am so sorry to hear of your struggles! I know how certain meds can definately make it tougher....sounds like yours help one issue, but create another in the process! :( I hope that you are able to stablize the meds and get your lapband tool back in motion as well. We are here for you on the boards if you need advice or motivation ---- we are all in the same boat....on the same journey, just in different spots!

Hang in there!

Kim

Wow. I cannot imagine fighting both the weight and the mental issues simultaneously. You must be an amazingly strong woman!

My older sister has been battling weight issues and depression since she was about 12 and has suffered through the same extreme weight fluctuations you have. I'd be happy to be here for you for both encouragement and any minimal help I could offer. Feel free to e-mail me (thibideau@aol.com) or you can join the small blog group I have on blogspot.

Maryanne

I was banded on January 17, 2008 and did exceptionaly well for about 1.5 years. Then I had a major mental breakdown (bipolar disorder) which required higher doses of some medication that has the awful side effect of weight gain and insatiable cravings. I tried to control it, but the weight began piling back on. After I became stable, my RX doctor tried to cut down the dosage to help with these side-effects...I went manic AGAIN. It looks like I will be on this medication for the rest of my life. Here we are another year or so later and I have gained ALL of my weight back, plus some. A few months ago I decided to get a complete un-fil because the medicine was causing INTENSE cravings that caused me to get stuck all of the time. Needless to say, as soon as I got an unfil the weight came on even faster. I have never weighed this much in my life! Actually before I was diagnosed as bipolar, I had a normal body weight. After starting medications I gained over 100lbs in a year (This was when I was about 16 years old, I'm 27 now.)

I really need someone to help motivate me to get filled again, and to try and fight these horrible cravings! I was only 20 pounds away from my goal weight and I feel that with more motivation I can get back there. If anybody out there is listening, I would really appreciate some help working through this. Thank you all for listening :)

We have a lot in common! I was a normal, healthy weight until I began taking Effexor XR for depression right after high school. After a few years, I had gained 100lbs. Once I was diagnosed Bipolar (not just depression), I went off of Effexor XR and my weight stabalized.

Last year, I participated in a medical trial at the National Institute of Mental Health, which lasted 4 months. In the last month and a half, I started the treatment phase and was put on 2 new medications whose first side effects were weight gain. I had no choice but to take the medicine because if my Bipolar isn't controlled, how can I ever hope to control my weight? In that month and a half, I gained 25lbs. In the 3 previous months in the trial, I gained 3lbs. So, quite obviously, it was the meds.

It is so awful how we have to manage so many problems. But I think getting you Bipolar stabilized, as much as possible, and then working on your weight would be an excellent idea. Afterall, the better you feel and look, the less your Bipolar has to grab a hold of and "use" against you. KWIM?

Good luck and contact me anytime. So few people understand our predicament, so sticking together is great!

Be Blessed,

Kelley

Hugs Kalia, sorry you are struggling. First and foremost you need to stay on your meds for your bipolar -- you need to accept that this is something you will need to do for the rest of your life in order to have a happy life. Once you feel you have that part of your life under control, then you can start to deal with your weight loss issues again. First of all, do not beat yourself up or feel guilty about gaining this weight. Obesity is every bit as much of a disease as being bipolar or having cancer -- it's not who you are, it's what you have.Then you need to get your fill and start working your program again - follow the rules -- Protein first, drink your Water, no snacking and exercise.

I think will help with both your bipolar and the weight issues. It's a struggle, but try to find something you like to do. You didn't say if you have a hubby or kids, but even if you do (and I know how busy that is) try to take one hour for you every day to exercise - take a walk, ride a bike, dance, go to aerobics classes -whatever you find that is fun. Start out slow and increase over time. I have found that going back to the beginning with the 5 Day pouch Test was a good way for me to reconnect again when I strayed and gained some weight back. It really helped me to get back on track. It's at www.5daypouchtest.com

Good luck and know that we are all here for you.

Linda.

Medications can certainly make a differance. I was banded in August 2006. I lost about 80 pounds and then stuck at that point. I was loosing every week. I was also on Topamax for Migraines and it supressed my appetite. I was on that medication for 1 year and could not stand the side effects of being tired all of the time and like I was always in a fog. It didn't help the migraines so the neurologist said to discontinue it. I noticed a huge change in my appetite after I quit taking it. My appetite returned and I felt hungry alot more of the time than when I was on the topamax. I could not ever get to my goal weight that I was 20 pounds from. Now I have put on abput 15 pounds over the last three years.

I was going to support groups and did have a fill two years ago when I was 10 pounds heavier than my lowest, but it never helped me to loose any more weight and since have gained 5 pounds more as of now. I think I will try to get back to a support group and really think about what I am eating, as I do think I still have restriction, but have become too complacent about my eating.

Maybe a support group would help to keep you motivated and accountable, where you have to continue your medication. I guess writing down everything you eat as well. Writing down when you exercise. I tend to eat small meals, but get hungry or bored and take in several Snacks during the day , particularly unsalted peanuts.