Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did it take you to recover after lapband surgery and back to work

Hi, my surgery is set for 3/21/2011. I was wondering when to take a leave of absence from my work. My pre-op diet is set to start on febrruary 24. I feel like it is too long and I'm afraid I won't succeed and will be too tired to work because of not eating enough. Also, I don't want to tell anybody at work because I don' twant to be judged. At this point my husband is the only person who nows about this. He is not very supportive but he is not discouraging me either. Please share your experiences. Thanks.

Read my blog for more info...but here is my experience in a nutshell.

My doc didn't require a full on pre op diet, just no fast food etc....so that part I can't help with too much but I can tell you that you could get some of the Muscle Milk brand Protein shakes, the are 240 calories but 23 grams of Protein and they are filling and really help a LOT with physical hunger, they also have lots of Vitamins etc so that is also helpful. I personally have found that if I get in less than 40 grams of protein I am TIRED like you would not beleive...like I gave wrong change at work, had to put my head down and rest...and it's a DESK job! So...seriously take in the protein my favorite peotein rich foods are yogurt and cottage cheese...cottage cheese being the highest. The Protein Shakes really pack it in though so keep that in mind. I like the vanilla creme flavor better than the chocolate because I KNOW what good chocolate tastes like...and that aint it....lol.

Going back to work....well my surgery was on Tuesday and my first day back to work was the following tuesday. I honestly wish I had taken one more day off but I had caught a cold also and was feeling crappy again. I did find that it took a week before I could get myself on a normal eating schedule and about a week and a half to get bored with the liquids I had chosen up to that point. I can not stress variety enough. Seriously...the K20 protien Water drink mixes ROCKS they taste just like a crystal light but has almost as much protein as a glass of milk at 5 grams for a 16 oz glass of Water. Pink lemonade hit the spot too because all of the sugar free stuff made me feel like I was on sugar overload and I was a sweet junkie! I am just totally getting sick of the sweet taste of everything.

I know for a fact that if I had been better about gettig my protein in those first few days at work I would not have been so tired and perhaps might not have had the major emotional hunger issue that I had on Wednesday...but I beat that craving into submission and moved on in my own way.

I don't think it matters if you tell everyone. If you really want to hide it you can. Things to be aware of...you can't bend over that first week. I am day 12 post op and can for a few seconds at a time but it really hurts. I am no longer hacving to take anything for pain, not even ibuprofen, but it is really hard to bend over still and I can't lay on my tummy. My husband is sick of the pillow volcano that I sleep in to keep me from rolling onto my tummy or left side...lol. But in all honesty it has been a great experience. I think you will do fine to just take a week off....or surgeryday through the end of the week. If you have the time and can take a couple extra days you will be mostly normal again by the time you go back....so I think you can hide it just fine. You can always say you worked out hard as a reason for moving slowly and being tired and the Protein Shakes are a popular "diet" so ...easy enough. Just remember protein protein protein...that is where your energy comes from!

Good luck...it's goona be awesome!

Congrats! My surgery is set for March 8,, 2011!! My surgeon told me to start the pre-op diet two weeks before surgery so I'm starting my pre-op diet February 23, 2011 - I'm kind of nervous about that, too. I am a middle school teacher. My job requires for me to be "with-it" so I decided to take 2 weeks off in order to give myself time to adjust. I haven't told anyone at work. I believe it's a personal surgery therefore should be a personal choice. Of course my very supportive husband knows in additon to a few close family members and friends. I am a very private person so my decision was very easy.

I wish you the best!!

Hi, my surgery is set for 3/21/2011. I was wondering when to take a leave of absence from my work. My pre-op diet is set to start on febrruary 24. I feel like it is too long and I'm afraid I won't succeed and will be too tired to work because of not eating enough. Also, I don't want to tell anybody at work because I don' twant to be judged. At this point my husband is the only person who nows about this. He is not very supportive but he is not discouraging me either. Please share your experiences. Thanks.

i'm on the pre-op diet this week. today is my last day of full liquids, tomorrow is all Clear Liquids and monday is the BIG DAY! i have to say the pre-op diet is NOT EASY, but not crazy either. Here is some tricks that i found worked for me this week. 1) Jello mixed with pudding is AMAZING! 2) you MUST have something every few hrs, you really wont feel hungry. 3) freeze yogurt, its amazing! 4) stay away from everyone...i am not hanging out with friends this week cause they eat. 5) You MUST drink water! LOTS AND LOTS of water!!! TRUST ME --- in so many ways the Water is sooo important.

the muscle milk light is OK..i am sticking to it, everyone said its the best tasting one...drink 2-3 of them a day.

I had my surgery on a Thursday and was back to work on the following Tuesday. I have a desk job and it wasn't a cake walk, but it was do-able. I just remember feeling fairly sore, and getting tired those first few afternoons. But everyone is different. Good luck to you on this amazing journey!

Hi, My surgery is scheduled for 2/16. I am on day 6 of the pre-op diet. The first 3 days were very difficult for me, but I must say it is getting easier. However, I did break down and eat a salad twice! LOL They mainly want me on liquids to shrink the liver and keep the calories below 1200 per day, which I did even with the salad. I am using Bariatric fusion Meal Replacements and I have to say I like them. I have vanilla and chocolate. One of my friends who had the surgery suggested it and I am so glad I tried this one. He also gave me a tip on mixing them. If you mix one scoop of the Protein in the blender, 4 frozen strawberries, 3/4 cup of 1% milk and a few ice cubes it tastes like a smoothie. It also has 27 grams of Protein. You can order them on line at bariatricfusion.com. They are also available in several other flavors. LOL I sound like I work for the company or something!

As far as telling people at work about the surgery, I did not. Only two people close to me at work know. However, I wanted to take some time off to heal, so I said I was having surgery to repair my hiatal hernia, which is true. I just left out the part that they are also putting on a band! A few people seen me drinking shakes at work and when they asked what it was drinking I said it was a Protein shake. They said, "Oh, I drink them sometimes," and asked no other questions.

I wish you all the best!

: ) Anastasia