Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Going a little crazy...multiple symptoms, don't know who to call

I feel like I'm losing my mind. I have symptoms from every direction and just don't know which doctor to call or even what to think it "might be" anymore.

I had surgery 12/23, first fill 1/17.

• For the last two weeks I've had my period. It has gotten extremely heavy over the last 3-4 days.
  • My breasts are hurting, like they are swollen or something. They are large to begin with so it's hard to tell if they are actually swollen but they feel so heavy and uncomfortable over the last week.
  • I can't keep my electrolytes balanced no mater what I do. I'm taking all my supplements as directed and they seem to be getting out of whack at every turn. I woke up with twitchy muscles this morning, which is usually a sign of low potassium.
  • I'm not gaining or losing weight...despite the fact that I am only eating 1200 calories a day and exercising 3 days a week (when I was not exercising at all before...so this is an improvement but not quite at the 5-6 days a week it should be)
  • I've had loose and/or wattery stools for the last 6 days...this is getting real old. I don't have stomach cramps or anything....just very suddenly feel like I have to go, and bad things can happen if I don't go fast enough. I am eating solid foods...this isn't a "liquid in/liquid out" thing.
  • This morning I feel a little nauseated...but I have not had anything to eat or drink today as of yet.

I don't know if I should call my surgeon, my gynocologist or my primary care physician. I have no idea if this is band related...can getting the band throw off your hormones and cause all these issues? I don't "feel" like I have the flu...I feel relatively healthy (minus all the issues listed above). Some of my muscles are sore from working out and my energy level is "somewhat normal" for me...so I don't think it's illness, but maybe I'm wrong?

I'm 99.9999% sure I'm not pregnant. If I am, I would have to have been prior to surgery on 12/23. I'm about to take a test to rule it out but assuming that is NOT the issue since it's practically impossible...what do I do?

you're not losing your mind. you're barely a month out of surgery... surgery is an incredible stress on your body, and stress can affect us in the strangest ways!! it's not uncommon at all to be irregular for months after surgery... I'm on the pill and have had wonderful predictable to the hour periods that last about 2 days, but for the first couple of months after surgery it came days early and lasted 3 or 4 times longer than it would, or it would come days late causing panic! stress can affect your hormone levels which could cause the breast tenderness too...

Some people lose weight immediately after surgery... some people take weeks to see loss. your body is still healing and not dropping the pounds is OK right now. Just follow your doctors eating plan.

I think I had bathroom issues for weeks after surgery... between the surgery itself and meds, the change in diet, and stress in general I was stocking up on extra soft charmin. loose stools can also dehydrate you causing your electrolyte imbalance... have you tried drinking G2? The sugarfree gatorade? alternate between it and Water if you're having issues in the bathroom.

It never hurts to call your doctor... I'd call the surgeon first and if they think your symptoms can't be explained by surgery then they'll advise you to call your ob.

But you're not crazy! You just turned your system upside down and it's catching up!

I was an early menopauser (45). Had not had my period for a year and a half prior to surgery. Two weeks after surgery, I got my period. Just once, but sort of freeked me out too. I agree, surgery does weird things to your body. It might not hurt to call your doctor tho... I guess I would call my GYN.

i have a question for you ladies who r on the pill... my doctor said i have to crush all my pills do u crush ur birth control pill?

As to TOM mine has been messed up for a year. Most of that time I was on a blood thinner which means all bets are off. Surgery was 6 months ago and I have been off BT for about 2 + months. My periods are still way off it comes several days early with little warning. This month I had a normal period, two weeks, and then another normal period. At my last fill I ask the nurse and she said that since my weight loss has been slow (1 pound a week) that she did not think it was surgery related. I'm not so sure about that.

i have a question for you ladies who r on the pill... my doctor said i have to crush all my pills do u crush ur birth control pill?

I did for the first couple of weeks, but it's so small it isn't an issue. if it's smaller than a pencil eraser it will probably go down for you!

I don't crush my bc pills or my thyroid pills. They're small enough to pass through with no problems

Becki, I had a lot if breast discomfort after my surgery. I don't typically have that before my cycle starts. It was strange and hurt. But after my period started, it went away. I hope that doesn't happen again.

I think I'd call my Gyn. It may be nothing but stress and adjustment from surgery, but then again, some of those symptoms, taken together, sound a bit worrisome.

Thanks for all the replies. I am waiting for a call from the surgeon. The pregnancy test was negative...so now that is ruled out for sure.

I am drinking G2 on advice from my nutritionist last week when I started having issues with electrolytes. I thought I had everything under control but waking with the twitching legs and cramps in my feet again this morning tells me I STILL don't have things right.

I know I am drinking enough Water...but I'm afraid the Water is flushing out "something"...but I don't know what the something is. I had been bad about taking my cal/mag until last week and really started being good with that, which resolved how horrible I was feeling last week (major muscle aches and pains and massive leg cramping over night), but now this. I have looked to see if "calcium citrate" could be the cause of loose stool but everything I read says it should cause the OPPOSITE problem. I almost wish it was causing that right now. LOL

My poor "girls" though..someone hugged me the other day and they were so tender I had to pull away. Every night I almost don't want to take off my bra cuz I know the gravity pull is going to be painful. Poor things. I hope this all balances out soon!

I had my surgery 1/10/11...was re-admitted with severe dehyration on the 12th or 13th...and spent 36 hours getting fluids pumped into me. My periods have never been normal anyway...and I had just stopped a week before my surgery...ANYWAY...immediately after being discharged...I had what was arguably one of the craziest, heaviest periods of my life. I don't know if it was the fluids added with the weight loss. I've dropped 28 pounds...(although I can't seem to update my thingy today for some reason)...

The period JUST stopped yesterday. I thought I was gonna have to get a medic...blood transfusion...a roll of Bounty and a crash helmet...somethin'! It was nuts.

I feel your pain sister.

I'm no "rocket surgeon" here...(yes I meant to type that) but you should let your bariatric and regular physician know...and in the meantime...keep drinking your water/Crystal Light and stay hydrated...and make sure your Vitamins have some Iron in them.

Good luck and keep up the great work!!

I had a month long period shortly after being banded. Prior to that I hadn't had a period for over 5 years. Imagine my suprise! Surgery is very stressful on the body and the body responds in some pretty whacked up ways. Hope you are feeling better soon!

I was banded on Jan 11th and readmitted for three days for dehydration. Immediately after being discharged home, I started my period- 6 days early. I also had very loose stools which I still have now. I think surgery just seems to throw your body out of whack.