Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Crystal lite vs H20

We all know that Water is needed to help lose weight and support our body, we also know that crystal lite is a good alternative to water.

My husband on the other hand say flat out NO to crystal lite and says that "pure water" is the only way to hydrate...

What do the rest of you think?

I feel crystal lite or what ever brand you use is just as good as long as it is calorie/sugar/fat free...

Please chime in with your 2 cents.

Zen

The only time I drink Water is at the gym. I always drink wylers light (equivalent to crystal light just different brand). It definitely is the same as water, just has a bit of flavor. Though I dilute it more than the pack recommends. I put one singe serve packet on 32 oz of water, compared the the 16 oz the box says

We all know that Water is needed to help lose weight and support our body, we also know that crystal lite is a good alternative to Water.< /span>

My husband on the other hand say flat out NO to crystal lite and says that "pure water" is the only way to hydrate...

What do the rest of you think?

I feel crystal lite or what ever brand you use is just as good as long as it is calorie/sugar/fat free...

Please chime in with your 2 cents.

Zen

my nutritionist says that crystal lite is fine thats one of the drinks she list on her papers in her post op class she really does not want us to drink water for a while but i do both since thats what the hospital started me with

Hydration is Fluid in. Whether it comes from a glass of Water, water in a piece of fruit, flavoured water, soda, quite literally any fluid short of salt water is hydrating. Even coffee is hydrating (but is a diuretic so it will hydrate then flush water out of you). Ask your husband if all the sports players on TV are hydrating themselves during the games by drinking Gatorade - or not. Gatorade is just flavoured and enhanced water, same as Crystal Light.

Hydration is Fluid in. Whether it comes from a glass of Water, Water in a piece of fruit, flavoured water, soda, quite literally any Fluid short of salt water is hydrating. Even coffee is hydrating (but is a diuretic so it will hydrate then flush water out of you). Ask your husband if all the sports players on TV are hydrating themselves during the games by drinking Gatorade - or not. Gatorade is just flavoured and enhanced water, same as Crystal Light.

Well Said I will use this on my hubby!!!

Water is NOT the only way to hydrate. Medical experts, as well as athletes and servicemembers deployed to extreme desert conditions, and others who have extreme hydration needs, use fluids other than just water. Heck, even coffee is not usually considered a diuretic anymore--just a stimulant due to the caffeine. I don't know that Crystal Light is truly just as good as water, but if it helps you drink more than you would if it were just water, it is definitely of benefit to your body. Husbands can be goofy and sooo stubborn! :lol:

I believe that crystal light is as effective as Water. I have found, since being banded, that I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners and now actually prefer ice cold Water.

I also drink Minute Maid light lemonade--essentially the same as crystal light but it comes in cans.

My dr and NUT say crystal lite is OK as long as I get at least 1/2 my Water from pure water the rest is fair game. Some days I drink nothing but water, others I do the 1/2 and 1/2 thing. If the dr and the NUT say its OK so I'm guessing it is ok.

Anything that helps you drink enough is worth it.

If it weren't for Crystal Light I wouldn't drink at least 60 oz a day since I drink just that in Crystal Light alone. I make it with a little more Water than is necessary since it's pretty sweet. A note for those who drink Isopure, the glass bottle is perfect for using with the single packets of Crystal Light.

I'll gladly drink plain Water, if it's iced and nice and cold. :)

I think you are both right nothing beats pure Water, But some need to put alittle flavor with their water. I am drinking crystal lite now ,but last year I stopped drinking it because my bladder did not agree with it . I was running to the bathroom freqently. So I am watching how much cry/lite I am drinking..................Do all thing in moderation.............YOUR CHOICE.............

Crystal light is good old H2O plus a bit of powder. Crystal light is an additive, it doesn't make it not Water anymore.

That Gatorade comment above is genius. I hope that shuts him up! :)

soda/pop, even diet, is very high in sodium (salt) and very acidic. Gateraide is very high in sugar .......... neither one would be good to drink for someone with the band.

I do not drink Crystal light ever bacause I don't like the taste. I know I don't get in enough Water daily. I drink quite a bit of iced tea with sweet-n-low and sometimes just clear ice Water.< /p>

In the summer if I want something with a kool-aid taste like crystal light I go for nectar brand roadside lemonaid Protein drinks.

Obviously straight Water is better because all the others have something (caffeine, artificial sweeteners, etc.) that make them less than perfect choices *but* according to all the experts, Fluid is Fluid. Personally, I don't use even artificial sweeteners because they make me crave. I discovered that on the days I drank straight Water or unsweetened tea, I didn't struggle as much with the head cravings, but on the days I drank crystal lite I was constantly thinking about food.

I don't think there is anything wrong with crystal light. The one thing that I take into consideration is how much clear Water my kidneys have had for the day. Your body does need to filter out anything added to water. I kind of think of it as cleaning out the filter when I drink water.