Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Write To Karen

Hello Group,

I have only one more month on this long journey I have been on with my host Kaiser Permanente. I will need to lose 4 more pounds by the end of January to reach the weight goal set by Kaiser Permanente. I know I can do it and I am happy for how far I have already come.

So by Feb. 1st I can have the Doctors submit the request for the Lap Band surgery. As most of you know Kaiser Permanente is the company that approves the RNY but has not given to much information to me if they will approve the Lap Band surgery.

I have done everything Kaiser Permanente has asked me to do and I am a very good candidate for the Lap Band surgery. So I will fight this to the end. I will need everyone's support and prayers. I will weigh in on Jan. 4th and then for the last time at the end of the month.

Greg it would be nice to meet in Towson but I really don't know that area. If you could suggest a place I will do my best to make it happen. I enjoyed meeting with you before and I'm looking forward to seeing you again.

I liked the idea of meeting in different locations to expand out group and accommodate all our members needs. So if any members that live in or know the Towson area can give a few suggestions that would also be great.

Happy New Year... To You All...

Karen

You go Karen, I'm sorry you have to go through all the hoops but it will be worth it in the end. Good Luck with the weigh in. 20 pounds down is no joke, you are doing great. Keep It Up....down....lol

I like meeting in different locations also.

I gained back 2 lbs over the holiday weekend. Not bad if you ask me. Now I will need to lose 5.5 lbs to get the request sent in. With everyone's support I will do just fine. My next weigh in is on Jan. 30th. I will do a Cleanse and that always helps me get back on track.

Check out this web site: www.befitandslim.com

Karen

Also, check out the Protein train thread. It has helped me and I will be starting it again on Monday.

I gained back 2 lbs over the holiday weekend. Not bad if you ask me. Now I will need to lose 5.5 lbs to get the request sent in. With everyone's support I will do just fine. My next weigh in is on Jan. 30th. I will do a Cleanse and that always helps me get back on track.

Check out this web site: www.befitandslim.com

Karen

Hi All:

My name is Cathy, I live in Maryland and currently haver Kaiser HMO through my employer. A week ago I requested a referral for the LapBand from my PCP. At this point I am still waitng an answer as to who, if anyone, does the surgery for Kaiser. I know Kaiser's background and would like information from anyone who has had the surgery through Kaiser in the Washington, DC area. I am seeking info on how to begin, what steps I should be taking, things I should do or consder doing to get through the porcess, who did their surgery and any other information that may be helpful to me in this process to ensure all goes well. I was told it was covered and refereed back to my PCP. I am feeling alittle uneasy about Kaiser at this time. Thanks for your help.

Hi PrazeDiva Crystalstar actually had to change insurance companies to have the surgery. I have a neighbor who had so switch from Kaiser to have her breast reduction. Crystalstar can tell you all that she had to go through but start documenting all appts and conversations with all contact with Kaiser.

Good Luck

Thanks Teresita for your quick response. I will send Crystalstar an email. I know it is too late to change insurances that took place by in Nov-Dec 06 and I would have to wait until the end of this year. I am hoping I can get an answere from my PCP soon.

Thanks for the adive I will definitely document everything from this point on.

This is a wonderful forum and am gald I can be apart of it.

You are welcome hun. Get a referral asap to see a nutrionist and start your 6 month journaling. Everytime you see your doctors you have to let them know how much your weight bothers you. What co morbidities do you have?

I have no co morbidities except a bad right knee due to my weight. I weigh 304 and my BMI is 48.2. My PCP told me that I qualify because uase of my BMI and belive he is willing to give me the referral once he gets all the info. While I am waiting on him can I call the nutritist to schedule an appointment. What is the 6 month journaling for?

I have been complaining about my weight for a while, I have noticed that my knee is starting to bother me more and more each day.

You don't have high blood pressure or boarderline pressure problems? If so it would be helpful. Kaiser and a lot of insurance companies or even surgeons require the 6 month doctor supervised diet. So I think you see your doctor or nutritionist once a month to see how you do. Be sure to tell your doctor about your knee so he can make note of it everytime.

Have you checked the insurance thread? Just stay on this site and research everything you can.

Hello Teresita and Group:

Thanks for the information you provided. I did send CrystalStar11 an email but have not heard back from her as of today.

My doctor gave me a referral to the nutritionist and today was my appt for the Weight Loss class; after speaking with her and telling her my plan for the LB, she told me Kaiser (wash DC area) only does GB and especially not for feds (She said LB has a verry low to none success rate - I find that hard to believe after all I have read on the site). However, my PCP has not said yes or no, all he said is that he is still waiting for a response back from provider services and still gathering info. I explained to her that I needed to deal with my PCP on that note.

I now have to do a 5-6 mo behavior modification program and attend GB classes even though I want LB.

I am considering switching health insurances but have to wait for open season in Nov-Dec. Do you have any suggestions on what insurnace co. I should go with that will do the surgery? Also, any additonal advice you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks.

309.8 lbs with no co morid.

PrazeDiva,

I work for Federal Government and I have MDIPA. No problems getting approved as long as you have your doctor's notes from your 6mo consecutive medically supervised diet plan

Thanks for the response. I wil be attend the 6 mos supervised program under Kaiser, so I will make sure I have copies of everything for when I do change insurance..

I am also with the Fed Govt and now have Aetna Open Choice (2007). I started out with Kaiser and tried for several years to have the surgery. I went through the 6 month of classes then made the decision to change to GEHA (2006). I found this company very good to work with but they are expense. I had to pay 15% of my hospital bill and 50% for all non generic prescriptions. So this year I changed to Aetna.

Come time for open season, do your research because each year the rules change. During the open season for 2006, I emailed the companies to see who covers the lapband and found MDIPA and GEHA. I did like Kaiser and would like to go back so this open season I called them to see if they would cover my follow-up care and any problems that I may encounter in the future and I was told NO. If I were you, I would also try to get tested for sleep apnea. Since this is so early in the year, go through the whole program just like you are going to get GBP to get all the testing out of the way, then come next year all you have to do is get approved. It took me until June to have surgery, because of all the testing I had to do after changing insurance companies.