Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caffeine anyone???

coffee coffee coffee..... i have some almost every day! I too loved me some Diet Coke but was willing to give it up...

I'd love to enjoy a cup of coffee these days. Nothing like a good cup of steaming hot, freshly brewed coffee to satisfy things. I live near Seattle, and around here, good coffee is the LAW! :)

But guess what? Even though my Nut says it's okay, I'm finding the taste absolutely awful! Doesn't matter what I do - I keep trying different brews and whatever, and I just can't get my head around the taste of it since I was banded two weeks ago. What's up with that? :blink:

Dave

Haha yea, I can only drink the fancy blended stuff with chocolate and sugar which is bad for you anyways. Ah I wanna go to Seattle again, totally my favorite place to visit :D

Wow, thanks! I try to post things I think others would want to know about. I appreciate the good feelings. Love Australia. Spent a glorious week in Sydney a gazillion years ago, and would love to go back. Maybe one day!

I'm with you on those damn Protein shakes - I've had three today already, and it's not even supper time.

One thing about the coffee topic I learned - since being banded I'm apparently lactose intolerant. I do put a bit of milk in my coffee. So maybe that's the problem. Will keep trying, and we'll see how things develop. Stay tuned...

Dave

Hi Dave

I, too, became lactose intolerant after surgery. For a while I found Decaf coffee to be so bad, it was as though it was toxic. Now I can drink it and I put coconut milk in it. No problem with intolerance.

Every once in a while I find everything stinks. Weird. My nose gets ultra sensitive. Sometimes everything smells like fish -- even chocolate!

I also find that sometimes certain foods (and I never know what it will be) will seem very toxic to me -- taste bad, smell bad, or just a sense that my body does not want it.

I do my grocery shopping by looking at the food Im thinking of getting and then paying very close attention to my body's response. If I feel a negative response, I don't buy the item. It works for me.

I was banded July 7th.

~hiddn

Hi Dave

I, too, became lactose intolerant after surgery. For a while I found Decaf coffee to be so bad, it was as though it was toxic. Now I can drink it and I put coconut milk in it. No problem with intolerance.

Every once in a while I find everything stinks. Weird. My nose gets ultra sensitive. Sometimes everything smells like fish -- even chocolate!

I also find that sometimes certain foods (and I never know what it will be) will seem very toxic to me -- taste bad, smell bad, or just a sense that my body does not want it.

I do my grocery shopping by looking at the food Im thinking of getting and then paying very close attention to my body's response. If I feel a negative response, I don't buy the item. It works for me.

I was banded July 7th.

~hiddn

That's a really interesting comment. I was able to eat anything pre-op (obviously - look at where I started this journey) - but post-op, my sense of taste has gone all crazy. Things I liked and looked forward to having before are completely unappealing now. chicken broth was never an issue before, but now, after making some up, I might have only a sip, and I'm done. I sit here thinking what do I want to have, and literally *nothing* sounds good. This is so weird.

I sincerely hope when I move off liquids to pureed/soft foods in another week that I'll be able to tolerate/like the things my head is currently telling me I *really* want to have. I'd hate to get to that point only to find nothing tastes good.

The journey continues... ;)

Dave

That's a really interesting comment. I was able to eat anything pre-op (obviously - look at where I started this journey) - but post-op, my sense of taste has gone all crazy. Things I liked and looked forward to having before are completely unappealing now. chicken broth was never an issue before, but now, after making some up, I might have only a sip, and I'm done. I sit here thinking what do I want to have, and literally *nothing* sounds good. This is so weird.

I sincerely hope when I move off liquids to pureed/soft foods in another week that I'll be able to tolerate/like the things my head is currently telling me I *really* want to have. I'd hate to get to that point only to find nothing tastes good.

The journey continues... ;)

Dave

Hi Dave

I found my whole relationship with food and hunger has changed -- for the better!

I am enjoying food in a whole different way, now. It is hard to put into words. But please do not stress about the possibility that you will not like food or that nothing will taste good.

Right now I am completely in love with Thai food! There is a curry dish that I get once a week and it lasts for several days because I only eat a little at a time. I also love hot cocoa made with coconut milk.

Im so glad to hear you are sticking with the time table of when you can go to the next stage. That is very important for your healing and creating a healthy base to move on from.

With the soft foods I would occasionally have a small amount of mashed potato and gravy. But mostly I focused on Protein and still do. For a while I found mashed potato and mashed avocado (in the same bite) was heaven!

I think you will have fun discovering what you really like!!

My odd symptoms have calmed down, thank goodness. And I think people just go thru weird things as their body adjusts. Patience comes in very handy.

Do you have Muscle Milk Protein Water where you are? It is a hydrating liquid with 10 grams of protein. It's not bad tasting. I keep it in the refrig for when I wake up in the night and just want a sip of something. I have the raspberry.

Keep on posting and I hope you'll let us know what foods tickle your taste buds along the way!

~hiddn

Hi Dave

I found my whole relationship with food and hunger has changed -- for the better!

I am enjoying food in a whole different way, now. It is hard to put into words. But please do not stress about the possibility that you will not like food or that nothing will taste good.

Right now I am completely in love with Thai food! There is a curry dish that I get once a week and it lasts for several days because I only eat a little at a time. I also love hot cocoa made with coconut milk.

Im so glad to hear you are sticking with the time table of when you can go to the next stage. That is very important for your healing and creating a healthy base to move on from.

With the soft foods I would occasionally have a small amount of mashed potato and gravy. But mostly I focused on Protein and still do. For a while I found mashed potato and mashed avocado (in the same bite) was heaven!

I think you will have fun discovering what you really like!!

My odd symptoms have calmed down, thank goodness. And I think people just go thru weird things as their body adjusts. Patience comes in very handy.

Do you have Muscle Milk Protein Water where you are? It is a hydrating liquid with 10 grams of protein. It's not bad tasting. I keep it in the refrig for when I wake up in the night and just want a sip of something. I have the raspberry.

Keep on posting and I hope you'll let us know what foods tickle your taste buds along the way!

~hiddn

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree things are adjusting to life post-op, and I will definitely enjoy the ride to figure out what I like and what I don't. I was never a major sweets eater, and after nothing but Protein Shakes these last couple of weeks, I'm completely sick of anything sweet. The idea of eating Thai food sounds great! I definitely want something savory these days. I dream of pureed Wendy's chili. LOL!

I don't have Muscle Milk Protein Water here. I'll check for it. I have found Isopure Protein Drinks at GNC, which are fruit flavored beverages. Again, more sweets, but 20g of protein and 0g carbs in a 10 oz drink isn't bad. Some flavors are more subtle than others. I find the Apple Melon to be pretty good.

For as tired of the liquid diet as I am, I'm also being faithful to my surgeon and his Nut's plans. As others have posted here, I have my whole life ahead of me to eat food; I don't want to jeopardize my recovery in the name of trying to cut corners. I'm meeting with the surgeon and Nut tomorrow afternoon, to go over the next phase of the recovery diet (pureed/soft foods) which I'm supposed to start next week. Maybe they'll give me time off for good behavior. :)

Dave

Thanks for the encouragement. I agree things are adjusting to life post-op, and I will definitely enjoy the ride to figure out what I like and what I don't. I was never a major sweets eater, and after nothing but Protein Shakes these last couple of weeks, I'm completely sick of anything sweet. The idea of eating Thai food sounds great! I definitely want something savory these days. I dream of pureed Wendy's chili. LOL!

I don't have Muscle Milk Protein Water here. I'll check for it. I have found Isopure protein drinks at GNC, which are fruit flavored beverages. Again, more sweets, but 20g of protein and 0g carbs in a 10 oz drink isn't bad. Some flavors are more subtle than others. I find the Apple Melon to be pretty good.

For as tired of the liquid diet as I am, I'm also being faithful to my surgeon and his Nut's plans. As others have posted here, I have my whole life ahead of me to eat food; I don't want to jeopardize my recovery in the name of trying to cut corners. I'm meeting with the surgeon and Nut tomorrow afternoon, to go over the next phase of the recovery diet (pureed/soft foods) which I'm supposed to start next week. Maybe they'll give me time off for good behavior. :)

Dave

I love your positive attitude and outlook. thanks for the isopure tip. i will try that flavor. i dont know what flavor i tried before, but it was very not good!

~hiddn

Coke (any soda) is a HUGE source of weight gain and retension. Not to mention other bad things it does to your body. The biggest thing about soda is it helps to retain Water especially coke. Now I am no doctor just going on what doctors have told me in the past. I started Hot tea day of surgery on my way home from the hospital. i waited 2 days to start regular coffee in moderation and made sure i got enough other liquids so that TMI i know my urine was clear. In the end Coffee should not hurt you if taken in moderation and you make sure to stay hydrated. Obviously you should steer clear of milk or cream unless its fat free and use a sweetner like agave or equal etc... Like i said im not a doctor just offering my honest humble opinion.

I quit the diet coke and all sodas. I have gotten used to crystal light and I think it feels better without the bubbles! I hope I don't have any different sense of taste but looks like it is common. I enjoyed reading this post and hope we can learn more from each other!!

I come from a coffee family! Once my brother said...as long as there's coffee in the pot I'm drinking coffee!! I do switch to tea some days and enjoy the green tea. I wonder if how and what we taste is affected by what we eat? I mean if we have cut down on carbs will that change our sense of taste? or could it? It's like we can start all over and try things we didn't think we would like before! lol

I'll be looking for Dave's wisdom after tomorrow.....surgery day for me!! take care!