Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Two Faces of the Lap Band

After reading and chatting on this board I am seeing a lot of the same stuff. A focus on physical issues with the band. Problems, successes, weight loss concerns and very commonly that the band didn't help people with their desire, want or compulsion to overeat. I chose the lap band because after a lengthy self realization process I came to the conclusion as to what my true problem was. I was never full & I was always wanting to eat. I chose the lap band because I was told it would help me with both of those issues and it has, but not exactly as I had expected.

I finally realized the band has two faces. I guess it would be more accurate to say that the band serves two purposes. Many of you probably already realize this but admittedly, I'm a little slow on the life lessons so I'm just beginning to understand this.

All my life I have struggled with weight. Even when I didn't have a weight problem my head said I did. High school photos show me how skinny I was but somewhere in my head I thought I was larger than others. So when I finally decided to get the band my mind set was all about weight loss. Weight loss pure and simple. Get banded, eat less, lose weight, problem solved end of story.

What I have learned in the past 14 months of being banded, reading posts, reply to posts, and really looking at myself is that there are TWO issues here for many of us, not just the obvious one of losing weight.

The other issue is our relationship with food. I am seeing a common thread among many posters. Compulsive or uncontrolled overeating. Using food as medication I called it in my life. Maybe there are those out there who finally realized that a portion of chicken is the size of your palm not the size of a small textbook and said, "Oh wow! I didn't know that. I'll simply change to that palm size portion from now on and I'll do great. Thanks for telling me that. I had no clue why I was gaining so much weight. I should be fine now. Oh, and eat more vegetables you say? Another thing I didn't know." Those people just chose lifestyle change and probably did fine but I think most of us champion dieters know all of those diet facts, we simply couldn't get a handle on our desires to eat. Now of course this isn't true for everyone, I know that. But for a lot of us it is.

So I am beginning to understand the lessons the band is here to teach us. Weight loss is a priority. It has many benefits, this I know. But what we also may need to focus on is "How did I get this fat?" I spent all of the summer of 2009 writing down the true nature of how I got so fat. And what I found at the root of it all was a compulsive eating issue, social issues, personal issues, and just about any other issue you could think of. That's when I decided to get the band. I needed help and it has helped, but I had to do some serious soul searching & looking at issues within myself I really didn't want to look at. In the past when I didn't want to look at something I covered it up with food. Now, I use the band to kind of force myself to delve into my issues and deal with them appropriately. Admittedly some days are better than others.

But besides the weight loss, the band helps us, if we let it, free mindspace for us to look at our relationship with food. If we allow the band to do it's job so we struggle less we might just free up some great brain space and time to really delve into well, not to put to fine of a point on it....how we got this fat.

So if you find yourself focusing so severely on actual weight loss just remember that there is another side to this band. The side of the self. The actions we took that got us to this weight. And when you are ready, please make sure you take a look at those actions. It's the only true way we will every really overcome our overeating and have a healthy balanced relationship with food.

Just something to think about. Why is it that some people get bariatric surgery, lose weight and then put it back on? Think about it for a minute. The process may have helped them lose the weight s obviously weight loss is possible, but did they ever really deal with their food issues successfully? Baring metabolic issues, I'd say that a good portion of those who gained back the weight did not come to terms with why the put the weight on in the first place. Just a guess. I sympathize. After all, coming to terms with who we are and why we do certain things, especially self destructive things is a difficult row to hoe and a long row as well. It can take years to really figure yourself out. And once you do I guarantee there will be new things to figure out, but that's what makes us human.

So remember to look at both houses of the lap band, weight loss AND personal growth. I feel confident in saying that if you do you'll have a life long success story to tell.

Again, just my personal observations.